Volunteering, Organizing, and Being the Change

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
So, as the last few months have shown, we're a group of people???an international group???who have been moved to unite under a common cause. And we know that this has just begun. That there's a lot of work to do, and no time to waste. So the question is, what now? I'm chomping at the bit to devote my time and energy to making a difference in this new day. I want suggestions of what local, national, and international organizations that are doing great work and need help. And I want ideas about what we can do together to keep this thing moving. b, 21b, 21The time is now. Let's do this.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. Why wasn't it already time to do this before last night?b,121b,1212. Please find a cause where you are actually contributing directly to something. Don't stop short by merely donating money or publicizing the name of someone else who is supposedly doing something. Find some area, however small it may be, and do that shit like there's no tomorrow.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Find some area, however small it may be, and do that shit like there's no tomorrow.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Here's one a friend of mine mentioned last night:

"Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic (RFB&D), a national nonprofit, volunteer organization, has been the leading accessible audiobook library for students with disabilities such as visual impairment or dyslexia that make reading standard print difficult or impossible for the last 60 years."

You basically get to read a random book aloud for a few hours, which is then turned into an audiobook for people who are blind or dyslexic.

Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic

• Right after the 2004 election, I started volunteering for a Portland-based non-profit called SMART (Start Making a Reader Today) dedicated to helping elementary school students with their reading. I went in for an hour each week and would sit with two students (one every half hour) as they worked their way through a book or two. Super easy, hopefully super helpful.

Didn't know it at the time, but our very own Laserwolf is a major player with SMART.

I'm not opposed to getting involved with something similar here in Minneapolis.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Right after the 2004 election, I started volunteering for a Portland-based non-profit called SMART (Start Making a Reader Today) dedicated to helping elementary school students with their reading. I went in for an hour each week and would sit with two students (one every half hour) as they worked their way through a book or two. Super easy, hopefully super helpful.

Didn't know it at the time, but our very own Laserwolf is a major player with SMART.

Thanks.

Not a major player. Volunteer organizer for one of 200 schools SMART operated in. They have eliminated the pay from the job, so I am not doing it this year. I told them I would volunteer to read once a week if they got a local program together, but they haven't. I still volunteer with another in-school literacy program with the Library. http://www.multcolib.org/los/books2u/

DB, you are in Boston? You are working for PBS?

Acting locally is a great thing. Working with kids is a great thing. I love books so I do literacy work. Walk into your local school or local library and ask what is going on.

Internationally I like Mercy Corps, Doctors Without Boarders.

Broader work with children, Stand For Children and locally Self Enhancement Inc.

Community Organizing, ACORN.

Hunger, your local food bank.

What I am considering now is finding out what volunteer opportunities exist with local organizations working with homeless vets. Wont happen till after the first of the year.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Right after the 2004 election, I started volunteering for a Portland-based non-profit called SMART (Start Making a Reader Today) dedicated to helping elementary school students with their reading. I went in for an hour each week and would sit with two students (one every half hour) as they worked their way through a book or two. Super easy, hopefully super helpful.

What school did you read at?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I reinstated my local neighborhood association (North Iroquois Neighborhood Association), and became acting President for the past two years. Workin' on non-profit 501(c) 4 status at the moment, planning for the reuse of a former housing project site to become a mixed use community in the coming years, changing the dumb local councilmen and women into doing something right now and not later. Its hard work with no pay, but thats the reward for it.

• please don't downplay the importance of gardening.
    urban gardens easily involve people of all ages, strengthen community, create green spaces (mental health related), encourage physical activity, educate and teach the ancient art of growing one's own food (near future survival related??)

austin has the rhyzome collective, which has a major name in the world of D.I.Y. urban sustainability due to their location and the workshops they teach.

politics is one thing. many people while i was canvassing yesterday told me "nothings gonna change". and this is probably true. but i want to use any leverage i haev in any sphere of influence. a vote is leverage. but i get much much more satisfacttion working in my community.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Find some area, however small it may be, and do that shit like there's no tomorrow.

JYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see you Batmon. Stay drunk folls. I'm drinking huge gin and tonics and the crib right now with R. Kelly on blast on the stereo.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21DB, you are in Boston? You are working for PBS?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes, PBS and NPR. b, 21b, 21I'm looking into Big Brothers, Big Sisters right now to see if it's a viable option in relation to the time and money I have to work with.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21/font1Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21DB, you are in Boston? You are working for PBS?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Yes, PBS and NPR. b, 21b, 21I'm looking into Big Brothers, Big Sisters right now to see if it's a viable option in relation to the time and money I have to work with. b, 21b, 21h, 21b, 21b, 21I did BB/BS for years, and loved it. You do need a little disposable cash to spend on the youngun', but i found it very rewarding. b, 21b, 21I was thinking about this last night, and might try to funnel soccer and football tix to kids. let me know if i can help you with that...