Amsterdam closing coffee shops!

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Amsterdam moves to close a fifth of 'coffee shops'b, 21By TOBY STERLING, Associated Press Writerb, 21b, 21AMSTERDAM, Netherlands ??? Amsterdam will close almost a fifth of its marijuana cafes to comply with a national ban on having them near schools, the mayor said Friday.b, 21Another city, Eindhoven, said it would start issuing permits to marijuana growers in order to better regulate the trade ??? if the national government approves.b, 21The plans were announced as 33 major Dutch cities held a "weed summit" to discuss the nation's long-standing policy of tolerating marijuana use while routinely arresting growers.b, 21Marijuana is technically illegal in the Netherlands, but can be sold in small amounts in designated cafes ??? euphemistically known as "coffee shops" ??? without fear of prosecution. More than a quarter of the country's cafes are in Amsterdam, where they are a major tourist attraction.b, 21But Mayor Job Cohen said the city would close about 20 percent of its cafes.b, 21Those included some landmarks, such as The Bulldog ??? a high-traffic shop operating since 1985 in a former police station on one of the city's main squares.b, 21Letters have been sent to 43 shops located within 250 meters (yards) of a high school informing them they will have to close by the end of 2011 if they cannot successfully appeal the decision, Amsterdam spokeswoman Iris Reshef said. Though she added that the city did not have any major problems with the cafes.b, 21But other cities closer to the Netherlands' borders have expressed frustration at being bombarded by "drug tourists" from Germany, France or Belgium seeking to stock up on marijuana ??? an often finding ways to bypass a 5 gram (1/5 ounce) purchase limit.b, 21"If the border areas shut down tomorrow, then (inland cities) Den Helder and Almere will soon be suffering," said Mayor Geert Leers of the southern border city Maastricht.b, 21Representatives at the summit Friday in Almere, 20 kilometers (12 miles) east of Amsterdam, also discussed the policy of arresting growers, which left cafes with no way to legally source their most lucrative product.b, 21Eindhoven Mayor Rob van Gijzel said his city wanted to set up a pilot scheme of issuing permits to growers.b, 21"People will be able to ask for a permit to grow for fixed prices," he said after the summit. "It'll be regulated in terms of produce and revenues, but also movement, in transports to the coffee shops."b, 21Amsterdam backed the idea of expanding the tolerance policy to growers, the city spokeswoman said, noting it could help keep organized crime out.b, 21"We don't have any insight to what goes on behind the back door," Reshef said. "What we need is a closed supply chain."b, 21But the national government must approve the scheme, and it was unclear how long that could take or if it was even likely. Polls suggest most voters support decriminalizing marijuana cultivation, but the coalition government is led by the conservative Christian Democrats, which opposes it.b, 21Justice Minister Ernst Hirsch Ballin said Thursday he had "no intention" of changing national marijuana policy.b, 21The Dutch Parliament voted to regulate growers once before in 2005, but the government refused, saying it would lead to a confrontation with the European Union.b, 21According to data compiled by the Netherlands' Trimbos Institute for Mental Health and Addiction, after 30 years of the Dutch tolerance policy, usage rates here are somewhere in the middle of international norms ??? above those in Germany and the Scandinavian countries, but below those of France, Britain and the United States.b, 21Copyright ?? 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Comments

• Dammit N**l, you scared the shit outta me with that thread title....b, 21b, 21I dont think Katsu is close to a school (I hope not)...Amsterdam zoning experts plaese to chime in

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yeah, ahhh... dont get it twisted folks. There are coffee shops and there are coffee shops.b, 21b, 21some of these places are straight up shady dives that are fronts for godknowswhat. I had the displeasure of being in one when it was raided by military police with semiautomatics. (in het oud west bij bellamyplein). There are still and will always be good coffeeshops in this city. the council is just weeding out the heavy duty badasses. b, 21b, 21There are major rezoning activities happening in the redlight district as well, basically the strategy is to centralize the vice and not have it spread in suburban areas or close to schools.b, 21b, 21chill out ya stoners, we will always take care of ya.

Oh, and: F*ck the bulldog.b, 21b, 21f*cking McCoffeeshop. b, 21b, 21anyone heading to Amsterdam hit me on the PMs and ill sort you out where to go.

• there are a lot of cheesy spots in the city center. close them tourist shits down first. b, 21b, 21some of the more relaxed shops were out in in the blend to suburbia. i remember twisting one in a great university coffee shop. though it was freely sold, my travel buddy and i were the only ones indulging at 4pm. everyone else was tearing through coursework and drinking actual coffee - yet social and not too stressed out.

Quote:h, 21b, 21there are a lot of cheesy spots in the city center. close them tourist shits down first. b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21yeah, like McBulldog.b, 21b, 21man i look at some of the coffeeshops here and just shake my head, talk about blowing a great business opportunity, these fuckers have no idea. I have many good friends that work in various capacities at coffe shops all over the city, and most of the outfits really do not have a f*ckin clue.b, 21b, 21there are exceptions to this of course, but i will not blow these spots up, PMs are where its at.b, 21b, 21Damn, you want to hear about coffeeshop tours, get Sheep on here and he will tell you how we ruined him.b, 21b, 21its a funny old place.

• Quote:h, 21b, 21there are exceptions to this of course, but i will not blow these spots upb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i'll do it for you Dutch Flowers lol

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Oh, and: F*ck the bulldog.b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I felt like I was in a 7-11 in there smoking, or in a mall. Weird atmosphere in that place.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    b, 21b, 21Whats your take on Kashmir NZ?

• my fave:b, 21

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21Oh, and: F*ck the bulldog.b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I felt like I was in a 7-11 in there smoking, or in a mall. Weird atmosphere in that place. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21The herbage is pretty lame at BD well. I went there once cuz it was close to my hotel. I've only been to Amsterdam once, but I walked everywhere day and night for a week and found a lot of small out the way coffee shops that seem to be the best. The shops that had good organic drinks and food, pool tables as well as herb seem to be the best. b, 21b, 21You need to have the right mind set and stop off at a coffee house while you out seeing museums, the Anne Frank house etc. I don't relaly have a lot of sympathy for "drug tourists" who have to work harder to to find their hook up.b, 21b, 21As far as getting drugs away from schools, it's pretty hard to argue. I'm all for Amsterdam zoneing and regulating growing etc. The need to show the world that it can all be done in a safe, regulated way that doesn't harm anyone and generates tax dollar that can go to good things.