Ju Par Universal Orchestra...2 covers?

SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Here's a lil dude/record dork question:I recently purchased the excellent-sounding Ju Par Orchestra "Mood and Grooves" reissue and noticed that the cover art is completely different from OG copies being sold on eBay. vs.As you can see, the reissue looks like some kind of private press joint while the supposedly-OG version looks like yer garden-variety, major label disco LP (Ju Par was distributed by Motown, no?). My question is this: which one of these designs was really used on the 1st issue of this LP, and when/why was the artwork changed?SG

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The top cover is the second press. Sucker central on ebay. The reissued cover is the OG and the only one that should be going for more than $30-40...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Thanks for droppin' tonnes of knowledge!

SG

The top cover is the second press. Sucker central on ebay. The reissued cover is the OG and the only one that should be going for more than $30-40...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here's a lil dude/record dork question:

I recently purchased the excellent-sounding Ju Par Orchestra "Mood and Grooves" reissue and noticed that the cover art is completely different from OG copies being sold on eBay.

vs.

As you can see, the reissue looks like some kind of private press joint while the supposedly-OG version looks like yer garden-variety, major label disco LP (Ju Par was distributed by Motown, no?).

My question is this: which one of these designs was really used on the 1st issue of this LP, and when/why was the artwork changed?

SG

Both are from the 70s. I perfer the headphones cover, the other looks like a George Winston record.

Dan

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

• cardovacardova 743 Posts

and it only gets dorkier: there's two slightly different (og) versions of the waterfall cover. don't ask me what the difference is or which came first, it's been years since i had both at the same time.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    any other LPs on the Ju-Par label???

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    From bsnpubs.com's Miscellaneous Motown Labels Album Discography

"JU-PAR ALBUM DISCOGRAPHY:

The Ju-Par label was distributed by Motown in 1977. The first Ju-Par label has "JU-PAR RECORDS LTD." above the center hole, with the address of the company as 13801 West 8 Mile Rd. Detroit, Michigan 48235. The second Ju-Par label was orange with black printing. "JU-PAR" above the center hole in black with a white oval underneath with "RECORDS LTD." in it. At the bottom of the label is "JU-PAR RECORDS/DISTRIBUTED BY MOTOWN RECORD CORP."

JP-1001 - Moods and Grooves - Ju-Par Universal Orchestra [1/77] When distributed by Motown, this album became JP6-1001S1. Funky Music/Beauty And The Beast/Time/Chicago Calypso//Mocha Velvet/Is Anyone Listening?/Flute Salad/Gotta Get-A-Way

JP6-1002S1 - In Good Taste - Flavor [5/77] Push The Past/Human Horns Intro-Got To Go/Lost Love/Magnifico//Can't Stand It No More/One Way Ticket/Don't Freeze Up/Body

JP6-1003S1 - Sly, Slick and Wicked - Sly, Slick & Wicked [8/77] When You're In Love/Nobody's Home/Love All Over The World/Money Back Guarantee //Can't Hold It Back No Longer/If This Ain't Really Love/Just Let Me Love You/We Won't Miss It

JP-1004 - Livin' Proof - Livin' Proof [1978] This record was probably not distributed by Motown. Disco Boogie/Show Me To Love/Let's Stay Together/Theme From Livin'Proof//Move Your Body/You And I, Parts 1 & 2/Remember The Love"

Livin Proof is just weak, Sly Slick & Wicked is ok but forgettable, that Flavor is kinda nice. Has a great tune as well as an open break ("One Way Ticket").

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    thanks for the Ju-Par info!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

and it only gets dorkier: there's two slightly different (og) versions of the waterfall cover. don't ask me what the difference is or which came first, it's been years since i had both at the same time.

One of the versions has a slightly tighter crop of the cover and a different waterfall perspective. I believe that version is the raerest.

The waterfall cover was discarded in favor of the later headphone cover because it didn't reflect the music within accurately and had an adverse effect on sales.

• Here's a lil dude/record dork question:

One of the versions has a slightly tighter crop of the cover and a different waterfall perspective. I believe that version is the raerest.

The waterfall cover was discarded in favor of the later headphone cover because it didn't reflect the music within accurately and had an adverse effect on sales.

The label-nr over the "S" of Grooves is on the other version more right. Also the title "Ju-Par ....." is lower down, at the top of left the mountains rock.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Seriously folks, wouldn't you rather have the cool headphones cover than that lame waterfall?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Seriously folks, wouldn't you rather have the cool headphones cover than that lame waterfall?

I've got the headphones and would rather have the waterfall

Unfortunately for me I missed out on a box (boxes?) of sealed copies of headphone sleeve. Ouch.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

I recently purchased the excellent-sounding Ju Par Orchestra "Mood and Grooves" reissue and noticed that the cover art is completely different from OG copies being sold on eBay.

vs.

As you can see, the reissue looks like some kind of private press joint while the supposedly-OG version looks like yer garden-variety, major label disco LP (Ju Par was distributed by Motown, no?).

My question is this: which one of these designs was really used on the 1st issue of this LP, and when/why was the artwork changed?

SG

Both are from the 70s. I perfer the headphones cover, the other looks like a George Winston record.

Dan

Co-sign, I don't need the first press of this one!

Kinda sick that the 2nd press went for $131. It should not be more than around $30. But it's a great $30 record! worth investing in.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4711864925

I'm pretty sure I saw the OG go for $75 recently.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Yes, I'm perfectly happy with my headphone copy, unless someone tells me there's something really outstanding on the back of the cover, the innersleeve, or some kind of insert, poster or whatever inside. It's a matter of taste, but the waterfall cover isn't all that exciting.