My Friday Night Gig................

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Looking for a new weekend gig as I was fired yesterday! They said I don't listen to them (The owner) and I'm one of those "dj's that's too cool to play what they want"!!!!! They said I played Ying Yang Twins and that is not acceptable! Mind you this is their "Hip Hop" night and I had at least 5 people request that song. The owner says he wants Kylie Minogue not 50cent being played. So same shit different day different club. In all honesty he might as well just get straight to the point and say "No Niggers" allowed. That is what HE really means and that is the truth. This club has two rooms a big and a small one and they bring "Big name" djs every week and throw away money. They brought Derek carter and there were like 10 people in his room and paid him 8 Grand! No lie. I had the other 200 people in my room and got 400 bucks. It has been like this since they opened. So FUCK them. For real dead serious they said the next dj will be getting a playlist from the club. What a bunch of fucking jokers that are in this business. Nothing changes...........................................................................

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That's crazy! Too bad it's so common.

Now bounce back and find a better gig.

Peace.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    In all honesty he might as well just get straight to the point and say "No Niggers" allowed. That is what HE really means and that is the truth.
    yeah, the "no hip hop" rule seems VERY strange in this day and age where:
    a) there's 25 years of hip hop to play, all of it very different; from disco to electro to golden age, to 90's jazz shit to new top 40, etc etc
    b) look at the billboard charts, hip hop is the most popular music in america...

it really is on some backwards racist shit...

They brought Derek carter and there were like 10 people in his room and paid him 8 Grand!

at least he showed up...

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    what you can be sure of is they will not last long... People that worry about that shit and ask to play Kylie Mcfuck are the same people that will fall off in a week.. their place will gradually lose steam and they will end up asking you to come back.

peace

• strikeskistrikeski 95 Posts
    they should buy a jukebox, fuck having a dj to play what they want!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    what city? what club?

ps - kylie minogue: i'd tax

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    in regards to club owners' euphamisms, I couldn't agree more. Just about every time I start a new gig, I get the speech about how hip hop is good, but they don't want stuff that's "too ghetto." I want to be like, motherfucker, hip hop is ghetto music. Tribe Called Quest and the Beatnuts are ghetto too. Why don't you just come out and say that you don't want an audience that's "too black?" I wish they knew how transparent this approach was.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Looking for a new weekend gig as I was fired yesterday! They said I don't listen to them (The owner) and I'm one of those "dj's that's too cool to play what they want"!!!!! They said I played Ying Yang Twins and that is not acceptable! Mind you this is their "Hip Hop" night and I had at least 5 people request that song. The owner says he wants Kylie Minogue not 50cent being played. So same shit different day different club. In all honesty he might as well just get straight to the point and say "No Niggers" allowed. That is what HE really means and that is the truth. This club has two rooms a big and a small one and they bring "Big name" djs every week and throw away money. They brought Derek carter and there were like 10 people in his room and paid him 8 Grand! No lie. I had the other 200 people in my room and got 400 bucks. It has been like this since they opened. So FUCK them. For real dead serious they said the next dj will be getting a playlist from the club. What a bunch of fucking jokers that are in this business. Nothing changes...........................................................................

Do I know this club? Have I spun at this club? Holler.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You already know.......................

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Preme you ever played any asian countries besides Japan ?

like Taiwan...Shanghai...or Hong Kong ?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Not Yet...................Working on it.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

• pasepase 89 Posts
    I guess I was just lucky. my spot in the nati was only like "don't play too many crunk songs in a row" after like five, and with the way I DJ, girls started catching bo's to the dome and fights would break out. That ain't sexy. Shit was kinda thug anyway. but the owners didn't care. actually pretty alright dudes. but they didn't pay enough.