Laurel Aitken r.i.p.

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I know there are a lot of ska and reggae heads here (myself included), just came across this:LONDON (UPI) - Laurel Aitken, the man known as Britain's "Godfather of Ska," has died of a heart attack in Leicester, England at age 78.London's Club Ska said Aitken, also known as "Boss Skinhead," died Sunday night at Glenfield Hospital, Punknews.org reported Tuesday.Aitken was born April 22, 1927, in Cuba and moved with his father to Jamaica in 1938.His first recording was the 1957 single "Roll Jordan Roll." His later cut the first ska record, "Little Sheila"/"Boogie in my Bones," which was also the first record released on Chris Blackwell's Island Records and the first Jamaican record released in Britain.Aitken moved to Britain where he became revered by the punk rock and ska movements.He appeared in the film "Absolute Beginners" with David Bowie in 1986 and continued touring with ska bands throughout the 1990s.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    One of the best live shows I have ever seen. Dude was already pushing 70 at that point, and had more energy than most of the punk bands I was always going to see.

The man was a creator and an innovator. Rest in peace, Boss Skinhead.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Whoa. Massive news.

Rest In Peace.

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    An awfully tragic loss...
    R.I.P Godfather.

"THE BLAZING FIRE WILL ALWAYS BURN"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Sad news, R.I.P.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    how many styles of JA music did this legend cover,
    that cd ish of his 78s a few years back was awesome
    r&b, mento, ska, rock steady & reggae,
    he must be the winner for riding all the styles up to ragga dh
    r i p

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    damn i was just listening to him yesterday... RIP

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

proper to the end.

this is a serious recording of his from the late 50's. grab it if you see it.

baba kill me goat / if it's money you need