Strangely amusing things you did as a child.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
I was at the grocery store the other day and ran into a 4-5 year old kid in a shopping cart keeping himself entertained with that guttural throat stutter sound that ODB did on the intro to "Goin' Down." It brought back many childhood memories going throat-to-throat with my cousins back in the day *PASUE*. Needless to say, I had the biggest smile on my face watching that kid strain to keep it going. I was cheering for him big-time on the inside.b, 21b, 21Today I was laying on my back relaxin' on the couch. I started reminiscing back to when I use to daydream about my house being upside down. I used to stare at the ceiling and map out my daily adventures..."Okay, I'll have to jump over that little wall to get out of my bedroom, then walk down the hall...but wait, that's a big drop from the hallway to the living room. Plus it's slanted! I'm gonna need some step stools and climbing rope for this mess!"b, 21b, 21Anybody else do this kind of stuff? I can't front...I'd still like to walk upside-down around my house some day. I also use to build makeshift bike ramps, lay down a couple cousins and friends and ramp over 'em like Evel Knievel. Thank God I was a good ramper.

Comments

• speaking of grocery stores...b, 21b, 21don't step on the (insert color) tiles, they are lava.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21Today I was laying on my back relaxin' on the couch. I started reminiscing back to when I use to daydream about my house being upside down. I used to stare at the ceiling and map out my daily adventures..."Okay, I'll have to jump over that little wall to get out of my bedroom, then walk down the hall...but wait, that's a big drop from the hallway to the living room. Plus it's slanted! I'm gonna need some step stools and climbing rope for this mess!"b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21I used to do that too! b, 21b, 21Flashed back to using the couch flaps as the "headquarters" for whatever action figures.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21speaking of grocery stores...b, 21b, 21don't step on the (insert color) tiles, they are lava. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yeah that lava will F*ck you up, boy.b, 21b, 21Man, I had a voodoo hole in the wall next to my bed. That's where it all went down. VOODOO HOLE. Sounds risque, but it wasn't. It was just where I had to make the voodoo happen. b, 21b, 21img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1074.gif" alt="" 21

• Damn, voodoo hole huh? That's like... the break genesis.

• Do the words "Pancho's Giveaway" mean anything to you guys?b, 21b, 21We used to always clown fools with that."Where did you get those busted ass shoes? Pancho's Giveaway??"b, 21b, 21For the longest time, I thought it was a real place. We have a small park with a Pancho Villa statue downtown and I figured maybe there was a weekend swap meet type of deal where you could get stuff for free.b, 21b, 21Years later when I was grown, M*rs heard me clown somebody with that and said "Oh shit, YOU guys had a Pancho's Giveaway?! I thought that was some L.A. shit!"b, 21b, 21It's a trip how these sayings travel...

• yeah i did the upside down thing. i was also fascinated with crawling through vents and looking for secret passage ways in old houses. A second flight of stairs in a house blew my mind when i was about 7. I thought that shit led to another dimesnsion.b, 21b, 21Ninja Turtles got me seriously pumped on sewers to the point where some of my local friends and i got some flashlights and crawled throughout the neighborhood system until the passages got too small and we had to turn back.b, 21b, 21travelling through hyperspace was when the family minivan went through a tunnel. You had to cover up with a protective blanket or your a$$ was dead!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Ninja Turtles got me seriously pumped on sewers to the point where some of my local friends and i got some flashlights and crawled throughout the neighborhood system until the passages got too small and we had to turn back.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21"seriously pumped on sewers" is the best phrase I've read all week!b, 21b, 21For me, it was Die Hard: just getting onto the roof. I HAD to try and get on the roof of any downtown building. Got lost and locked into a couple stairwells, for sure. I still do it. It's easier now, that I'm not 12 and holding a skateboard (not for Die Hard roof missions, at least), but I still love it.b, 21b, 21wtf

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21travelling through hyperspace was when the family minivan went through a tunnel. You had to cover up with a protective blanket or your a$$ was dead! b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Ha ha! To this day, my friend & I call long, lit tunnels "new car tunnels" 'cause every busted ass car look like it has that showroom sparkle!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    its hilarious that all u guys did the upside down thing, it never occured to me that others thought of that too...and i dont know when that would ever come into conversation

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,b, 21b, 21I used to do all kind of weird shit as a kid such as:b, 21b, 211. Playing "that's my car" with my brother as other (nicer-looking) cars passed our car (this ugly light-blue Delta 88; it was a 70's thang!) on the highway.b, 21b, 212. Running from the Ajax tornado commercial as a 4-year old because it scared me.b, 21b, 213. Twirling a sock on my finger over-and-over for no damn reason (wtf). There is even a picture of me doing this in my parent's photo album.b, 21b, 214. Doin' my Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson dance after scoring a touchdown while playing sandlot football.b, 21b, 215. Me and my brother were "Elmer's glue masters" fixing mom's ceramics that we broke while fighting. "Hold it still, put the glue right there. Hurry!!!"b, 21b, 216. Trying to imitate Wolfman Jack's voice when he was on the TV.b, 21b, 217. Using bubbles from the bathtub to make a mustache and beard on my face.b, 21b, 218. Eating a piece of the flower soap in the bathroom by mistake thinking it was candy. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 219. Playing drums on pots and pans (and also on my Fisher-Price airport) as a 4-year old.b, 21b, 2110. Sleepwalking and pissin' in the clothes hamper at the end of the hallway. I also did this once on the floor tom of my drumset (when I was about 7).b, 21b, 21Peace,b, 21b, 21Big Stacks from Kakalak

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21speaking of grocery stores...b, 21b, 21don't step on the (insert color) tiles, they are lava. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21um i kind of still do that! or else i would do the one where you pretend the couch was an island in a sea of lava and jump from chair to chair to couch not wanting to fall into the lava. b, 21b, 21man it's funny how as a kid you could play for hours on end and never get bored or even physically tired. now i can't do anything longer than 20 minutes.

• I used to travel around my parents house without touching the floor.... I had mad routes.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21or else i would do the one where you pretend the couch was an island in a sea of lava and jump from chair to chair to couch not wanting to fall into the lava. b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes!

• i sleptwalk to my neighbours back yard and rang their bell

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "THAT'S MY CAR" was the best game ever.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    1) Gerballi ??? One summer we made up this game using hockey sticks and an old ABA basketball???..basically hockey with a basketball???..had team names, schedules and playoffs???.other neighborhood kids made fun of us.b, 21b, 212) In the late 60???s me and my friends made up a Presidential candidate and made campaign posters that we hung up around a 4 block radius. His name was Joe Bagodonuts and his platform included things like ???No More School??? and ???Free Ice Cream???.b, 21b, 21b, 213) Dirt Bomb Fightsb, 21b, 214) Bumble Bee fights ??? We would catch those big fuzzy bumble bees in a jar, place them in the freezer for 20 minutes and while they were ???knocked out??? we would tie strings around their bodies then go outside and when they came to we would chase each other and have Bumble Bee Fights??????only ones who ever got stung were by the bees they were holding.b, 21b, 215) When I was about 7-8 years old I would push the local mailman???s cart for him for hours.b, 21b, 216) King of Hatchet Hill ??? Just like King of the Hill on a big pile of dirt except the ???King??? got to wield a hatchet.

• some stories about me as a toddler that have been family favorites...b, 21b, 21shortly after being potty trained I went with my dad and grandpa to the hardware store. I had to go to the bathroom and wanting to flaunt my new found skills, I proceeded to climb into the window display where a brand new toilet was advertised, I naturally then took a whiz into the window display toilet for all to see. The store manager was pissed, but my dad being 6'10" and 300+ lbs, the manager did not really do anything but grumble...b, 21b, 21Christmas shopping in Sears...I was riding on my dad's shoulders and it was very crowded. I had a fondness for all things red and saw a lady with VERY red hair..I reached out to grab it and the lady kept walking and the hair stayed in my hand...it was a wig and this lady with her bald head was standing in a crowded Sears...she was livid, but seeing that the culprit was a toddler had no recourse. My pop said she grabbed her wig and ran out of the store...b, 21b, 21In the early 70s, infant safety products were not in abundance. A few times a week my parents would find me under my crib crying. They were thinking I was crawling under there and hitting my head, so the padded the bottom of the crib. However, they would still find me under there crying. Then one day my mom spotted me under the crib, she came to get me out of there, but before she could get me she saw what was making me cry. I was sticking my tongue in the electrical socket... img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oof.gif" alt="" 21

• I'm told that when I was 3, I walked into my Mom and Dad's room and drank a bottle of Chanel No 5 perfume.