So I'm trying to buy a house....

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
And the wife says "Maybe now would be a good time to go through your records and get rid of some of the ones you don't need...."b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21hmmmmm.b, 21b, 21b, 21Sure there are some CTI turds in there. A childrens record or two that I don't need. b, 21b, 21Do I really need every record with a break? Maybe not, but if my hard drive ever crashes I might want to sample them again someday....b, 21b, 21Do I need records like "________ goes disco"? Need is a pretty strong word I guess.... b, 21b, 21I can't get rid of my rap records. We still plan on partying here and there, and you gotta have those, as well as the funk and shit.b, 21b, 21the easy listening records? thats tough. damn I have a lot of those. and I never know what kind of bug I'll get up my ass. I might all of a sudden be into duelling piano cover tunes and wish i hadn't gotten rid of all the ferrante and teacher.b, 21b, 21I have 2 expedits full right now. I don't listen to 80% of those records. but I don't know what to get rid of. i know as soon as i get rid of them i'll regret it.b, 21b, 21the real answer is to go through each record, listen to it, and then throw it in the "yes" or "no" pile. But I don't have time for that shit.b, 21b, 21b, 21jeez. i know people on here always talk about what a great feeling it is to purge the collection, but damn.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I've lowered my collection to 2 expedits (including my saplebreaks,thatshotyoo section)b, 21b, 21by going though this processb, 21b, 21you hve time and its easy and you need to do it if only for moving purposesb, 21b, 21step1- b, 21Pull out records and have a rapid of course i keep pile, considering dropping pileb, 21b, 21be very discriminating you will have a chance to retake them laterb, 21b, 21b, 21step 2 -b, 21b, 21from that pile of possibly discardablesb, 21b, 21you needle drop quickly (like when you come back from the thriftb, 21b, 21and assess why you kept them...hear that break..is it really worth it?b, 21couple of songs (do I have a backup mp3 recording)b, 21b, 21asking yourself these questions and pile in order of still keeping...still unsureb, 21b, 21step 3b, 21youre really left over pileb, 21you discrimnate hard and keep only a few..itll feel good to get rid of jheri curl record no 1243934 and others that although they may have been cool are not worth itb, 21b, 21final stepb, 21show your resulting terd to wifeyb, 21make 3 piles setsale,records store,good willb, 21box and dispose accrodinglyb, 21you ll make alittle money and feel betterb, 21b, 21Bonus Beatb, 21Use this occastion to re-evalue and re organize your collectionb, 21b, 21every time i move i do this with records and all possesionsb, 21b, 21its an important processb, 21b, 21oull thank me when your older (grippeur dad taught me by bad exmaple related)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    say, thats a pretty good method. If I have some time I will follow this method.b, 21b, 21Thanks!

• That's the pull out method.b, 21b, 21It is only 95% effective.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21That's the pull out method.b, 21b, 21It is only 95% effective. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21HA! which is why Sai has a little sister!

• Clean out your collection before you move and thank me later...b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Dress

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21And the wife says "Maybe now would be a good time to go through your records and get rid of some of the ones you don't need...." b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21is this more of a financial issue or space issue?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Damn, Gary. I was just doing this same thing. We're about to put down an offer for a place on 32nd st. It'll be our first house if all goes through like we think it will. During the record edit process, I set aside a couple banjo records for you. I guess you won't want them.b, 21b, 21Holler if you want to go in on a garage-sale style record purge. It's coming soon for me.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    Don't throw anything away until you have upped the Breaks'n'Banjos mix I know you are working on.

• Before the Baby came, I stripped down my collection to 2 Expedits, thats it now. my challenge is to have these wo Shelfs and no extra records on the Floor. This is why I??m cheating: all my Record Bags and flight Cases are full.b, 21On the other Hand I endourse PMCR??s Method, and yes, before you move. And it takes ages. (I got rid of 1200 records and gave every single record a Shot)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Damn, Gary. I was just doing this same thing. We're about to put down an offer for a place on 32nd st. It'll be our first house if all goes through like we think it will. During the record edit process, I set aside a couple banjo records for you. I guess you won't want them.b, 21b, 21Holler if you want to go in on a garage-sale style record purge. It's coming soon for me. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21we may have to do this....

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Damn, Gary. I was just doing this same thing. We're about to put down an offer for a place on 32nd st. It'll be our first house if all goes through like we think it will. During the record edit process, I set aside a couple banjo records for you. I guess you won't want them.b, 21b, 21Holler if you want to go in on a garage-sale style record purge. It's coming soon for me. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21b, 21we may have to do this.... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I'm sure Mylatency would be down too. He's trying to sell everything. Between the three of us, we could have a massive sale.b, 21b, 21One cube at a time. I've got about 200 set aside to sell already.b, 21b, 21We'd need to make a no-trade rule so we don't end up taking home as many records as we get rid of.