Hardwoody Floors

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
The area that i roll around in my chair has faded. How can I "restore' the wood?b, 21b, 21Murphy's Oil isnt enuff.b, 21b, 21And i hatt having to move my f*ckin furniture to really get my MOP on.

Comments

• you should of used a floor mat dude

• wrap your chair's wheels in chinchilla. It's the only respectable thing to do.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21you should of used a floor mat dude b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah - Its too late now. I had a f*ckin carpet there when i first moved it. But the chair was rollin smooth enuff. Now I have some fade mark where I play music.b, 21b, 21I think im gonna have to pay for professional treatment.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The beauty of natural materials is that they patina. b, 21b, 21They show age and use. b, 21b, 21Embrace the fade.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The beauty of natural materials is that they patina. b, 21b, 21They show age and use. b, 21b, 21Embrace the fade. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21YES! That's an excellent way to put it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    SAND - RESTAINb, 21b, 21Your gonna have to do the whole room, though.

• I will refinish my floors only when I am ready to sell my house. That shit takes a lot of work to do it right.

Patina is gonna be my new excuse for not doing anything.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I will refinish my floors only when I am ready to sell my house. That shit takes a lot of work to do it right. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21And aside form that you can't be in the house for a few days after so the shit can dry. And all the furniture has to be out, and if you're sanding you gotta cover everything, and then you're still gonna be cleaning up dust for months. I don't know that its a DIY project, seems like the kind of thing that is pricey either way, so you might as well leave it to the pros.b, 21b, 21Batmon, just get someone to come and paint a big portrait of you fighting a killer whale over the messed up part of the floor. That will cover it up, and make it awesome.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I will refinish my floors only when I am ready to sell my house. That shit takes a lot of work to do it right. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21And aside form that you can't be in the house for a few days after so the shit can dry. And all the furniture has to be out, and if you're sanding you gotta cover everything, and then you're still gonna be cleaning up dust for months. I don't know that its a DIY project, seems like the kind of thing that is pricey either way, so you might as well leave it to the pros.b, 21b, 21Batmon, just get someone to come and paint a big portrait of you fighting a killer whale over the messed up part of the floor. That will cover it up, and make it awesome. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21Yeah, if you have the money pay a pro to do it. Otherwise make sure you know what you are doing or you will really F*ck the floors up. When my wife and I were house hunting we saw some really messed up floors. One place had huge areas that were coated with a half inch layers of varnish. Shit was awful.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I will refinish my floors only when I am ready to sell my house. That shit takes a lot of work to do it right. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah but when they're professionally done and you see the magic, it's crazy!! Newly sanded/stained hardwood floors is a major facelift- how can you not want to stick around to enjoy it?

where in the hell do i put my furniture? do i have to put everything in the bedroom and then everything back the the living room. Shifting shit around.b, 21Can pros work from room to room?b, 21b, 21One has to "move" to get their floors done?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I will refinish my floors only when I am ready to sell my house. That shit takes a lot of work to do it right. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah but when they're professionally done and you see the magic, it's crazy!! Newly sanded/stained hardwood floors is a major facelift- how can you not want to stick around to enjoy it? b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I've only been in my house a couple years. The floors were finished right before we bought the house so they still look pretty good. Just a little patina around the dinning room table.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21where in the hell do i put my furniture? do i have to put everything in the bedroom and then everything back the the living room. Shifting shit around.b, 21Can pros work from room to room?b, 21b, 21One has to "move" to get their floors done? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes. Or get a storage unit. If you have kids, you'll need to keep them away from the fumes for a very long time.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21And i hatt having to move my f*ckin furniture to really get my MOP on. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/funnypost.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21where in the hell do i put my furniture? do i have to put everything in the bedroom and then everything back the the living room. Shifting shit around.b, 21Can pros work from room to room?b, 21b, 21One has to "move" to get their floors done? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes. Or get a storage unit. If you have kids, you'll need to keep them away from the fumes for a very long time. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The Batman vs Orca Floor Mural looks better by the moment.

• i've seen partial retorations done before. It's not impossible. just find a small spot that's out of viewb, 21and test different finishes to match the amount of b, 21aging. you start light and gradually go darker.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21you should of used a floor mat dude b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah - Its too late now. I had a f*ckin carpet there when i first moved it. But the chair was rollin smooth enuff. Now I have some fade mark where I play music.b, 21b, 21I think im gonna have to pay for professional treatment. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21seriously, tho...b, 21b, 21

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The beauty of natural materials is that they patina. b, 21b, 21They show age and use. b, 21b, 21Embrace the fade. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Wabi Sabi

• Options
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The area that i roll around in my chair has faded. How can I "restore' the wood?b, 21b, 21Murphy's Oil isnt enuff.b, 21b, 21And i hatt having to move my f*ckin furniture to really get my MOP on. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21What everyone in this thread said about having a pro do it is true, and yes you are foucked for a few days afterwards. But how new are the floors? Are you riding on some Pergo joints in a newly redone building that were only laid down a few years ago or are you on some og floors?b, 21b, 21Reason I ask is that some of the Pergo type flooring systems that they have now cannot be refinished, either that or they can only be done once. This is due to the thinness of the wood. The flipside of that is that the quality is so high on some of them that you can roll roll roll away on your chair and the shit will not get worn down one bit.b, 21b, 21But if they're the og joints, then yeah man go ahead and refinish that shit. Mad toxic dust and chemicals though bro, no joke. Real dangerous shit when they sand the old finish up. It'll fouck your lungpiece up real awfulbits.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    i have a knot in my wood floors that kind of reminds me of Illinois.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    this.... b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.bonakemi.com/images/images08/WP500351001.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21then...b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.bonakemi.com/images/images08/WT760051145.jpg"1

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21The area that i roll around in my chair has faded. How can I "restore' the wood?b, 21b, 21Murphy's Oil isnt enuff.b, 21b, 21And i hatt having to move my f*ckin furniture to really get my MOP on. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21What everyone in this thread said about having a pro do it is true, and yes you are foucked for a few days afterwards. But how new are the floors? Are you riding on some Pergo joints in a newly redone building that were only laid down a few years ago or are you on some og floors?b, 21b, 21Reason I ask is that some of the Pergo type flooring systems that they have now cannot be refinished, either that or they can only be done once. This is due to the thinness of the wood. The flipside of that is that the quality is so high on some of them that you can roll roll roll away on your chair and the shit will not get worn down one bit.b, 21b, 21But if they're the og joints, then yeah man go ahead and refinish that shit. Mad toxic dust and chemicals though bro, no joke. Real dangerous shit when they sand the old finish up. It'll fouck your lungpiece up real awfulbits. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21OG Hardwoody Steez.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21this.... b, 21b, 21img src="http://www.bonakemi.com/images/images08/WP500351001.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21then...b, 21b, 21 img src="http://www.bonakemi.com/images/images08/WT760051145.jpg"1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21"Put a Bona on your hardwood!"

• Batmon, if you sand make sure you cover the air ducts in the room, if you've got forced air. The last thing you need is that shit being pumped through you house for the next while. If you plan on doing it yourself, rent a reciprocal sander, not a belt sander... it may take a little longer you won't f*ck your floors. Also, before you start, try to figure out HOW MUCH floor you have left to sand... if your floors are thin you'll be up shit creek when you sand and find the tongues popping... then your into replacing the floor. (If you have floor vents lift one up and checkout the thickness). If you floors are thin you may be best off just hand sanding the worn floor and slapping down some oil-based varethane.

img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/know.gif" alt="" 21

• If you are going to do it yourself, hardwoods are doable for the sanding part, just be very careful. Don't fusk with the softwood floors, you will screw them up guaranteed, let a pro do it.b, 21b, 21Also, make sure all the pilot lights are out. We had a pro that forgot to put out the furnace pilot light in one of our apartments and he lit the whole floor on fire. Fortunately, he was near the door and got out quickly. Unfortunately, a Fire Marshall was across the street inspecting another apartment complex...b, 21b, 21Lesson learned: Toxic, flammable fumes and open flames do not mix.b, 21b, 21Also the smoke damage was a bitch to paint over.