Anyone see "Cadillac Records" yet?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 or img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21?

Comments

• i havent seen it yetb, 21b, 21maybe in the next week or sob, 21b, 21but the word is that even though they falsified basic facts about Chess Records, and there's too much Beyonce, it's still a good movie in spite of itself.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, reviews have been mixed but reviewers who I generally respect gave it high marks. Apparently, Jeffrey Wright kills and Beyonce is less annoying that you'd think.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Yeah, reviews have been mixed but reviewers who I generally respect gave it high marks. Apparently, Jeffrey Wright kills and Beyonce is less annoying that you'd think.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21I've read some good reviews, and while I'm sure that Wright is excellent, I imagine I'd sit there the whole time wondering what the f*ck happened to Phil Chess....

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21?????????????????????????????b, 21b, 21Are you implying Beyonce is gonna kick off an Etta James resurgence just like Diana did for Billie?

• Naw...I saw a review that said Beyonce is channelling Ross' Billie portrayal.

• While we're on the subject (and to keep from starting yet another Cadillac Records thread...)b, 21b, 21There supposedly is another movie about Chess coming out in early 2009...I think it's called Who Do You Love. Any thoughts?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21While we're on the subject (and to keep from starting yet another
    Cadillac Records thread...)b, 21b, 21There supposedly is another movie about Chess coming out in early 2009...I think it's called Who Do You Love. Any thoughts? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21The one with Amy Winehouse as Etta James and Mickey Rourke as Howling Wolf??

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    Cadillac Records thread...)b, 21b, 21There supposedly is another movie about Chess coming out in early 2009...I think it's called Who Do You Love. Any thoughts? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21The one with Amy Winehouse as Etta James and Mickey Rourke as Howling Wolf??
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21visualizing this is scary and funny at the same time...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21The one with Amy Winehouse as Etta James and Mickey Rourke as Howling Wolf??
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21
    b, 21visualizing this is scary and funny at the same time...
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I am think an off-off-off-OFF Broadway avant-garde play, those 2 in the those roles and Little Richard as God. Or maybe Bob Barker.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I heer tell thet Leonard Chess is portrayed as a user and abuser who got Etta James hooked on heroin so he could pimp out her musically and use her physically. I'd never heard it told quite like that. I hope the rumo(u)rs are untrue.

• I aint spending any money on what looks like to be a cheese fest with shitty newly recorded songs and bullshit 12 notes per syllable singing crap. I will spend the money on some actual Chess records. Ill wait for the VH1 showing of it...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ^^^ anger issues ^^^b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Thoroughly enjoyed it. Just got back from seeing it. I would drop all the Beyonce parts however, except for where she's just singing.

• It's either that or Mother Daughter Exchange Club #3[/b] that comes out in two weeks.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Thoroughly enjoyed it. Just got back from seeing it. I would drop all the Beyonce parts however, except for where she's just singing.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21When it comes out on DVD, I wonder if someone will put it together that way, like the a href="http://fanedit.org/" target="_blank"1Fanedit version of "The Simpsons Movie". That I would watch.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    so what up? Anyone see this yet?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I heer tell thet Leonard Chess is portrayed as a user and abuser who got Etta James hooked on heroin so he could pimp out her musically and use her physically. I'd never heard it told quite like that. I hope the rumo(u)rs are untrue.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21yeah curious if this is the case also. I haven't peeped this movie yet either. Reviews I've read suggest that although the movie flirts with the White/Jewish-dudes-exploiting-Black-artists narrative, that ultimately the Chess' come across as actually having some genuine compassion for their artists.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Dudes - I would make the local news losing my mind and verbally attacking innocent people standing in line at the theatre if this was true.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I heer tell thet Leonard Chess is portrayed as a user and abuser who got Etta James hooked on heroin so he could pimp out her musically and use her physically. I'd never heard it told quite like that. I hope the rumo(u)rs are untrue.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'd have to check, but I don't remember this in her auto-biography. She may have had reasons to "protect" the Chess family, the label, etc. and so not say so**, but I think the story is her using before she got to the label.b, 21b, 21**David Ritz who co-wrote it, is a decidely dirt- and scandal-free biographer, so who knows...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21so what up? Anyone see this yet?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Just caught it at the cineplex last night. As to be expected, it does play around with the facts a little bit, and the timeline is a little fuzzy too - Muddy Waters had already played overseas more than once by 1967, he didn't just start playing there that year. But as plain ole entertainment, it was pretty good.b, 21b, 21Even better: it didn't turn into i1The Beyonce Knowles Show[/i]. Yeah, she was there, but no more so than the guy who played Muddy, who is always on the scene whenever something dramatic happens.b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21yeah curious if this is the case also. I haven't peeped this movie yet either. Reviews I've read suggest that although the movie flirts with the White/Jewish-dudes-exploiting-Black-artists narrative, that ultimately the Chess' come across as actually having some genuine compassion for their artists.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21IIRC from Etta's autobio, the Chess brothers did see her through some hard times, but I don't recall Etta talking about anything sexual going down. b, 21b, 21And BTW, if you're talking about the movie, you mean "Chess." Not "the Chesses." Phil and Marshall Chess are nowhere to be seen...neither are Sonny Boy Williamson or Bo Diddley, but then again that'd be too many subplots for a two-hour movie.

• THIS IS NOT A SPOILER ALERT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AFFECT THE PLOT IN ANY WAY[/b] Why is a modern-day Beyonce song playing over the closing credits? With hardly ANY connection to the records that Chess put out? I know she (helped) put up the $$$ for this, but god-damn...

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21And BTW, if you're talking about the movie, you mean "Chess." Not "the Chesses." Phil and Marshall Chess are nowhere to be seen...neither are Sonny Boy Williamson or Bo Diddley, but then again that'd be too many subplots for a two-hour movie.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21word so no brothers in the movie? wierd.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    THIS IS NOT A SPOILER ALERT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AFFECT THE PLOT IN ANY WAY[/b] Why is a modern-day Beyonce song playing over the closing credits? With hardly ANY connection to the records that Chess put out? I know she (helped) put up the $$$ for this, but god-damn... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Is it a Beyonce song or a Sascha Fierce song?

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    THIS IS NOT A SPOILER ALERT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T AFFECT THE PLOT IN ANY WAY[/b] Why is a modern-day Beyonce song playing over the closing credits? With hardly ANY connection to the records that Chess put out? I know she (helped) put up the $$$ for this, but god-damn... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Is it a Beyonce song or a Sascha Fierce song?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21It's Etta Bag'o'Donuts[/b] her alter-alter-ego....

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21It's
    Etta Bag'o'Donuts[/b] her alter-alter-ego.... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21LOLOLOL