japan

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Has more record stores in one city than we can imagine.

Where is their record nerd message board (they sure aren't here!)? I want to trade with those dudes.

Help me out. I need rare Japanese avant garde for rare US funk.

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    From what I've heard Japan is a lot different than the US. The store people don't want to talk at all. (yea that happens here too). It might just be a cultural thing as well. I've heard that you don't just talk to random people over in Japan. Plus, the stores are really specialized and small. Having said that the people I've talked to never got too far out of Tokyo.

I guess the sample sections are just crazy detailed with huge stickers detailing all the people that have sampled a record and such.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    yes i want japanese jazz

someone to please help me as well

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    rare Japanese avant garde for rare US funk

Get your own hustle, young Cashteero.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    rare Japanese avant garde for rare US funk

Get your own hustle, young Cashteero.

pffffft

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Has more record stores in one city than we can imagine.

truth. There are A LOT of record stores in Tokyo. Shibuya and Shimokita got a grip of quality ones.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    The cats selling to the japanese stores directly pretty much have it on lock... Its a tough hustle to break into...

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    funny

i just got back two days ago from a 2 week stint in japan

and i have to agree with the first statement... it is scary the amount of heat in japan stores

at least 150+ stores in tokyo alone... fucking mindblowing for an austinite as myself

the SHIMOKITAZAWA district in tokyo was the most intense...every time i walked out of one store..i wd look up and down the street and i would automatically see at least two more record stores...insane

i found the more mission impossible LP there for 480 yen... about 4 usd Mint condition

• slushslush 691 Posts
    SHIMOKITAZAWA

flash ranch has the coolest bag ever

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    hit me off for the japanese raers...

oh yeah, soulstrut favorite mr. big chan is out here in tokyo at the moment... hoping to catch some dinner with him on Monday... i'll post some pics...

peace.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    SHIMOKITAZAWA

flash ranch has the coolest bag ever

awwwww man. good times. I found a couple good ones in Shimotokita too, but my best find, which was oneness of juju- African Rhythms for 35 USD was found in Disc Union in Shibuya. Needless to say, I have fond memories of that place now.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea whatever! Hong Kong's got better heat y'all just don't know it!

nah, i'm just haterin..

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    The funny thing for me when I was in Osaka was for the first few months i didn't find a lot of the stores. I walked past heaps before i started noticing the tiny signs which led into back alleys and up stairways to tiny record stores.The book Recordmap was an essential purchase and in the main area of Osaka (Namba, America Mura) there might have been 30-50 stores all in cycling distance from each other.