nostalgia ' 89 ish: Rap Traxx Cassettes ?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I think this is the one forum in the world that would know what i'm talking about, but one of the first things that got me into rap was this compilation series called "rap traxx" which was a compilation of the most popular tunes 1989ish 1990. I had rap traxx 3, and in retrospect thinking of the tracks that were on these things, it was great, because its not like they were tracks that EVERYONE knows today i.e. "let your back bone slide", "choice is yours" etc, but they were still popular tracks. anyone remember these things and the tracks they had? it would be a great mix.

rap traxx 3 had as i recall;

nighmare on my street-fresh prince
buffaolo stance-neneh
im that type of guy-ll
mary mary-run dmc
shake your thang -salt n peppa
say no go-de la (best song ever)
my philosophy-krs
slick rick-children's story
drop the needle (i had to run to the boom box and put the volume low when he maestro went 'do the hula hula now PHUCK it...moms wasn't having that, haha i can't believe i just remembered that)
arg there's more but i can't remember..i wish there was a rap top 40 chart or something back then, cause a lot of these songs weren't on the radio but were big cause of older brothers and sisters..and it was more of the innocent rap stuff, i was still like "swear words and drugs are bad phase" so no nwa back then.

speaking of traxx, i also got my first pair of high cut sneakers called "Traxx" in grade 5...while everyone was wearing flights, my cheap ass was wearing "Traxx", some sort of generic rip off that they sold at bargain harolds. nonetheless they were high tops, so i was proud.

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    speaking of traxx, i also got my first pair of high cut sneakers called "Traxx" in grade 5...while everyone was wearing flights, my cheap ass was wearing "Traxx", some sort of generic rip off that they sold at bargain harolds. nonetheless they were high tops, so i was proud.

"I asked her for Adidas, and she bought me Zips!
    I said, 'Mom, what are you doin' you'll ruin my rep!'
    She said, 'you're only 16, you don't have a rep yet'"

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    There were tons of compilation series like that. I think I have a "Rapmasters" laying around - I think a lot of them were edited and were sold mostly through K-Mart and Supermarkets back when Supermarkets sold everything. I know the one I have has NWA, Just Ice, Afrika Bambataa, Ice-T, Stetsasonic, and more.

I guess these series' were popular as there used to be a ton of them.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Rapmasters kicked ass. Used to cop mad premademixtaperapmasterjawns from Jamesway (anyone remember that store?)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I remember the red alert various tapes... Use to like those.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I remember this one generic ass rap tape I had, I think it was called rap hits maybe. It had shit like Rammalzee vs K Rob and Pumpkin on it alongside the usual Run D.M.C., Whodini, Stetsasonic etc. That was one dope ass generic tape. i think I got it at like Bartell's for 2.99 or some shit.

Rapmasters kicked ass. Used to cop mad premademixtaperapmasterjawns from Jamesway (anyone remember that store?)

Haha they were all edited though, weren't they? I remember I thought it was a dope way to circumvent the issue of my ten year old hands scooping up 2 Live and NWA tracks until I found out they were edited beyond recognition.

Seeing what others have said I do think they were the "Wal-Mart-ed" versions of songs made for cheapy chain stores - like the K-Tel of Hip Hop.

oh and here's mine