Options

iPhone vs Blackberry

edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I'm ready to leave the stone age behind and pick up either an iPhone or a Blackberry, but I can't decide on which. b, 21b, 21Strutteurs: what made you choose one over the other?b, 21b, 21Thanks in advance for your advice, and apologies if this one's a img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/latte.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    G1

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif" alt="" 21

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21G1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21seriously, they just announced that Flash 10 will be compatible on the G1 but Apple is holding off on it because of proprietary software bs. b, 21b, 21I love my G1

Quote:h, 21b, 21
    b, 21b, 21seriously, they just announced that Flash 10 will be compatible on the G1 but Apple is holding off on it because of proprietary software bs. b, 21b, 21I love my G1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Sayin... They just found out that the G1 has latent multi-touch but its disabled. I'm waiting for my grey hat dudes to make that happen. b, 21b, 21True enough there are great apps for the iphone, but dudes were running full on Debian distros on the G1 like a week ago (until the RC30 update). This isn't a powerful phone, but the OS sure does make up for it! b, 21b, 21I had android (an early RC) ported on a linux device earlier this year and I hated it, but the latest build are fire!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Wait until January for Blackberry Javelinb, 21b, 21I'm a die-hard Apple fanboy, but I have too many friends who have dropped theirs and cracked the entire screen. I'll wait a few revisions on that one.b, 21I have a BB Curve right now and it's pretty damn good. The Javelin model will add GPS - google it

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    b, 21Iphone if you want to feel good and show off, blackberry if you want to or need to work and get things done.b, 21b, 21my (employers)choice: blackberry

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    b, 21b, 21seriously, they just announced that Flash 10 will be compatible on the G1 but Apple is holding off on it because of proprietary software bs. b, 21b, 21I love my G1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Sayin... They just found out that the G1 has latent multi-touch but its disabled. I'm waiting for my grey hat dudes to make that happen. b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Well, there's already a jailbreak for Android/a1, that lets you do all kinds of cool stuff like access walled-off parts of the OS (including multi-touch, one would expect).

b, 21b, 21Sayin... They just found out that the G1 has latent multi-touch but its disabled. I'm waiting for my grey hat dudes to make that happen. b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Well, there's already a jailbreak for Android/a1, that lets you do all kinds of cool stuff like access walled-off parts of the OS (including multi-touch, one would expect). b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That got canned with RC30.

• never used an iphone but i have a blackberry pearl. pure garbage

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    I love my iphone. It definitely has its flaws though. No flash. No cut and paste. The list goes on. The interface is really intuitive and apps like the new Google App are killing it. Being able to do quick voice activated searches is so damn easy.b, 21b, 21In regards to flash though...b, 21b, 21Adobe is working on an ARM-optimized version of Flash 10 in 2009, while not mentioning any specific phones by name. b, 21http://theappleblog.com/2008/11/17/arm-optimized-flash-adobe-serious-about-iphone//a1b, 21b, 21This article says it never happen though because Flash violates Apple's Terms of Service Agreement.b, 21http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/11/adobe-flash-on.html/a1b, 21b, 21edit:b, 21I wanted to add that I'm not an apple fanboy by any means. I have 7 years experience running Blackberry Enterprise Server so I know both extensively and the iPhone just works better for day to day use for me.

Quote:h, 21b, 21never used an iphone but i have a blackberry pearl. pure garbage b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Extreme garbage. BB OS (outside of messaging services) is just plain garbage.

Quote:h, 21b, 21 No cut and paste.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This, coming from Apple, just kills me. How they could drop the ball on this is just unbelievable

• I still want an Android phone but the G1 is just awkward and the screen is too small. Anyone know when they'll be releasing more Android phones?

• Quote:h, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21never used an iphone but i have a blackberry pearl. pure garbage b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Extreme garbage. BB OS (outside of messaging services) is just plain garbage. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21the fact that the phone makes emergency calls while it's keylocked and in your pocket is pure madness. worst feature ever. if i wanted to call 911 I WOULD UNLOCK THE KEYS AND THEN DIAL 911b, 21b, 21im glad i only paid 30 bucks for the thing

b, 21b, 21Extreme garbage. BB OS (outside of messaging services) is just plain garbage. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21the fact that the phone makes emergency calls while it's keylocked and in your pocket is pure madness. worst feature ever. if i wanted to call 911 I WOULD UNLOCK THE KEYS AND THEN DIAL 911b, 21b, 21im glad i only paid 30 bucks for the thing b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21My boy who works development for BB is one of the first to admit the Pearl is not a great phone. The Curve, however is great.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I'm really liking my iphone. I just downloaded a free Connect Four-type game that's going to be the end of me. Or the end of my battery, at least. b, 21b, 21Although I'm having an issue where Safari just closes for no reason. Usually when I'm playing MP3's or other shit. Perhaps that's another thread. b, 21b, 21Plus the the GPS is really sweet. Not real helpful while driving alone, but when you're downtown and need to find the nearest Walgreens, shit is nice.

• if you get a lot of emails like me, I would def get the blackberry storm or bold. iphones are cool, but not very efficient when you're working with hundreds of emails.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I have a BB curve 8330 ... I like it quite a bit

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    The pearl is designed to kinda straddle being a phone and being a blackberry, and it pretty much fails miserably at both. The iphone pulls this off much better, so much to do, easy to use, great as a personal phone, no question. If your really trying to get shit done, for a business, heavy email load, I'll also cosign the blackberry.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21the fact that the phone makes emergency calls while it's keylocked and in your pocket is pure madness. worst feature ever. if i wanted to call 911 I WOULD UNLOCK THE KEYS AND THEN DIAL 911b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21tight pants wearer revealed.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Quote:h, 21b, 21b, 21Iphone if you want to feel good and show off, blackberry if you want to or need to work and get things done.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21As an Apple fanboy I have to agree.b, 21b, 21
    Quote:h, 21b, 21 iphones are cool, but not very efficient when you're working with hundreds of emails. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Straight up.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    If you plan on replying to a bunch of emails a blackberry will definitely work better. Especially on one with a full keyboard. But most people tend to only read emails on their phones then reply to them later from a computer. Or if they do reply they'll keep it short. In those cases an iPhone works great.

• Options
    Thank you all for your responses.

• I still don't really see the point of having a Blackberry unless you have BES available to you. The BB data plans are also more expensive than you'll pay for the iPhone, if I'm not mistaken.

That is a good point. Without a BES server you need a dedicated desktop running a client to push mail out to you in order things working in real-time. Apple was smart to eventually license ActiveSync from Microsoft so that it could use real-time push technology and stay constantly synced.

Quote:h, 21b, 21That is a good point. Without a BES server you need a dedicated desktop running a client to push mail out to you in order things working in real-time.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I'm assuming that you mean BES or BIS.b, 21b, 21Basically, when you get a BB from a provider you'll get access to a BIS which enables push to any account that you want. b, 21b, 21