Beat Up Fender Rhodes

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
So i'm looking at a beat up 72 key stage Feder Rhodes to refurb. Cosmetically it's pretty beat up, 5 or 6 keys don't work, no pedal, no suitcase, nothing. These are pretty easy to refub right? How much would you think it would be worth as is? and how much do you think it would cost to fix up?

Comments

• I have no advice to offer you on these matters but if yer gonna be rockin' Fountain Sq. with that I encourage your efforts. Buy it!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21So i'm looking at a beat up 72 key stage Feder Rhodes to refurb. Cosmetically it's pretty beat up, 5 or 6 keys don't work, no pedal, no suitcase, nothing. These are pretty easy to refub right? How much would you think it would be worth as is? and how much do you think it would cost to fix up?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 211st things: What would it cost you? You've got some major walk-away leverage there.

• Dude's wanted $350 out of it...I offered $200. I'll probably have to meet in the middle somewhere, but I really don't want to put more than $250 in it.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I paid $350 for a mkII suitcase, but the amp is on the fritz, which basicly makes it a stage with a big heavy stand. Other then that it looks and sounds great. b, 21b, 21there are many sites that you can order parts from, but they are all pretty pricey... depending on your location, $200 seems fairb, 21b, 21also, are you sure its not a 1972 73-key?

• Dude those are very complicated to refurb/tune. They are kind of mechanically complicated. 100$

• I would recomend scooping it. Most likely the reason the keys aren't working would be a broken tines which is the most common break on the rhodes. Easy repair, about 30$ per key if that is the problem and tuning shouldn't be to much either. If you decide to tune it and you aren't planning on moving it all over the place then the tuning should stay in place for a long while.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Recent Rhodes restoration thread:b, 21b, 21a href="http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=1177516&Searchpage=2&Main=1177516&Words=fender_UBBT_PHRASE_rhodes_UBBT_PHRASE_appreciation&topic=&Search=true#Post1177516" target="_blank"1http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1177516/a1b, 21b, 21LordRadio, you never did come through with the pics of your pimped out blue led backlight keys piana.b, 21b, 21Bring it!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    From personal experience, it's preferable to get one in better condition and not have to go crazy trying to find someone who actually knows how to tune one of those and get the parts, etc..b, 21I own a Fender Rhodes 73 which is kind of a bitch because of its weight and from what I've been told, more difficult restoration process. Unfortunately the Fender rhodes forum wasn't much help when I had some problems and Youtube instructional videos are scarce and not all that helpful.b, 21In essence, if you want to be able to play and truly enjoy it, you might want to spend a lil' more on one that's already in good condition so you can avoid all the BS of restoring it and all. I personally would get a Rhodes vs a Fender Rhodes if I had to make that choice again. The sound is different and you might appreciate one more than the other. b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/waaambulance.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21BTW, don't forget that you'll need to invest even more cash for a proper amp once you get the Rhodes.

• dam thats cool as hell

• Dude, that blue LED steez is pimping.b, 21b, 21So the consensus is, I should spend a little bit more and get a working model and don't mess with trying to piece one together?b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/walkawaysonfinal.gif" alt="" 21

• yes. b, 21b, 21or offer like 100$ and be willign to step if he doesn't accept it. b, 21b, 21doing work on the mechanical portions of the rhodes is complicated and may not be worth your time. It would be better to find one that is cosmetically fucked and give it the treatment as I did. The blue LEDs are just style points.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    What kind of amp are you rocking with that?b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ss.gif" alt="" 21 ?

• Direct - Groove Tubes ViPREb, 21Amp - Fender Vibro Champ OG I like the small amp because i can crank the volume to get it to really blaze / distort without it being at Back TO The Future levels.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    ha, thats crazy I was wondering how a rhodes would look with hard wood and no tolex... nice. b, 21b, 21what does the red button do? The lights?

• Yes.b, 21b, 21DC on off button for the LEDs I rigged up. 1$ at radio shack

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    LR, that custom job looks smooooth.b, 21Proper setting for cranking out some bloodshitters.

• have you used it on any PUTS tracks?b, 21i would like to hear how yours sounds now.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    what do the dyno guys do to the action?b, 21b, 21Well I know they make it more responsive, but how?