Johnny Pacheco

clint_torezclint_torez 87 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
For some reason I can't seem to find a Johnny Pacheco record that is worth a shit. Am I missing something here? For a man to have his hand in so many great projects I would think at least one of his solo efforts would have at least one banger. I must be missing something. School the kid.

Comments

• I mean it's straight ahead salsa, not sure what you're looking for. He was a very popular and prolific artist but not really down with the aesthetic that gets props from today's diggers eg Johnny Colon or Ray Barretto or what have you.

• There are some real good cuts on "Pacheco, His Flute and Latin Jam," and on "Volando Bajito." I also ride for his work with the Fania All Stars. Apart from that its all straight ahead charanga. Still, his production work and legacy are unfuckwithable. With Fania he took latin music to a whole 'nother level.

• Wordb, 21The Fania allstars stuff is classic for sure. I was thinking maybe he might have a descarga or boogaloo cut on at least one of his records. Now I think about what some of these records might have sounded like without Johnny the cookie cutter.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Now I think about what some of these records might have sounded like without Johnny the cookie cutter.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Dude your trippin, Johnny wrote most of the songs for the All Stars. Its one thing if you don't like charanga, but dismissing Pacheco as "cookie cutter" is straight ignorant. Pick up "Volando Bajito," shouldn't set you back more than $20, listen to "Negra Bon Bon," if you don't like that fall back from salsa all together. Pacheco's a f*cking genuis, recognize.

• There's a couple of killers on that "Latin Piper" album. More along the lines of what the kids like these days

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 Now I think about what some of these records might have sounded like without Johnny the cookie cutter.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Dude your trippin, Johnny wrote most of the songs for the All Stars. Its one thing if you don't like charanga, but dismissing Pacheco as "cookie cutter" is straight ignorant. Pick up "Volando Bajito," shouldn't set you back more than $20, listen to "Negra Bon Bon," if you don't like that fall back from salsa all together. Pacheco's a f*cking genuis, recognize.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, this is one of SoulStrut's more ridiculous moments.b, 21b, 21Johnny Pacheco: not funky enough for SoulStrut

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Jonny PAYChecko?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Dude your trippin, Johnny wrote most of the songs for the All Stars. Its one thing if you don't like charanga, but dismissing Pacheco as "cookie cutter" is straight ignorant. Pick up "Volando Bajito," shouldn't set you back more than $20, listen to "Negra Bon Bon," if you don't like that fall back from salsa all together. Pacheco's a f*cking genuis, recognize.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'll check those suggestions. Suggestions are pretty much what I was looking for in the first place. Cookie cutter might not have been the best choice of words for the dude, but I'm sayin your reaction is a bit hostile. I am super fan of most of the fania all stars stuff but I hadn't heard anything similar in the johnny Pacheco records.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I'll check those suggestions. Suggestions are pretty much what I was looking for in the first place. Cookie cutter might not have been the best choice of words for the dude, but I'm sayin your reaction is a bit hostile. I am super fan of most of the fania all stars stuff but I hadn't heard anything similar in the johnny Pacheco records.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I hear you, writing songs for the all-stars was a different beast than writing for himself. Maybe I worded my response too strongly but a lot of people tend to write off Pacheco and his music when they shouldn't. Hope you enjoy the recommendation.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Canonazo is my favorite Pacheco record--it's one of his earlier ones. Very solid mid 60s salsa, no funky stuff, no violins/flutes.b, 21b, 21img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/reynaldo209/johnny-pacheco-canonazo-front.jpg"1b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.divshare.com/download/6070606-0fc" target="_blank"1http://www.divshare.com/download/6070606-0fc/a1b, 21b, 21Pacheco At The N.Y. World's Fair and Sabor Tipico are also worth checking out.

• gracias, senor reynaldo!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Is that Pete Rodriguez, the boogaloo crooner, I assume?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Is that Pete Rodriguez, the boogaloo crooner, I assume?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21It's Pete "El Conde" Rodriguez.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    ah, gotcha