Y'ALL KNOW THESE HIP HOP CASSETTES?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I just came across what appears to be some early - mid 90's gangsta rap cassettes in some boxes here in the cribsite. Just wondering if any of y'all folls who are into this type of thing might know about them (as in are thay worth any scrill). I know some of the obscure gangsta CDs can be big $$$, but how about cassettes? Anyway, here are a couple of titles-SJP (this may actually just be a demo tape, I dunno... it has a printed label on it, no j-card. Song titles include "I'z Po", "The Lice Is Tryin To Get Me", "One Punch And He's Down" and "Two Fingers And A Fist".)Po-Kedz "True Young Buckz" (I think these dudes are down with SJP... songs include "Stompin' Jealous Pussiez" and "I'll Bust A Cap")G-Mo "Ballin' For Life" (featuring "All Dese Batches", "Ballin'", "Playa Hatas" and "Gangsta Groovin")I got a lot of other non-gangsta obscure ass tapes I wanna drop on the 'Bay, early 90's mixtapes too. I just ain't sure if folls are really collecting these thangs or not. Holla if you know somethin'!

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Okay... I guess this stuff is too obscure for even the soulstrut intelligentsia to know about. Still, do y'all know if anybody's collecting (and paying big yaper) for hip hop cassettes, be they gangsta, plain ol' hip hop or mixtapes? I'd like to unload some of this stuff but I ain't tryin' to waste time Ebaying it if there's not much of a market fo' it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

G-Mo "Ballin' For Life" (featuring "All Dese Batches", "Ballin'", "Playa Hatas" and "Gangsta Groovin")

i've never seen this on cassette ...the cd is not too hard to find..i doubt the tape will get you paid...but then again you might get 2 or 3 cassette dudes who wage a small battle for it... but nothing out of control...i would probably bid on it

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    theres a market for anything that includes tracks such as "Stompin' Jealous Pussiez"

honestly though, there is a market for "old school" hip hop cassettes, especially now that no stores carry the shiz anymore. id scope ebay for sure, you may not get BIG BUCKS, but any bucks is better than non-buckz.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    cassettes are the ish,I ERASED MY BOSS TAPE?!?!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

man, I was JUST thinking about that album

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

man, I was JUST thinking about that album

I was just playing that album...then again, I play that album pretty constantly. And over the weekend, I finally stumbled upon the sample for "Be Black." It was the score of the weekend for me. Also, "King Sun with the Sword" is perhaps my all-time favorite "Funky Drummer" chop.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    SJP (this may actually just be a demo tape, I dunno... it has a printed label on it, no j-card. Song titles include "I'z Po", "The Lice Is Tryin To Get Me", "One Punch And He's Down" and "Two Fingers And A Fist".)

Po-Kedz "True Young Buckz" (I think these dudes are down with SJP... songs include "Stompin' Jealous Pussiez" and "I'll Bust A Cap")

G-Mo "Ballin' For Life" (featuring "All Dese Batches", "Ballin'", "Playa Hatas" and "Gangsta Groovin")

Those sound like names and titles made up by somebody to make fun of rap.

I do like "The Lice Is Tryin To Get Me" though.

"Hurry up and check my scalp thoro dunny. If you make me miss my nail appointment Imma stomp your jealous pussiez azz."

• Art_FormArt_Form 188 Posts
    Where IS that dude??? I did like the first album "XL"

SJP (this may actually just be a demo tape, I dunno... it has a printed label on it, no j-card. Song titles include "I'z Po", "The Lice Is Tryin To Get Me", "One Punch And He's Down" and "Two Fingers And A Fist".)

Po-Kedz "True Young Buckz" (I think these dudes are down with SJP... songs include "Stompin' Jealous Pussiez" and "I'll Bust A Cap")

Those sound like names and titles made up by somebody to make fun of rap.

I do like "The Lice Is Tryin To Get Me" though.

"Hurry up and check my scalp thoro dunny. If you make me miss my nail appointment Imma stomp your jealous pussiez azz."

I know, it sounds like a joke, right? But believe me, it's fo' real. I haven't ever even listened to these tapes, but I really need to now. When jacobwizzle introduced the term "batches" to the Soulstrut lexicon I thought that was just his own thing he made up, but I guess not!

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

I got a lot of other non-gangsta obscure ass tapes I wanna drop on the 'Bay, early 90's mixtapes too. I just ain't sure if folls are really collecting these thangs or not. Holla if you know somethin'!

If you are looking to sell let me know. I might be interested if the lot is good.

Where IS that dude??? I did like the first album "XL"

Yeah, I dug that album, too, but to me, Righteous but Ruthless was the one. The production was better, and Sun is ridiculously nice when it comes to properly riding a beat. I always pack at least one Sun joint in the crate.

Last I heard, he did a single in, I think, 1996 (as "Jeweluh Sun Dullah" or something like that) and pretty much disappeared after that.

Yo, I'm feelin' that logo, Enki!

Yo, I'm feelin' that logo, Enki!

Thanks, mayne. Glad I'm not the only one.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    to me "stomping jealous pussiez" sounds like it would be SJP dis track

to me "stomping jealous pussiez" sounds like it would be SJP dis track

Both of those cassettes have some of the same song titles (on the flip sides, not shown in the pic), so I'm guessing that they're all crew. I assume that SJP is "Stomping Jealous Pussiez" in abbreviated form, like NWA is "Niggaz With Attitude".

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The Lice is Trying to Get On Me

PO PO

I got a lot of other non-gangsta obscure ass tapes I wanna drop on the 'Bay, early 90's mixtapes too. I just ain't sure if folls are really collecting these thangs or not. Holla if you know somethin'!

If you are looking to sell let me know. I might be interested if the lot is good.

I'll probably post a list once I go through everything. Just looking at this little stack I have here, I have stuff like the original promo tape of De La's "Buhloone Mindstate" lp, complete with barnyard noises in the mix and Tommy Boy j-card... Whooliganz (Alchemist's old group) advance promo of "Put Your Hands Up" I believe with a special edit and acapella (I don't believe the 12" had an acapella... this was given to me to do a remix with, but it's got a cheap little paper j-card with the Tommy Boy logo, just like the De La tape. Mobb Squad "Danger Zone" out of Philly, which is Tuff Crew-related....a few other non descript items here and there, and also a Lou Donaldson "Say It Loud" tape. Lots o' mixtapes... Doo wop, Backspin, LG, etc.

• AzeezAzeez 9 Posts
    Okay... I guess this stuff is too obscure for even the soulstrut intelligentsia to know about. Still, do y'all know if anybody's collecting (and paying big yaper) for hip hop cassettes, be they gangsta, plain ol' hip hop or mixtapes? I'd like to unload some of this stuff but I ain't tryin' to waste time Ebaying it if there's not much of a market fo' it.

I've seen 2pac tapes (singles...papa'z song or i get around) go for crazy $. Most of these obscure gansta cds are purchased by japanese collectors (I think there is a market for tapes in Japan). However, I'd give it a try & also file it in the cd section, type g-rap in the subject/title line...you might be lucky
    p.s. I'm a big fan of the Indikator EP you produced...Indikator was nice enough to hook me up with a copy

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

I've seen 2pac tapes (singles...papa'z song or i get around) go for crazy $. Most of these obscure gansta cds are purchased by japanese collectors (I think there is a market for tapes in Japan). However, I'd give it a try & also file it in the cd section, type g-rap in the subject/title line...you might be lucky
    p.s. I'm a big fan of the Indikator EP you produced...Indikator was nice enough to hook me up with a copy

Like I said before. 2PAC SINGLE

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i suspect that pac and icp fans are the french modern soul buyers of the rap tape market.

• theres a market for anything that includes tracks such as "Stompin' Jealous Pussiez"

honestly though, there is a market for "old school" hip hop cassettes, especially now that no stores carry the shiz anymore. id scope ebay for sure, you may not get BIG BUCKS, but any bucks is better than non-buckz.

there is still stores with hip hop cassettes. One I know if specifically that "specializes" in gospel/rap/hip hop/etc... i never really thought about it..but it wouldnt be a bad idea to scope it out and see what i might be able to come up on and flip.