45s on Elektra

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
ya just dont see the sumbitches. Ya notice that? Bought a collection today and there was a Dorothy Norwood in there and it dawned on me you dont even really see Doors 45s, Ive only seen 2 MC5 45s in my life, one Stooges, you see Love 45s ever so often...You see the 80s stuff, but not as much as you would think you would, hell Queen 45s pop up only very rarely...kinda confounding, lotsa hits, lotsa bands..but not many singles (especially 60s and 70s stuff) out in the field...

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Elektra was a little more sophisticated than some labels. b, 21I think their customers were a little more lp oriented. b, 21b, 21Also their 45 labels are ugly.

• I don't think the 45 labels are ugly...I saw a butterfield blues band one...that was hot!

• The main reason you don't see Elektra singles that often is not only because they were LP-oriented...prior to 1974, they just flat out didn't have many hits. I mean hit SINGLES. b, 21b, 21Their most consistent hitmakers were the Doors and Bread. There were occasional hits from Love, Judy Collins, Harry Chapin, Crabby Appleton and maybe a few others, but in general, Elektra didn't seem to be geared that way. As far as the Stooges and the MC 5...the Top 40 stations weren't exactly letting those bands on the playlist, so there's a reason why their Elektra seven-inchers are so rare. b, 21b, 21From 1952 to '73, Elektra was considered like Vanguard - this exotic folk/classical LP label that sidetracked into rock when it started to become album music. It was only after original founder Jac Holzman left that they started moving a lot of singles.b, 21b, 21And Wolf may think those Elektra singles designs were ugly, but I always did think it was clever that ca. 1971-73, the 45's had a drawing of a caterpillar while the albums depicted a butterfly (which is what a caterpillar becomes when it grows up, or something). Then new ownership took over and they put the butterfly on the singles, too, messing up the whole symbolism.

• I feel like I see Doors and Love quite often. But I am on the West Coast. But yeah, I guess compared to the other big labels they aren't as well represented on 45.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    dorothy morrison- rainb, 21b, 21is a great one...

• Quote:h, 21b, 21dorothy morrison- rainb, 21b, 21is a great one... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21yeah, Thats the one...not Norwood, also was a Norwood in the collection I got, just mixed up my Dorothys

• Quote:h, 21b, 21lotsa hits, lotsa bands..but not many singles (especially 60s and 70s stuff) out in the field... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21They did release 45's, some of them are of value because the mono mixes are exclusive to those records, but as someone said, they weren't about the hits back then but tried to (um) break through.