Machine Gun Etiquette Appreciation

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
got the Damn Damned bug...cant stop listening to this LP...one of the greatsb, 21

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21b, 21b, 21Plan 9 Channel 7 is the bombb, 21b, 21AntiPope is some cooking bongo punk lounge actionb, 21b, 21Melody Lee = pure fireb, 21>>>>>>> Brain James.b, 21b, 21A GOAT punk/power pop tour de force.

• perusing the photo collage on the inner sleeve....damn! wish I coulda seen this:b, 21img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/thehookup/dmh.gif"1

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Lemmy only played a few gigs, pre-MGE release, and before Algy Ward joined.b, 21I stopped counting the Damned gigs I went to at about 30, circa 1981. Let me assure you they were a real spectacle. Vanian always rocked the moody vampire look, Sensible was a crazed, gurning loon (and a very under-rated guitarist IMHO), Scabies did the bare-chested Moon impressions with aplomb and much sweat flying backlit by the light show and something a little crazy happened at every gig.b, 21b, 21The title track of MGE has backing vocals by Mick Jones and Joe Strummer btw, largely unannouced IIRC.b, 21b, 21Happy days. Sigh.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Love this record except for "These Hands". The Damned are really underrated in my book, no one takes them seriously because the never took themselves too serious.b, 21b, 21The Clash were recording London Calling in the same studio while the Damned were mixing MGE, there's footage on youtube of Sensible playing drumes behind the Clash. Must have been some crazy creative energy flowing around there

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    That era Damned is great, the album is great, just forget about what came after though.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    I haven't really gotten past damned damned damned - not sure why, I love that record. Just haven't gotten around to checking out anything else. I think maybe because everything I heard other than that record was later and awful. Is this one as good/better as the first?b, 21b, 21I didn't know lemme played with them - I think those moles carry some sort of super power.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I haven't really gotten past damned damned damned - not sure why, I love that record. Just haven't gotten around to checking out anything else. I think maybe because everything I heard other than that record was later and awful. Is this one as good/better as the first?b, 21b, 21I didn't know lemme played with them - I think those moles carry some sort of super power. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Machine Gun is the best one IMO, with the debut being 2nd..."Music for Pleasure" would have made a good 45, but that actually exsists..."Problem Child" b/w "You take my money" on Stiffb, 21b, 21I also have a soft spot for "Eloise" and "Alone Again or" because it was their versions that turned me on to the originals as a youngster...b, 21b, 21but most of the other stuff is too goth for me...