CHRISTMAS MUSIC - yay or nay?

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
When I was a kid, I was amazed and amused that just about every major (and some minor) artists had certain albums or singles that were only available at the end of the year. Why? 'Cause they was Christmas records. But as I got older I realized that for every genuine holiday classic - like say, the Sonics'"Santa Claus" or the Jackson Five's "Xmas Won't Be The Same This Year" or the Ventures' holiday elpee - there were some Xmas rekkids that were utter malarkey, like Jimmy Smith's or Rev. Horton Heat's.b, 21b, 21And now, most cities have at least one all-Christmas station from Nov. 1 to Jan. 1, at which time they go back to playing whatever the hell they were playing before.b, 21b, 21So what's your take on holiday records? I'm not askin' for a Top 10 list of faves, but do you think that Xmas records are a good idea or just a lame attempt at product that you'll only play once?

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    My take on Christmas music is this: The recording of new Christmas music should be banned, and any Christmas music recorded after 1979 should be collected, burned, and otherwise wiped from existence.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Why 79? What good Xmas records/songs are from 79?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21My take on Christmas music is this: The recording of new Christmas music should be banned, and any Christmas music recorded after 1979 should be collected, burned, and otherwise wiped from existence. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21no...The Bob and Doug 12 days of Christmas is essential.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    This is about all I can handleb, 21b, 21img src="http://images.landofnod.com/is/image/LandOfNod/1501692_CharlieBrownChristmas_06H?$fp$" border="0" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I mean, other jazz renditions are usually tolerable, some even enjoyed but I can't go for that bing crosby traditional ish. My dad overloaded me on that.

• I like Christmas music...the good stuff though. I am always on the look out for the good stuff every year and I can at least dig up one good 'un every year I was previously unaware of...this year it is Jimmy Reed "Christmas Present Blues"...hard ass funk track.b, 21b, 21But the Spector X-mas LP is still the GOAT in my book for christmas music...makes me think of driving around with my dad christmas shopping...

• Purchased but not played yet: the Fleshtones' new album, which is all Xmas songs...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Why 79? What good Xmas records/songs are from 79? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21I said 1979 to account for anything the Jackson 5 or other soul artists might have done. I realize that this allows for any type of "Disco Christmas" record, but what can you do? Le Bien, Le Mal. b, 21b, 21Although I see some value in extending my cutoff point to sometime in the 80's to account for both Bob & Doug type stuff as well as any quality releases by soul artists during that time. b, 21b, 21b, 21I will also recant the part about destroying all that music if I can instead enact a law stating that no Christmas music recorded after 1979 may be played in any public place. If you want the Carrie Underwood Christmas album, keep that shit at your house.

• I was gonna say nay to all christmas music but this is a good one. the tune called skating on here is ill.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Partridge Family X-Mas is my shit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I bought my first record when I was 5; Chipmunks 45 Christmas Song. It lived at my baba's house which I only visited in the summer. Played over and over when ever I was there. Funny for a Jewish boy who never celebrated Christmas. b, 21b, 21I like that Eartha Kitt Christmas song, but it has become a standard in recent years and is played out. (Santa Baby)b, 21b, 21I guess there is a lot of Christmas music I enjoy in small doses, but it always comes in an avalanche. b, 21b, 21I thought that Spector lp was lame. Sorry.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    /object1b, 21b, 21featuring this dude on sax:b, 21b, 21/object1

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Of course we are talking about degrees of tolerable, but I don't mind that Duke Pearson one and have to pull out the Esquivel! one at least for a minute each season, in addition to the Charlie Brown soundtrack and a Reggae Christmas tape I have in the car. b, 21b, 21Last year, I purchased the Sufjan Stephens boxset which is pretty good (if you are into that sorta stuff).

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So what's your take on holiday records? I'm not askin' for a Top 10 list of faves, but do you think that Xmas records are a good idea or just a lame attempt at product that you'll only play once? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21At this point are there new listeners that think Mariah Carey's X-Mas stuff is "Classic" or Some American Idol winners attempt is a must have?b, 21b, 21People still buy the stuff so artists will continue to make it.b, 21b, 21I would really like to hear more music made for Thanksgiving/Harvest/Fall/Autumn - Concept Albums.

• b, 21b, 21"I'm Your Back Door Santa" by Clarence Carter

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The Vandals "Oi To The World" gets spun at my house around these times. I ride for the Jimmy Smith. There is a nice Ella Fitzgerald one on Verve too. Remember those "A Very Special Xmas" LPs that tried to revive the xmas music thinga few years ago?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

• I totally dig the whole snowman movie (the cartoon that bowie does the intro for) soundtrack with that walking on the air song....i think its performed by some welsh kid??b, 21b, 21actually am a bit of a sucker for chrissy music...& movies.....b, 21Anyone seen the Santa Clause Movie with Dudley Moore and John Lithgow?? Was a fave as a kid too..

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I would really like to hear more music made for Thanksgiving/Harvest/Fall/Autumn - Concept Albums. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21yeah, no other season of the year has its own musicb, 21b, 21and if you got rid of all the Halloween novelty records, the list of Thanksgiving/etc/etc/etc music would probably be pretty small

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21I thought that Spector lp was lame. Sorry. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I gotta say, I think it's overrated too.b, 21b, 21Don't get me wrong, I like Spector and the groups he produced, but there are way too many skipovers on that LP for me to call it a classic. And the Motown holiday sides are even worse.

• b, 21b, 21/thread

• Why is "My Favorite Things" considered a Xmas song?b, 21b, 21Not trying to start any shit, I'd just like to know. This song turns up on a lot of Xmas compilations, and as best as I can tell there is no holiday content in the lyrics.b, 21b, 21Yes, I know "Jingle Bells" doesn't mention Xmas either, but it still seems more likely than "M.F.T."...

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 And the Motown holiday sides are even worse. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I can listen to the J5 album str8 thru.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 And the Motown holiday sides are even worse. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I can listen to the J5 album str8 thru. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I don't have the J5's Xmas album - just a single from it - but going by the two Motown various-artists holiday comps that I have, their Yuletide catalog was knee deep in schlock.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Aaron Neville singing Christmas carols = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 And the Motown holiday sides are even worse. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I can listen to the J5 album str8 thru. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Don't Forget Stevies "Someday at Xmas" LP and the Smokey Robinson and the Miracles LP from 1970.b, 21b, 21Never heard the Supremes one but I bet its hotb, 21b, 21Rotary Connections album sucks but Silent Night is fun b, 21b, 21and dudes need to be aware of the (ahem) Bright Eyes Christmas CD from a couple years back

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Why is "My Favorite Things" considered a Xmas song?b, 21b, 21Not trying to start any shit, I'd just like to know. This song turns up on a lot of Xmas compilations, and as best as I can tell there is no holiday content in the lyrics.b, 21b, 21Yes, I know "Jingle Bells" doesn't mention Xmas either, but it still seems more likely than "M.F.T."... b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21snowflakes, white winters, sleigh bells, woolen mittens, packages tied up with strings, etc.b, 21peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This is dare I say, a solid X-Mas album. Picked it up from the dollar bin last year. From 1970.b, 21b, 21

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Rotary Connections album sucks but Silent Night is fun b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Check back for 'Last chance for peace' img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

• The only x-mas concept LP worth owning IMO.b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21How can you go wrong with songs titles like "Santa Claus Goes Straight to the Ghetto?"b, 21b, 21And let's not forget the man died on x-mas day. RIP JB.

• How can you have this thread without this?b, 21/object1b, 21Favorite Christmas song ever. Play it every Christmas.