Argentine Soccer Federation Loses Its Mind

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited November 2008 in Strut Central
They just hired Maradona to be the national team manager. The equivalent of making Daryl Strawberry the coach of the Yankees. Good luck with that one.b, 21b,121 a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/sports/soccer/04maradona.html?pagewanted=1&hp" target="_blank"1Looking better since the stomach staple/a1

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I saw this. Though the whole thing reeks of desperation and clutching at straws it could work if they install him as an "inspirational" (football not lifestyle related) figurehead for the team and back that up with some solid and dependable back room staff. Though more than likely he'll alienate half the first team by January and leave under mutual agreement by March.b,121b,121It's particularly bizarre as it's only two years since Argentina were arguably the best team in the world and they still have the same squad now as then.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    At some point, somewhere down the line, it was fated, nay inevitable, nay mandatory that he would be given the job. The Argentine people would be forever demanding it.b, 21b, 21Far better from the AFA's point of view to do it now while he is in some decent shape and some way ahead of a World Cup.b, 21b,121I think it is a relatively smart move.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Yeah I saw this. Though the whole thing reeks of desperation and clutching at straws it could work if they install him as an "inspirational" (football not lifestyle related) figurehead for the team and back that up with some solid and dependable back room staff.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I think he's going to be assisted by Carlos Bilardo, the national team manager in '86 and '90.b, 21b,121I'm hoping/expecting for a Lavezzi-Aguero-Messi front line!b,121b,121Luckily for Diego River Plate are having their worst season ever, so he won't have to select any Millonarios.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If they had subbed Messi instead of that other bozo in the Germany match, we wouldn't be talking about this. That was the best team in the tournament. Unlucky break with the keeper.b,121b,121b/wb, 21b, 21I think you're right about getting him out of the way early.

• read this yesterday. desperate move.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121They just hired Maradona to be the national team manager. The equivalent of making Daryl Strawberry the coach of the Yankees. Good luck with that one.b, 21b, 21 a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/sports/soccer/04maradona.html?pagewanted=1&hp" target="_blank"1Looking better since the stomach staple/a1 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21b, 21Coke and strippers!!!!!!! I hope they don't have any matches in Japan anytime soon. I think Maradona is still banned from entering Japan, maybe for life due some cocaine possession charges from years back.b,121b,121img src="http://blog.eitb24.com/media/Image/maradona(1).jpg"1

• I don't know about you guys, but I prefer the fat maradona. b, 21b, 21It would be hilarious to see him coaching all fat on the sidelines. That's just me of course.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21I don't know about you guys, but I prefer the fat maradona. b, 21b, 21It would be hilarious to see him coaching all fat on the sidelines. That's just me of course. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21That's anxiety for ya. When he quit the coke he started eating like crazy. It's a bitch to get over but now he's looking better. b, 21b, 21I'm just waiting for Bianchi to get his shot at coaching. When that day comes I truly believe we'll have our 3rd cup.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Did you know Bianchi used to play in my dads neighbourhood team and he has always been a River Plate fanatico.... when he got soigned as a youngster to Boca Juniors, his forst game he scored 2 goals against his hero, river plates crazy keeper, gati... My dad reckons Bianchi was crying after the game cause he felt like shit.... But I dont think bianchi wants to coach the national team atm...b, 21b, 21First thing they need to do is F*ck off Riquelme, and play Macherano more. Diego might be a carcature aroud the world, but you got to understand he is a GOD in Argentina, not just cus of his skills on the field but his 'common man' attitude. Dude c an be a nutcase and can go off the rails, but he has also had alot of people screw him up ... he is a humble man of the people and much smarter than people give him credit for.... If he avoids a head on clash with the old guard at AFA and doesnt run his mouth on camera too much he could succeed in this role.... He will need a strong side man to keep him in line....b, 21b, 21Has anyone seen the movie 'Amando Maradona'?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Look, we understand. Over here they tried everything in their power to get Michael Jordan to run an NBA squad. He was an impassive executive at best. b, 21b, 21I don't follow soccer that closely. What's up with Riquelme? I love his game (at least what I saw at the World Cup).

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Has anyone seen the movie 'Amando Maradona'? b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Is this the Costa Rican documentary? I want to check that out. I watched this one last week:b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21Pretty flagrant soap opera treatment, but a guilty pleasure.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    "HAND OF GOD"b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h, 21b, 21b, 21I don't follow soccer that closely. What's up with Riquelme? I love his game (at least what I saw at the World Cup). b, 21b, 21h, 21
    b, 21b, 21Small, creative player. Small being his downfall, evidently.b, 21b, 21I don't remember seeing much of Riquelme -- I generally hate South American soccer, so I avoid those games -- so this is just going off of what I've read on the BBC's 606 forum.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    riquelme < macheranob, 21b, 21bilardo maradona combo might work, as they have the history of 2 world cups together, but there is too much politics involved in south american futbol, so things are never done right...b, 21b, 21The AFA thought they had got rid of Diego for good in the early 90s and then we got smashed by colombia... 50,000 ppl started chanting his name and thats why they brought him inoto the team again...so if he has that typ of love then they wont have a choice.... but end of the day, I love the game and love the team just wish the players got their heads out of their ass sometimes....its frustrating having the best team on papaer then they get on the field and F*ck around....b, 21b, 21the last few games when they have been winning and started delaying play and wasting time really shits me, cus that aint the argie way of playing.... so if Diego can make the team hungry again and inspire the players to think about the whole rather than their part...we should get the ball rolling (excuse the pun).... also I find Messi style (and some of the other short players) similar to Diegos in many areas so he might be helpful... he is the master of using his small size and knows how to play when you have 4 defenders hacking you all game....something Messi is copping all the time now...b, 21b, 21The other good option for coach would be Simeone.