Fusk presents

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Really though. My mother and my sisters are impossible to buy gifts for. I've been looking since this time last year. I'm not salty, but I'm also not about to get crazed in the streets of NYC trying to find "the gift that counts". My sisters do not read books, and neither does my mom, nor do they appreciate music in a way that makes it a viable gift. I know my dad will be happy with any tshirt I get him, but I'm scarred on the mother/sister tipe. Fusk presents.

Comments

• Options
    a bottle of vino for your moms.b, 21b, 21terry cloth robe for sis.

• lingerie

• gift certificates, khiels or sephora or whatever the ladies are feeling these days.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Really though. My mother and my sisters are impossible to buy gifts for. I've been looking since this time last year. I'm not salty, but I'm also not about to get crazed in the streets of NYC trying to find "the gift that counts". My sisters do not read books, and neither does my mom, nor do they appreciate music in a way that makes it a viable gift. I know my dad will be happy with any tshirt I get him, but I'm scarred on the mother/sister tipe. Fusk presents.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21man, are you bitter at everything in life?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Bitter at nothing really. More socially disconnected, and feeling the pressure of particpating in holiday gift giving. My mother has actually cried because of 'bad presents'. Non-Jewish strutters may not understand.

I actually came out on top this year though. Found my mom some nice things for the kitchen, and some fancy Swedish paper clips. Salvor Kiosk related.

• "Hey Mom, what would you like this year?"

if she can't tell you anything, lump of coal.

• gift certificates

Dont get caught up in the game.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Snuggies for all.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Your sisters and mom don't read or like music, so art is out of the question. Do they like to smell nice? Do any of them have a shoe or handbag fetish? Do any of them wear makeup? Women aren't as big of a mystery as you think they are.

*smelly things. Nice handlotions and bodywashes are usually a win. Bath & Body Works is in every mall and would work for the sisters. Just notice if she likes fruity smells versus perfumey-florals.

*Candles. White Barn Candle Co and a million other places sell nice candles in pretty jars. Try to match a candle to someone's living room or kitchen set so they can double it as a decoration.

*Gift certificate to Sephora (high-end makeup, basically expensive bottled glittler). This is for the sister who likes cosmetics.

*Gift cert to a favorite store.

*Gift cert disclaimer: women might perceive a gift card as impersonal and an "easy way out,"[/b] so pair it with a nice greeting card and stocking stuffer type thing, like a tube of nice lip gloss (Sephora), mini Godiva chocolate box, etc.

*Why don't you and your sisters pitch in to get momma something nice, like a Coach purse, or a new dinnerware set if she needs one?

*Gift packaging[/b] is key! If you can't don't know how, go to the back of a department store and have them wrap something professionally, or to save money, ask a crafty friend. Or get a nice gift bag from the drug store and stuff it with gift tissue. The packaging is key, and makes it look like you put a lot of thought in.

*Don't forget the greeting card

I am full of girly gift ideas, and I can help you dudes out via PM if that's necessary. Happy shopping!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

*Gift cert disclaimer: women might perceive a gift card as impersonal and an "easy way out,"[/b] so pair it with a nice greeting card and stocking stuffer type thing, like a tube of nice lip gloss (Sephora), mini Godiva chocolate box, etc.

Yeah, no doubt. For the most part, if I give a gift card to someone,
    even if they asked for it, I get some little actual gift to wrap with it.
    I buy my wrapping paper and cards at Paper Source, and will usually get a
    little boxed set of notecards or something like that to wrap with the
    gift cards. Makes for a nice extra and gives them a gift to unwrap.

• i know my nephews always want money because they save for stuff like ipods and video games. every once in a while i throw the money in a box and wrap it to confuse the fusk out of them - garment size boxes. nobody wants your aunt picking out clothes for you right? i can picture the looks on their faces when i hand it to them too. smiling to be polite and whatnot. good times.

sorry for the threadjack. i agree with gift cards being safe for those impossible to shop for

• I actually came out on top this year though. Found my mom some nice things for the kitchen, and some fancy Swedish paper clips. Salvor Kiosk related.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU FIND ANYTHING TO BUY THERE???
    Love the store+idea, have no idea what/how/why to buy.
    I think a lot of things there look great as part of a greater idea or collection- I imagine getting a small cup of hand-turned lincoln logs by some quakers in pennsylvania for $25 might not seem as interesting at home next to ...

BAH, now i just sound grumpy

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

*Candles. White Barn Candle Co and a million other places sell nice candles in pretty jars. Try to match a candle to someone's living room or kitchen set so they can double it as a decoration.

I know I caught shit with the socks suggestion in the other thread, but with all due respect, I'd rather get socks than candles.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Your sisters and mom don't read or like music, so art is out of the question. Do they like to smell nice? Do any of them have a shoe or handbag fetish? Do any of them wear makeup? Women aren't as big of a mystery as you think they are.

*smelly things. Nice handlotions and bodywashes are usually a win. Bath & Body Works is in every mall and would work for the sisters. Just notice if she likes fruity smells versus perfumey-florals.

*Gift certificate to Sephora (high-end makeup, basically expensive bottled glittler). This is for the sister who likes cosmetics.

*Gift cert to a favorite store.

*Why don't you and your sisters pitch in to get momma something nice, like a Coach purse, or a new dinnerware set if she needs one?

*Gift packaging[/b] is key! If you can't don't know how, go to the back of a department store and have them wrap something professionally, or to save money, ask a crafty friend. Or get a nice gift bag from the drug store and stuff it with gift tissue. The packaging is key, and makes it look like you put a lot of thought in.

*Don't forget the greeting card

I am full of girly gift ideas, and I can help you dudes out via PM if that's necessary. Happy shopping!

God bless our 3 or 4 Strut "den mothers"...they have their work cut out for them.

haha, there's actually a bunch of us. Me, edithhead, elise, djanna, justalice, selinakyle, bassie. Probably others.

• haha, there's actually a bunch of us. Me, edithhead, elise, djanna, justalice, selinakyle, bassie. Probably others.

Don't forget Young_Phonics. He's more effeminate than everybody you've listed!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts

• *Gift packaging[/b] is key!

The past couple years I've just given my brother cash (he's a broke ass Columbia student).

Last year I gave him an empty shoebox with 50 crisp ones as the wrapping paper. Two years ago I wrapped two heavy ass boxes of rolled pennies ($25 each).

This year I had to step it up. Since we were little, my brother and I have had this game where we flip each other off when my Mom's looking the other way. We try to get each other caught by Mom.

So he'll get this $60 in fives tomorrow:

Then when Mom's not looking...BAM!:

I got him.

For Mom, I got her a beach cruiser and my sis and I are giving her $200 to go towards a plane ticket to New York for my brother's graduation in May. I tried to get all super duper creative with an airplane between a saguaro cactus and the Statue Of Liberty, but it looked sucky so I settled for this (the thing in front of the N is supposed to be an airplane):

I hope they appreciate this!

• nice work Herm.

• herm, you are the motherfuckin man...no queston

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

*Gift packaging[/b] is key!

The past couple years I've just given my brother cash (he's a broke ass Columbia student).

Last year I gave him an empty shoebox with 50 crisp ones as the wrapping paper. Two years ago I wrapped two heavy ass boxes of rolled pennies ($25 each).

This year I had to step it up. Since we were little, my brother and I have had this game where we flip each other off when my Mom's looking the other way. We try to get each other caught by Mom.

So he'll get this $60 in fives tomorrow:

Then when Mom's not looking...BAM!:

I got him.

For Mom, I got her a beach cruiser and my sis and I are giving her $200 to go towards a plane ticket to New York for my brother's graduation in May. I tried to get all super duper creative with an airplane between a saguaro cactus and the Statue Of Liberty, but it looked sucky so I settled for this (the thing in front of the N is supposed to be an airplane):

I hope they appreciate this!

this is genius. im stealing this next year

• this is genius. im stealing this next year

Thank you, sir!

I just realized I should've centered the "or" in the middle of the hand so that the middle finger would cover it and it would just be left with "F U Damian!"

Dang it, dang it, dang it! Oh well...

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Add Herm to that list of SS den mothers giving the rest of us heathens good ideas.

Herm, you are amazing. Taking your arts to the

Do you pay for all your raers in quarters? Down payment on the car in one dollar bills?

• Herm, you are amazing. Taking your arts to the

Do you pay for all your raers in quarters? Down payment on the car in one dollar bills?

Ha ha! I could've given 'em larger bills, but where's the fun in that??

b/w

I never understood the logic behind giving someone a Visa Giftcard. It's like "I wanna give you a hundred dollars, but rather than just hand it to you I think I'll give Visa $5 first."

My friends always argue "But they can use it to pay bills!" Ummm...can't they put it in their acct and pay with their own damn card??