Under $200 Good Listening Turntable Advice

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I've got about $200 to spend on a home turntable for my listening pleasure. My whole system, from speakers to amp to receiver is Sansui (Mid 70's), but I can't find a nice Sansui turntabel with AUTO RETURN (that is a must). Any ideas on a suitable alternative?

Comments

• thornes td-124.

the best vintage table out there.

$300 to $500.

get it.

you will thank me.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Muchos Gracias, Amigo.

• it is such a thing of wonder...

this is not like a 1200. it is a " put the record on and carefully set the tonearm down and listen " type turntable.

late 50's wood and steel. weighes a ton. 4 speed. i have two of them. one with a 12" inch arm and one with the 16" arm ( for transcriptions ). the 16" arm is facemelt.

ignore the mick jagger record on the platter in the picture. do not buy the later td 124. get the 50's one. it has a break on the platter that is dope.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    How might one tell the difference between the 50's model and later ones, were one to come across one? one. one. one. And is it "auto-return" for us lazy semi-audiophiles?

• no auto return on this one. check out this website called audiogon. it is the home of hi fi loosers who have one hand stuck up there ass and a fist full of dollars in the other.

you will be able to tell the old td 124's by the look of them. avoid the aluminim garbage or whatever that shit is made of.

ap

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Whatever happened to thrift shops and op shops? You can find good listening turntables at places like that in Australia for $10-50. Can't you do that in the States?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    what the hell is an "op shop", mate?