Options

Tracey Lee "The Theme"

edited December 2008 in Strut Central
My sister wants this on her ipod for Christmas, anybody got it on mp3? I'm getting her a case of wine too, she likes to party.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's party time, oh it's party time... such a strange song. It was a HUGE record in Philly at the time. Still is sort of.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0784on

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I loved this record when it came out. It seemed to be everywhere at one point, yet (perhaps somewhat surprisingly) it never really became one of those tunes you can throw on at a party years later and know it'll get the crowd open.

Or does my Local Tracey Lee Experience differ from that of the rest of the Strut?

• First rap song to reference the internet?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    In Philly it was a big party record.

• Options
    Thanks my man!! I sent her a link to the download page, I appreciate it holmes. I never got tired of this song because it never got overplayed; definitely a strange, pointless record!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Ah man, I remember this joint. The beat was crazy!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Several years ago, I was trying to do a record with Brother J, and he said he had always wanted to do something off "Mt. Airy Groove" and kept mentioning the Tracey Lee cut as a reference (he said he liked the skip of the drums). I thought it was interesting that he was so geeked off this left-field semi-hit record.

In Philly it was a big party record.

I can see why, listening to it again now (thanks for the mp3), because I've not heard it for a long time. In some ways, it's just a bunch of old-school hooks (Malcolm McLaren, Jazzy Five, Kurtis Blow) with a kinda Meth-sounding rapper on top, and that's not a bad recipe for a party jam. Maybe I should dig this one out again.

"Mt. Airy Groove"

Oh, shit, of course! The little electronic scratch kind of sound came from that, didn't it? I always remember it first from "Jazzy Sensation", because that's where I heard it first, but they'd have been referencing the Pieces of a Dream joint anyway. What a dufus.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    that sound was dope

i think I have the single I will look for it now thanks you