Silence between tracks on CDs (help related)

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
The problem is that after recording a mix as 1 long track, I mastered it to CD fine & just put track markers in as it mastered down in real time. Fine so far but now when I go to duplicate the master CD using media player it automatically puts in extra silence between the track markers thus interrupting the mix. Usually I use a program which copies the disc as an image and this solves the problem, but the computer that is on just died. Anyone know of another way to solve this?? I really kills the continuity of any mix CDs I give to people.

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i've asked this before and the kind souls told me its on your CD burning programme.

there should be an option before you start burning that ask you whether you want 'disc-at-once' or 'track-at-once'.

you want the disc-at-once burning option.

if you haven't got that, try other burning softwares like Easy CD Creator has that option.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah I figured it would be all about that. Looks like I'll have to install easy cd creator on this other computer too. I just wasted a spool of CDs without even checking though, so mad at myself.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    haha...yea same thing happened to me all the time.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    As someone who trades live shows, it comes with the territory.

DAO = disc at once
    TAO = track at once

If you're doing to burn a seamless live show, or a full mix with no interruptions, always go DAO. It basically means the laser will continue to burn information without gaps. You are burning the entire "disc at once", essentially.

TAO is a bit self explanatory, if you are making a compilation CD and like to have some sense of pacing (i.e. 2 second gaps inbetween each track), use that. Some programs make it possible to fix the amount of seconds inbetween each track, which is good for any radio stations that play CD's and you can have a 5 to 10 second gap inbetween. Of course if you're doing a radio show, you should know when and where your songs fade or go cold.