Dry Cleaner Blunder

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
So I have this really nice handmade dress shirt that i took to the dry cleaner. It cost me a lot, I take really good care of it and wear it for special occasions. I show up to pick up my stuff and notice its got pink splotches all over it. i confronted the woman that owns the place and she played dumb. what are my options here?

Comments

• hey tom. if you put together a sternly worded letter stating what happened and your intentions to take them to small claims court (and also sue them for costs) if they don't refund the original purchase price and charge for the dry cleaning, you may find that they will become a little more responsive. if they refuse to respond by your deadline, file a claim because the chances are they won;t respond to that either and you will get a default judgement in your favour. then you will have to enforce that judgement which could be a pain, but if its a business then it should not be too difficult. b, 21b, 21the only real issue is the value of that shirt. hopefully you can track down a receipt and include a copy of it with your letter. in any event the shirt is used and emotional attachment to it doesn't count so you may want to ask for slighlty less than the retail value and explain why you feel it is worth that much.b, 21b, 21just my 2c

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i would say go F*ck yourself asshole but its none of my business and very record related b, 21b, 21btw "Dr delay" -worst dj handle everb, 21b, 21reminds me of wkrp or a goofy dutch idiot with a mullet

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Suck my balls kala

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    no thanks b, 21i ain't inta that sonb, 21b, 21when or how long did you take to come up with that one?b, 21b, 21prolly as long as it took to reason "dr delay"b, 21b, 21that was before you moved here from Kansas or was it vagina?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    It's exactly what I would say to your face if you come at me like that out of the blue. No wonder you health instance rates are high

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    dear soulstrut b, 21i got cum stains on my expensive frilly shirt that i only wear out to get my balls sucked b, 21please to halp!!!b, 21b, 21love you b, 21toodlesb, 21"dr delay"

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    just a sweet retort to your comments in the dis-covery kkklub thread ......bright eyes

• paying that health insurance is critical, dude's t cell count was low

• This reminds me of the time I got my photos back from the shop and noticed some racy photos of the girl who works there. So I decided to have my quirky neighbor take provocative photos of me in his apartment and have them developed by the same girl.b, 21b, 21Hope this helps!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Why not just say, "hey Jonny. Looks like I made ab, 21Mistake on the price of that record. I'm gonna put it up on eBay."b, 21b, 21The current events related sobstory was such a little boy way out. Manthefuckup! Keep studying up on me though. I don't know who the F*ck you are.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    different tax bracket, different problems I suppose

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    T, same thing happened to me recently. Huge pink spot on a brown dress shirt. Cleaners have insurance for this kind of thing. I took it back to them immediately, they checked it out with the place that does all the cleaning for them and a couple days later wrote me a check for whatever I said it was worth to me.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This is why I don't f w/dry cleaning - in my limited experience this result is not uncommon.

• damn sounds like a shady shopb, 21b, 21my friend had the lining of a jacket destroyed at a dry cleaner in Japan.b, 21b, 21They were so apologetic it was crazy. They visited his house for tea with full cash value of the jacket and also gave him about $200 worth of free cleaning vouchers.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So I decided to have my quirky neighbor take provocative photos of me in his apartment b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So I decided to have my quirky neighbor take provocative photos of me in his apartment b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21lol i thought the same thing when i read that...on some img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So I decided to have my quirky neighbor take provocative photos of me in his apartment b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21lol i thought the same thing when i read that...on some img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21It's a "Seinfeld" episode.b, 21b, 21Who is that guy in the gif?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21different tax bracket, different problems I suppose b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21YESb, 21b, 21Count these threads, kala!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21really nice handmade dress shirt b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Pics please.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Simple: show the world how DC does it.b, 21b, 21But really, accept that the shirt's gone (sucks that it's custom made), and try to get compensated.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    I had a situation this week myself.b, 21b, 21Background story....drycleaner place by my job offers a "VIP" club where you pay 20 dollars a year, get 20% off your cleaning and they give you a drycleaning bag. With this bag, no waiting in line, you just drop it off, they know your info off the bag.b, 21b, 21Anyways, went to pick up dry cleaning on tuesday. Had dropped 7 shirts. Went to pick it up, they said i didnt drop off anything. Anyways, i pointed to where my bag is and they told me they will look for my stuff, come back after 5pm. Came back, get 5 of my shirts.b, 21Didnt realize i only had 5 shirts til i got home (2 shirts short). Called them the next day, checked the computer and said I only gave them 4 shirts (yet they gave me 5). Anyways, the bad thing about being "VIP" is you just drop off your drycleaning bag, so they dont count the shirts in front of you and give you a slip.b, 21b, 21The two missing shirts roughly cost 150 for both. Got screwed.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So I decided to have my quirky neighbor take provocative photos of me in his apartment b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21lol i thought the same thing when i read that...on some img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wtf.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21It's a "Seinfeld" episode.b, 21b, 21Who is that guy in the gif? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21 Guy Goma

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So I have this really nice handmade dress shirt that i took to the dry cleaner. It cost me a lot, I take really good care of it and wear it for special occasions. I show up to pick up my stuff and notice its got pink splotches all over it. i confronted the woman that owns the place and she played dumb. what are my options here? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Not sure I have the patience to read this entire thread, but I have a suggestion for the future (since you're obviously going to be changing your dry cleaner). Ask them if they do hand cleaning. If they hesitate at all in their answer or don't know what you mean, walk away. This costs a little more (but usually only around $5 for a shirt) but is far superior to traditional dry cleaning. I only request hand cleaning for my custom shirts & suits, and still just take my chances with everything else. Hand cleaning will also prolong the life of your garments. b, 21b, 21Sorry this happened to you!

• What really damages shirts at the dry-cleaners are those full-shirt press machines they use to iron them.

• dry cleaning is a fairly toxic process too. theres more and more places that will do it with products that are less deleterious to health. sorry tom...parlay it into a nicer handmade shirt.b, 21b, 21nice "aside" by kala.lol

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21So I have this really nice handmade dress shirt that i took to the dry cleaner. It cost me a lot, I take really good care of it and wear it for special occasions. I show up to pick up my stuff and notice its got pink splotches all over it. i confronted the woman that owns the place and she played dumb. what are my options here? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21My dad is in this line of biz. I shall ask the Q tonight for yerz