GALLAGHER funny OR not funny?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
b, 21b, 21kinda funny.b, 21peace, stein. . . img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• I used to watch his specials on tv all the time as a kid. I'm not sure if I'd still find it funny, but back then it was pretty decent.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I used to watch his specials on tv all the time as a kid. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21haha yeah, I wanted to go to the show and sit in the front row in one of these:b, 21b, 21b, 21

• big nay.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21big nay. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21b, 21YOU CAN'T HANDLE THA_MALLET

• i think this guy is unbelievably lame. i am really surprised there is anyone on this board that thinks he's funny. this guy makes carrot top look edgy.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Which Gallagher?b, 21b, 21From Wikipedia:b, 21b, 21"The ???Gallagher Too??? controversyb, 21At some point during the early 1990s, Gallagher???s younger brother Ron Gallagher asked Gallagher for permission to perform shows using Gallagher???s old routines, and also using Gallagher???s trademark Sledge-O-Matic routine. The idea was that Ron Gallagher, who was unemployed, would tour the country working small venues that couldn???t afford a show put on by Gallagher himself. Since Ron bears a strong familial resemblance to his older brother, the show would be almost like having a real Gallagher show.b, 21Gallagher granted his blessing to his younger brother on the condition that Ron and his manager would make it clear in their promotional materials that it was Ron Gallagher, not Gallagher himself, that was putting on the show.b, 21After a few years of complying with Gallagher???s conditions, Ron began blurring the line between his act and that of his brother. He would often promote his act as ???Gallagher Too,??? a moniker Gallagher felt was insufficiently informative. In some instances, Ron???s act was promoted in a way that provided no clue to prospective attendees that they were seeing someone other than Gallagher himself.b, 21Gallagher initially attempted to get his brother to stop these activities by requesting that he stop using Gallagher???s well-known Sledge-O-Matic routine. These efforts proved futile, and Ron kept touring as ???Gallagher Too??? while using the Sledge-O-Matic routine his older brother had made famous. Consequently, in August 2000, Gallagher sued his brother for trademark violations and false advertising. The courts ultimately sided with Leo Gallagher, and an injunction was granted prohibiting Ron from performing any act that impersonates his brother in small clubs and venues.b, 21During the lawsuit, all of Gallagher???s immediate family sided with Ron over the controversy. As a consequence, Gallagher is now estranged from his parents and siblings.[3]"

There's a Wes Anderson movie in there somewhere.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Funny in 1987.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21my preference

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Never funny.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21There's a Wes Anderson movie in there somewhere. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/841.gif" alt="" 21

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    probably funny if your name is rockadelicb, 21b, 21otherwise, painfully unfunny

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21probably funny if your name is rockadelicb, 21b, 21otherwise, painfully unfunny b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Please name one white comedian that the one Faux Rillz is a fan of.b, 21b, 21Besides Louie Anderson.b, 21b, 21This is the third time I've asked you....maybe this time you will answer.b, 21b, 21Myself, I'm a Bill Hicks fan.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    If you make all your money from making people laugh, you are funny. Period. b, 21b, 21I know this is hard to stomach, when faced with the likes of Carlos Mencia, Carrot Top, GizzyGallagher... but, really, it's true. I swear. Paula Poundstone even. Denis Leary. They're funny. They're all funny.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Never been a Gallagher fan. Even as a kid. Just some crazy white guy smashing stuff and audiance members getting excited about getting dirty. But this on the other hand...b, 21embed FlashVars='videoId=11905' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'1/embed1b, 21Black Gallagher Bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I loved Gallagher as a kid, but you know who my main man was back then?b, 21b, 21Bill Saluga.b, 21b, 21A/k/a Ray Jay Johnson.b, 21b, 21A/k/a "you can call me Ray, you can call me Jay, you can call me Ronny, you can call me Sonny (etc.)...but ya doesn't has to call me Mr. Johnson!!" Used to have me rolling, and still does. b, 21b, 21param name="movie" value=""1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21Seek out Bill Saluga's "Dancin' Johnson" single on A&M from '79, which is his comedy routine set to a disco beat. Lame, I know, but when I saw it for a dollar I HAD to get it...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21There's a Wes Anderson movie in there somewhere. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Ha! I thought something very similar.b, 21Like this would be the new Charlie Kaufman story with Spike Jonze directing.b, 21I think I have a faint memory of an Adam Carola related screenplay called "Kill Gallagher."

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21Besides Louie Anderson.b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21lol.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Compared to the walk around w/ a mic and talk about their wife and kids, Gallager brought something new to the table.b, 21b, 21It was visual comedy compared to the sedated "intelligent" shit that was being promoted on TV at the time.b, 21b, 2180's comedy was on some real shit. Alot of styles were broken.b, 21b, 21Gallager's steez rounded out the possibilities, good or not..imo.b, 21b, 21HBO was playin one man shows all the time. Robin Williams Death Of A Sperm.b, 21Pee Wee Herman's OG Show was Crazy. Too much shit to remember.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21probably funny if your name is rockadelicb, 21b, 21otherwise, painfully unfunny b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Please name one white comedian that the one Faux Rillz is a fan of.b, 21b, 21Besides Louie Anderson.b, 21b, 21This is the third time I've asked you....maybe this time you will answer.b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21My money's on late-period Brother Dave Gardner. The post-MLK material, especially. Either that or OG Barry Sobel.b, 21b, 21Gallagher is wack, though his tax-evasion maneuvers are pretty forward-thinking (isn't/wasn't he using his infant daughter as some sort of tax shelter? putting all his money in her name, claiming that she was responsible for most of his material, on some "muse" shit?).b, 21b, 21I saw one early Bill Hicks thing (on some early- or mid-eighties Rodney Dangerfield young comics' showcase thing) that was really good--I liked it a lot, and subsequently checked for his stuff for a long time after that--but almost everything of his I've seen since has been disappointing. Dude seems to have pretty quickly gotten to the point where he was writing less and less and just more and more coasting on his audience, just endlessly basking and milking the time in the most insuffereable way. As bad as fucking Jay "Am I Right? I Mean, Am I Right?!" Leno, and kinda worse, in a way, considering the potential. Like, five seconds of joke followed by five minutes of "I mean that's just a thought I had...just a whimsy...just something I thought I'd bring up...for consideration...for you to think about...on your way home...to your house...tonight...after the show...in your car...or van..." on and on ad nauseaum. When dude is for-real writing, he's really good, but those moments are rarer than they should be.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I saw one early Bill Hicks thing (on some early- or mid-eighties Rodney Dangerfield young comics' showcase thing) that was really good--I liked it a lotb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hijack.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I liked his material, but there didn't seem to be enough of it. I heard a bunch of his CD's (there might been some bootlegs in there too, I don't know) and also netflixed a DVD of his, and I heard the same couple routines like five times. Even on the DVD there are three shows, and they all had two or three bits in common. b, 21b, 21The first time I saw him was on like the MTV Half hour Comedy or something back in like '89. He did this really funny bit about goofing around in school and its consequences. Not quite 20 years later and I've never heard that bit again.

• We saw Jim Gaffigan a few weeks ago and are still laughing. b, 21b, 21I think I have a lower tolerance for Robin Williams than pretty much anyone else I can think of. Painfully unfunny.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Robin Williams b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21He came into Groove Merchant and was looking for Devin The Dude CD's once. He also use to go an ex's skateshop all the time and cop stuff for him and his son.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21 Jim Gaffigan b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21JA JA JA JA JA

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He also use to go an ex's skateshop all the time and cop stuff for him and his son. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21He not only copped stuff for your ex-boyfriend, but also for your ex-boyfriend's son?b, 21b, 21Sounds like a heckuva guy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He also use to go an ex's skateshop all the time and cop stuff for him and his son. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21He not only copped stuff for your ex-boyfriend, but also for your ex-boyfriend's son?b, 21b, 21Sounds like a heckuva guy. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21But does the one Faux Rillz find Robin Williams funny?b, 21b, 21Does the one Faux Rillz find any white comedian funny?b, 21b, 21Inquiring idiots want to know.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21We saw Jim Gaffigan a few weeks ago and are still laughing. b, 21b, 21I think I have a lower tolerance for Robin Williams than pretty much anyone else I can think of. Painfully unfunny. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 on Gaffigan (Sit down SEA PIG!)b, 21b, 21b, 21Double X infinity on the Robin Williams hatt....I'd almost rather watch Larry the Cable Guy, or any ventriloquist...

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21He also use to go an ex's skateshop all the time and cop stuff for him and his son. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21He not only copped stuff for your ex-boyfriend, but also for your ex-boyfriend's son?b, 21b, 21Sounds like a heckuva guy. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21you're a dipshit