Barry on 60 Min last night

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
"Barack Obama's first television interview as president-elect was a ratings hit for CBS news program "60 Minutes," drawing its highest viewership since 1999"b, 21b, 21Just wait until Michelle drops in on "Oprah." Advertisers better get their bidding for ads in now. b, 21b, 21By the way, how weird and wonderful is it to watch a President (elect) who comes off as intelligent and reasoned?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yes, great interview. Even Harold's Chicken Shack got a shout!b, 21b, 21U.S. President-elect Barack Obama, in his first interview as President-elect (on 60 Minutes), referred with pleasure to the proximity of a Harold's to the apartment he lived in when he met his future wife Michelle. It was evident from the look on his face that he remembered that Harold's fondly.b, 21b, 21http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold%27s_Chicken_Shack/a1b, 21b, 21

• "A six pack and a half from Harold's Chicken (a good combination)/When I get bubbly, I do it in moderation"

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21"A six pack and a half from Harold's Chicken (a good combination)/When I get bubbly, I do it in moderation" b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21one brew one brew one brew at a time

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Great interview.b, 21b, 21I really think 60 minutes has gotten much better over the last year.b, 21b, 21And I dig Obama's promise to do presidential "fireside chat".

I couldn't help but think that this would have been an icing-on-the-cake interview for Ed Bradley (R.I.P.).b, 21b, 21

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I couldn't help but think that this would have been an icing-on-the-cake interview for Ed Bradley (R.I.P.).b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21he was the best on that show before his passingb, 21b, 21great interview

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21By the way, how weird and wonderful is it to watch a President (elect) who comes off as intelligent and reasoned? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's so freakin' nice. I'm sure Obama will say and do a bunch of stuff I don't like, but at least I don't have to cringe in fear every time the guy opens his mouth.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21By the way, how weird and wonderful is it to watch a President (elect) who comes off as intelligent and reasoned? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21It's so freakin' nice. I'm sure Obama will say and do a bunch of stuff I don't like, but at least I don't have to cringe in fear every time the guy opens his mouth. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I dont' know what you guys are talking about.b, 21b, 21

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The Obamas just killed it last night.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I couldn't help but think that this would have been an icing-on-the-cake interview for Ed Bradley (R.I.P.).b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I have to say Harold's is slightly overrated. Enjoyed more as a community center/meeting place than a fried chicken destination. I do appreciate their offering of "hard fried" chicken, for those who have no concern whatsoever about their health.b, 21b, 21Did anyone watch the segment about computer recyling, or lack thereof. They pulled some Wire Season Two shit, and traced a shipping container full of old computer parts from California to Washington to Hong Kong to some extremely poor Chinese town, where peasants were basically free-basing computer parts to extract precious metal. b, 21b, 21b, 21

IMG SRC="http://www.bossip.com/wp-content/uploads/obamagq312.jpg" WIDTH=300>b, 21b, 21Looks like our man been through some thangs!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Yes, great interview. Even Harold's Chicken Shack got a shout!b, 21b, 21U.S. President-elect Barack Obama, in his first interview as President-elect (on 60 Minutes), referred with pleasure to the proximity of a Harold's to the apartment he lived in when he met his future wife Michelle. It was evident from the look on his face that he remembered that Harold's fondly.b, 21b, 21http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold%27s_Chicken_Shack/a1b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This particular Harold's is near downtown. Barack probably lived closer to the one in the strip mall on 53rd St. near Woodlawn. (For what it's worth, Eli "Paperboy" Reed, celebrated in another SS thread, lived in Chicago during the winter of '03-'04 and he swore by Harold's...)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That's an odd image.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    EVERY HAROLDS IS NOT THE SAME CARPETBAGGEURS

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i ride for the one @ cermak & wabashb, 21b, 21the hyde park one is kinda suspect

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21EVERY HAROLDS IS NOT THE SAME CARPETBAGGEURS b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21For real. The one I've been to w/ P33 has TING!b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21In unrelated news: I met Nate Silver on the street yesterday. Stopped, offered my thanks to him, shook his hand, and went my merry way. The new glasses, I must say, are less ??bold! in person.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21EVERY HAROLDS IS NOT THE SAME CARPETBAGGEURS b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Who are you calling a carpetbagger? b, 21b, 21I'll sorta ride for Harold's. Here's the thing: the hot sauce isn't that great, neither is the mild. A mixture of the two is necessary. The chicken seems of decent quality but the breading isn't anything to write home about. I will applaud the bottled beverage selection -- always plenty to choose from, with a few "surprises." Harold's is good not great. I'd sooner go to Popeye's or, dare I say it, Brown's. b, 21b, 21That one in Woodlawn still advertises itself as Harold's Chicken and Pizza, I believe.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21That's an odd image. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21he got the strobist treatment for the GQ coverb, 21b, 21http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/02/welcome-to-strobist.html/a1

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i ride for the one @ cermak & wabashb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21i think thats the one shown in the pictureb, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21the hyde park one is kinda suspect b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21no more suspect than any of the other harold's across town. although i do miss the shrimp basket that the hyde park harold's used to haveb, 21b, 21y'all kill me with these "food critic" comments ("well, the hot sauce is mad suspect and the breading is even more so and the texture of the bird is inferior to the way they make chicken in Chilliclothe, Ohio...it doesn't have the same flavor as the Popeye's Chicken on 87th & Stony Island")...b, 21b, 21a while back the Reader did an article where some guy went to all the Harold's chicken outlets in the city and compared them...his comments were just as humorless, stiff and technical as what I'm reading here this morning. b, 21b, 21"I'd sooner go to Popeye's"...lame! img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21