What kind of music are you into?

DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
How do you answer this question? Particularly when it is asked by someone you have just met. And given that it gets asked so often and is often the fastest way to find some common ground with people and that sadly people will often judge you on your answer.b, 21b, 21I listen to a lot of different music; but that is often also the answer that people who have no idea about music give. Giving a single genre answer like "I'm into Modern Soul" doesn't really seem to work either as it misses everything else i listen to.b, 21b, 21I've long held the view that if you can easily answer that question then you aren't really that into music, but someone i met recently challanged that, so i'm rethinking it.b, 21b, 21People of the strut, what kind of music are you into?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    If it's people I don't know I usually just tell them that I don't like or don't listen to music.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I tell 'em what I'm not into - country, classical, rap - and let them take it from there, if they want to.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    I tell 'em "Wierd stuff." Then I wait to see what they come back with.b, 21b, 21"What, like [...]?"b, 21b, 21I then decide if we have anything further to discuss.b, 21b, 21Unless they have big tits.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    covers of obscure psychedelic rock songs by male-female northern soul duos.b, 21b, 21from (may) 1968 - (august) 1969, preferably. b, 21b, 21only on labels from Michigan, Oakland or Australia.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Latin

• rockb, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21"a lot of shit"

• Good.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Loner Dn'B

• Xian AOR Drone Boner Raers w/ rockabilly moves and .5 Ultimate Sleeves

• 'oldies'

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    unspoken word.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Private Boner Folk Funk....Hop.b, 21b, 21Nah, I just usually say hip hop, rock, and soul.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    music that you don't like

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I listen to a lot of different musicb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21This is a perfectly good answer. I don't see the need to change it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Into" vs "listen".b, 21b, 21What is listen to is broad, what im INTO is another story.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21"Into" vs "listen".b, 21b, 21What is listen to is broad, what im INTO is another story. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Needs tweaking.b, 21b, 21What i am subjected to is vast. What i hear is broad. What makes me actively listen is music that sounds interesting. What I'm into i a smaller subset of this last set.b, 21b, 21By then the person who asked is edging towards the door.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Overpriced stuff that's long been out of style (and maybe never was to begin with). img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21What i am subjected to is vast. What i hear is broad. What makes me actively listen is music that sounds interesting. What I'm into i a smaller subset of this last set.b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21

Is that Sid the Sexist noshing Logic?

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21hip hop, rock, and soul. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21yea pretty much and ummm jazz...b, 21b, 21on a side bar, how about the question of "so what kind of music do you spin"?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm one of the people who will actually start listing off the shit i like.b, 21b, 21"I'm into psych rock, prog rock, kraut rock, classic rock, funky rock, blues rock, heavy rock, hard rock, metal, deathmetal, progressive death metal, Funk, soul, funky soul, Jazz, Funky jazz, Funky jazz soul, Progressive jazz, Jazz fusion funky progressive jazz, rhythm and blues, Du wop, lowrider oldies, motown, stax, northern soul, disco, funky disco, New wave, post punk, punk, boombap hip hop, old school hip hop, golden age hip hop, rap, mid 90's westcoast left field hip hop, mid 90's westcoast hip hop, downtempo, latin, brazillian, flamenco, african, ethiopian, turkish anything blah blah blah blah blah..."b, 21b, 21It's stupid to ask me the f*ckin question so i'll just blather on until the asker is satisfied.b, 21b, 21Personally thats the response I'd like to here. I hate people who will answer that question with. b, 21b, 21"anything but country" b, 21b, 21and at age 25 i've finally come to the conclusion that most people just aren't into music like i am. b, 21b, 21It's just something they enjoy in the background of there lives.b, 21b, 21- spidey

• loner-pop

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    new age booty noise

• "Baby, I'm more into making music" then I blow her a kiss, give her a wink, and tell her I'm going to make her a star tonight.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    b, 21b, 21b, 21"i only listen to good music"

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I tell 'em what I'm not into - country, classical, rapb, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Good. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21The traditional responses of the "has no taste but thinks he does" listener.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The correct answer on the strut should beb, 21b, 21"Whatever music you pay me to play!"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I always love when people respond "I like anything, really." Oh, word? Here, let me throw on this 7" of chants by Aum cult founder Shoko Asahara. You'll love it.

• For years every time I went into Orpheus Records and started looking through their used bins Rick (the owner) would ask - "what are you looking for?" "Something I don't have" was my standard reply.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Public Enemy. I don't think I have ever been able to connect with anyone musically who doesn't have at least a base appreciation for Public Enemy.