Are You Gonna Sell One Day??

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
i know some of you buy personal collections! are you going to be selling your collection to another generation of buyers years from now??b, 21b, 21are your kids inheriting the collections?b, 21b, 21buried with an Expedit?b, 21b, 21selling on eBay to get most possible money?b, 21b, 21what you all gonna do?

Comments

• THATS MA RETIREMENT PLAN

• i always thought donating it to the smithsonian institute would be an interesting look

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    You got it all wrong. from one LP you can make up to 6 fashion bracelets that retail for $20 ea. Saba did the math and now he has a banner ad to prove it.b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.eco-artware.com/catalog/products/MMM2.jpg"1

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    selling all as we speak

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Mines available for $50K.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    wanting to sell damn near everything as i type this.b, 21b, 21i'm ready for shit to go. there was a time when i thought having multiple copies of every jeru, beatnuts, g.starr, etc. 12" was a good idea...now not so much.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    i had a gf who once said to me "just think, after you're dead someone else will be able to enjoy all these records." b, 21b, 21strange remark to make to a 25-year-old, don't you think?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    In my final dying moments I will click the "upload now" button on the auction lister and, in a matter of weeks, have my entire collection scattered to four corners of the earth.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i always thought donating it to the smithsonian institute would be an interesting look b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21why? so they could sell it?b, 21Because that is exactly what most institutions who receive records as donations do. I am not saying this to be insulting, I am saying this as it is a fact. The Canadian National Library sells things all the time to private buyers. They also THROW RECORDS IN THE GARBAGE. It is also a fact that many institutions do this with items they feel they cannot use.b, 21b, 21So please, sell your collection, give it to a friend, leave it to your kids, but for gods sake don't donate it to some farcical institution.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21THATS MA RETIREMENT PLAN b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Exactly...Purge from time to time when needed though.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i had a gf who once said to me "just think, after you're dead someone else will be able to enjoy all these records." b, 21b, 21strange remark to make to a 25-year-old, don't you think? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21especially if she's a record collector, be weary of marrying her.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21In my final dying moments I will click the "upload now" button on the auction lister and, in a matter of weeks, have my entire collection scattered to four corners of the earth. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I will instruct an attorney to gather together a select group of record collecting friends one at a time and to allow them access and sell them items, but they must first bring the records to him to be looked up on Popsike and then charged the highest amount noted. Just trying to keep it real in the afterlife.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i had a gf who once said to me "just think, after you're dead someone else will be able to enjoy all these records." b, 21b, 21strange remark to make to a 25-year-old, don't you think? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21especially if she's a record collector, be weary of marrying her. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21definite past-tense for her. b, 21b, 21i think she meant it to be an inspirational thought, but the way it was expressed just made it sound like the reaper'd be visiting me sooner rather than later.b, 21b, 21p.s. "weary"/"wary" is a fitting typo as usual

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i always thought donating it to the smithsonian institute would be an interesting look b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21why? so they could sell it?b, 21Because that is exactly what most institutions who receive records as donations do. I am not saying this to be insulting, I am saying this as it is a fact. The Canadian National Library sells things all the time to private buyers. They also THROW RECORDS IN THE GARBAGE. It is also a fact that many institutions do this with items they feel they cannot use.b, 21b, 21So please, sell your collection, give it to a friend, leave it to your kids, but for gods sake don't donate it to some farcical institution. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21ah well, see, I didn't know that, but it's also not surprising. You don't think the MOAH has some sort of archive or something? I just figured if they had collections of harmonicas and pianos and dishware and whatnot, they might have music libraries as well.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21i had a gf who once said to me "just think, after you're dead someone else will be able to enjoy all these records." b, 21b, 21strange remark to make to a 25-year-old, don't you think? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Kind, of but not really based on the context. If you collecting flowers it would be different. THe whole thing with records is that they outlive people. ITS ALMOST LIKE THE RECORDS COLLECT US! SALMAN RUSHDIE?

• I'll pass em on to my kids or my nephew... or i'll will them to someone worthy.

• one time i was thinking about my own mortality and i blurted out to wifey if i die tomorrow GIVE THE RECORDS TO THE KID do not give some craigslist gripper a wet dream when you clean out the house

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Thats why i had a son to give him all of my records, like my father did for me

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If there aren't dealers shaking down your family during your funeral service then your collection ain't worth a damn anyhow.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Your avatar is painful to watch! Please change it. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

• ideally i'll leave it all to a deserving (+interested) family member or close friend. But if i ever did sell, it would definitely be via SSSS! (soul strut set sale!)

• If for some reason we can't make it anymore financially, it will definitely put my little girl through college one day.b, 21b, 21Will those raers still be worth money 20 years from now?

• I??m building a Tomb with marble expedits around my sarcophag, that has a 1210er on my belly. b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I ain't saddling my kids with a ton of vinyl when the time comes.b, 21b, 21Age 60 I'll be auctioning the juicy stuff over a period of a few years.b, 21Dollar bin commons will be donated to a favoured seller as a thank you/ a hated seller as a fusk you.b, 21b, 21I plan to have 10 grails buried with me, and for the location to be ebayed.b, 21The buyer then has to sneak in to the cemetary at the dead of night and do some REAL crate digging to access the raers. b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1203.gif" alt="" 21

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    I think there is a finite window for vinyl being valuable. It'll be closed when the majority of kids have never seen a 1210. If actually (blasphemy I know) [i]playing them/i1 becomes difficult due to lack of hardware, then they will go the way of sheet music, wax cylinders, and betamax.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I think there is a finite window for vinyl being valuable. It'll be closed when the majority of kids have never seen a 1210. If actually (blasphemy I know) [i]playing them/i1 becomes difficult due to lack of hardware, then they will go the way of sheet music, wax cylinders, and betamax. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21People predicted this when CDs came out. They were wrong so far and I can't see that changing in the future. I just don't see why. If anything, the appeal of a record will even become stronger as modern music ceases to exist in a physical format. Records will always be there to remind people of a time when music actually mattered and meant enough to be pressed on vinyl.b, 21b, 21I'm definitely going to sell within the next three years. I'll keep the core of my African collection but will sell off all the Funk 45s, Latin Boogaloo and such. What I hate most about it is that I'll probably have to go through eBay for maximum profit and I've been hearing about how all those rules have changed for the worse and fees have increased...

• I told my wife if the kids don't want them they have to sell them at the flea market. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust and all that.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I think there is a finite window for vinyl being valuable. It'll be closed when the majority of kids have never seen a 1210. If actually (blasphemy I know) [i]playing them/i1 becomes difficult due to lack of hardware, then they will go the way of sheet music, wax cylinders, and betamax. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21People predicted this when CDs came out. They were wrong so far and I can't see that changing in the future. I just don't see why. If anything, the appeal of a record will even become stronger as modern music ceases to exist in a physical format. Records will always be there to remind people of a time when music actually mattered and meant enough to be pressed on vinyl.b, 21b, 21I'm definitely going to sell within the next three years. I'll keep the core of my African collection but will sell off all the Funk 45s, Latin Boogaloo and such. What I hate most about it is that I'll probably have to go through eBay for maximum profit and I've been hearing about how all those rules have changed for the worse and fees have increased... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I think record shows like WFMU may be the place for you--one time table fee and people coming from miles around with cash in hand. And through Soulstrut/Waxidermy/etc you can let people know you will be there. Win/Win.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I think there is a finite window for vinyl being valuable. It'll be closed when the majority of kids have never seen a 1210. If actually (blasphemy I know) [i]playing them/i1 becomes difficult due to lack of hardware, then they will go the way of sheet music, wax cylinders, and betamax. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21People predicted this when CDs came out. They were wrong so far and I can't see that changing in the future. I just don't see why. If anything, the appeal of a record will even become stronger as modern music ceases to exist in a physical format. Records will always be there to remind people of a time when music actually mattered and meant enough to be pressed on vinyl.b, 21b, 21I'm definitely going to sell within the next three years. I'll keep the core of my African collection but will sell off all the Funk 45s, Latin Boogaloo and such. What I hate most about it is that I'll probably have to go through eBay for maximum profit and I've been hearing about how all those rules have changed for the worse and fees have increased... b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21I think record shows like WFMU may be the place for you--one time table fee and people coming from miles around with cash in hand. And through Soulstrut/Waxidermy/etc you can let people know you will be there. Win/Win. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The last FMU show was my first try out and it worked great, I regretted only having reserved a table for the first day. I'm definitely also going to Austin next year. But I don't think I'll be able to completely sell off all records I have on record fairs, especially since my time window will close in 2012 when my wife's contract runs out and we're going to move to some other country that will probably not be ideal to sell records from... it's just a shame with eBay. I sold a few things 10-5 years ago and never had a problem. Now I keep hearing these horror stories.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    If I put them up on CL, mylatency would just swoop on them. I think I'll leave them to the cat.b, 21b, 21Seriously, though. I think I would just let me friends sort it out amongst themselves if I passed on. Let them each come grab 25 records a week until they're all gone.