Obama's Best Speech - so far?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
State Of The Union Speech?b, 21b, 21Presidential Acceptance Speech?b, 21b, 21The Democratic Convention speech from a minute ago?b, 21b, 21and will he top these in Jan?

Comments

• yesterday at the library that I work at I was looking for some cds to fulfill holds and I overheard a 50-ish year old man talking to the woman sitting next to him at the computers. He was watching Obama's speech right after he was declared president elect. He said "this is just unbelievable." It had this ambiguous tone and I was seriously waiting for him to say some racist bullshit. About 5 minutes went by and I lingered, trying to hear his follow up. He ended up saying "this guy is the greatest ever. There has never been anyone like this."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I actually found his presidential acceptance speech not as good as some of his other ones - like I don't think it was as good or as powerful as his speech acceptance for the nomination.b, 21b, 21This might be his best speech yet. "A More Perfect Union" - 3/18/08, Philadelphia, PA.b, 21b, 21/object1

• 1). The fact that we have so many to pic from is amazing. Especially when we've had a president for the past 8 who could barely put together a f*cking sentence.b, 21b, 212). I'm not sure what speech it was but I remember it was late december and I saw this speech he gave that was aired on CNN. I was in El Salvador and I remember sitting on the couch in the sweltering heat watching that and having my eyes start to well up. I simply didn't know how to process what was happening, it was both joy and confusion. Joy because what he was saying was hitting me profoundly and confusion because I didn't expect to be driven to tears, and especially from a politician. That experience ended with my cousin saying "I like that guy".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I actually found his presidential acceptance speech not as good as some of his other ones - like I don't think it was as good or as powerful as his speech acceptance for the nomination.b, 21b, 21This might be his best speech yet. "A More Perfect Union" - 3/18/08, Philadelphia, PA.b, 21b, 21/object1 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21

• Lupe Fiasco was "not impressed" by the acceptance speech.b, 21b, 21I guess it was on a similar level to that totally average "Low End Theory" record.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I still go with the "race" speech. His campaign was make or break at that point and he pulled no punches, heightened the moment and the discourse, and hit it out of the park. The line at the time was that he talked to the nation like they were adults and he has continued to do so and it's something I really like about him -- he doesn't pander even when not doing so could be politically perilous.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Race Speech" = "A More Perfect Union"b, 21b, 21And yeah, the speech on January I expect to trump all these joints.b, 21b, 21And dudes, nothing that comes out of Lupe Fiasco's mouth is to be taken seriously - most of all his raps.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Post deleted by white_tea

• the speech in Philly was incredible. I still think his speech at the '04 convention was the most moving for me, possibly just because it was the first time I'd heard him talk. In fact I don't think I've seen/heard it again since then but damn that was img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" 21

• this is not the best 'speech' per se but i like this one...ADHD people might not like it, it's more a lecture than actual speech. b, 21b, 21

• there also a more expanded version of the cooper union one about economics that is over an hour long but i couldn't find it on youtube anymore. anyone know which one i'm talking about ?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    1. "A More Perfect Union" a/k/a the Philly "race" speechb, 212. Nomination acceptance speechb, 213. Presidential victory speechb, 214. '04 Convention speechb, 21b, 21"A More Perfect Union" was the best of my lifetime by any national political figure.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Lupe Fiasco was "not impressed" by the acceptance speech.b, 21b, 21I guess it was on a similar level to that totally average "Low End Theory" record. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that guy is really starting to act like a jag-off. I guess if Nigo or James Lavelle did a "x" collabo with Obama maybe it would of lubricated his SB panties.

• I'm I right in saying after this speech, there wasn't much talk about Wright and Race? b, 21b, 21One of the best I've heard, period.b, 21b, 21/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 211. "A More Perfect Union" a/k/a the Philly "race" speech b, 21b, 21h, 21

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jesus f*cking christ I just watched this again and has shaken me to the core.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Lupe Fiasco was "not impressed" by the acceptance speech.b, 21b, 21I guess it was on a similar level to that totally average "Low End Theory" record. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21that guy is really starting to act like a jag-off. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21FIXED!

/font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21"A More Perfect Union" was the best of MY LIFETIME by any national political figure. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif" alt="" 21

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Lupe Fiasco was "not impressed" by the acceptance speech.b, 21b, 21I guess it was on a similar level to that totally average "Low End Theory" record. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Guess he didn't get the nod for the inaugural party. b, 21b, 21The real question: Common, Kanye, both or neither?b, 21b, 21I'm thinking Common or neither. b, 21b, 21Stevie = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sn.gif" alt="" 21

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Common (Chicago)b, 21Stevie (Musical Hero / Theme Song)b, 21EW&F (Favorite Band)

That day is gonna be like the Mothership Landing.b, 21b, 21Cats are gonna party HARD!

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I actually found his presidential acceptance speech not as good as some of his other ones - like I don't think it was as good or as powerful as his speech acceptance for the nomination.b, 21b, 21This might be his best speech yet. "A More Perfect Union" - 3/18/08, Philadelphia, PA.b, 21b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21cosine to all of this.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21"A More Perfect Union" was the best of my lifetime by any national political figure. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21A thousand times, yes. This is the one we'll be talking about 50 years in the future. What kills me is the depth and direction of this speech; the nuance nearly hermetically seals his argument. By this, I mean that 95% of all post-speech Wright-related criticism would have been answered by a closer and more open reading of its transcript. It was so good that the GOPpers were taking the reference to his grandmother wildly out of context in order to muddle the impact. Karl Rove was reduced to questioning its validity on the basis that it had no memorable one-liners.b, 21b, 21But the last laugh echoes: they are teaching this in schools already.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Most important speech:b, 21Toward A More Perfect Unionb, 21b, 21Two others great speeches that need to be mentioned:b, 212004 Dem Con (already mentioned I know)b, 21b, 21Iowa victory speech (callused hand by callused hand)b, 21Do people remember this one? I think it was his best oratory and helped lead to the attacks that he was just a good speech maker and nothing more. b, 21b, 21Inauguration will be very interesting. Kennedy's was one of the great speeches of our nations history. Lincoln's first and second, Roosevelt's first and Reagan's first are also sighted as great speeches. So people will be expecting greatness and it will not be a time for him to hold back.b, 21b, 21I know so many people who are talking about going. I'm not sure how many people even can get close enough to hear or how you get to sit in the bleachers. Both my mother and sister are talking about going. b, 21b, 21The one I am looking forward to is the State Of The Union. For some sick reason I have always enjoyed these and remember when Reagan first started putting antidotes into them and singling out regular people and having them stand up in the balcony. b, 21b, 21If Obama can deliver an inspirational speech that gets both sides of the isle on their feet and inspires them to do real work in the following weeks that may be his greatest speech ever.