Living Legends Blues

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
Which first generation Delta, Chicago, Piedmont blues musicians are still alive?b, 21b, 21Honeyboy Edwardsb, 21When I was 14 or 15 I had heard my brothers copy of Robert Johnson King Of The Delta Blues. And I could play a little guitar. At a folk festival I heard Edwards. He was playing Sweet Home Chicago. He reached into his suit coat pocket and pulled out a metal tube and played the first slide notes I had ever heard live. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/melt.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21He is still alive. He knew Johnson and has spent the last 50 years being asked if he was with Johnson when he sold his soul? Did he meet the devil? Was it at the crossroads of HWY 10 and SR 274 or the crossorads or 274 and Tupelo HWY?b, 21b, 21He may be the last of that generation of blues guitarist. b, 21b, 21Chephas & Wiggams (sp) are holding down the Piedmont tradition, but I think they are second generation. b, 21b, 21Pinetop Perkins is the only first generation Chicago guy I can think of who is still living. b, 21b, 21Johnny Otis represents just about the last of the territorial band/R&B guys still alive. b, 21b, 21Who else?

Comments

• Other living jump-blues guys besides Johnny Otis: Big Jay McNeely, Joe Houston