Quentin’s on his way...

DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
i'm sure this has been addressed before but i was hoping the strutters would amuse me...my question is this: why do you think folks are on Tarantino's dick when its clear that he is 'sampling' from other movies? Tarantino's a genius but (insert favorite hiphop producer) is a rip-off artist? obviously, i've got my own theories, just curious about others takes on it.

Comments

• oh dear jihad, I thought someone was gonna say they had the pharcyde dude

"Quentins on his way" Single

utterly dissapointed

incidentally off topic i've heard a video exists for it as well

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    oh dear jihad, I thought someone was gonna say they had the pharcyde dude
    "Quentins on his way" Single

utterly dissapointed

I have it.

Jazzyfatnasteez kill it on the flip. For real for real.

Herm

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    i'm sure this has been addressed before but i was hoping the strutters would amuse me...
    my question is this: why do you think folks are on Tarantino's dick when its clear that he is 'sampling' from other movies? Tarantino's a genius but (insert favorite hiphop producer) is a rip-off artist? obviously, i've got my own theories, just curious about others takes on it.

There is an article about Tarantino borrowing scenes and making references to other movies in Wired this month, in their "mash-up" issue. They put it in the context of remixing (there are also articles about the Avalanches, Amphibians custom kicks, Gorillaz, and people who make custom golf carts and this really rad Delorean / Bronco monster truck car thing). I'm not a Tarantino fan so I didn't read it but you might find it interesting.

Oh and I have that Quentin single too. "I'm not an MC" is kind of dope.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    THERES NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN!. tarentino is the bomb.
    peace, stein. . .

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    The only problem I have with Tarantino's sampling/remixing/mashuping, is that it took him forever to admit that he was doing it. When Reservoir Dogs dropped people pulled his card, be he denied stealing from City on Fire for a while. It's not "sampling" if you steal an entire plot, along with numerous scenes shot for shot, and claim you wrote it.

On the other hand, he must be doing something right, because everyone loves him. I can't be mad at him for that.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i'm sure this has been addressed before but i was hoping the strutters would amuse me...
    my question is this: why do you think folks are on Tarantino's dick when its clear that he is 'sampling' from other movies? Tarantino's a genius but (insert favorite hiphop producer) is a rip-off artist? obviously, i've got my own theories, just curious about others takes on it.

There is an article about Tarantino borrowing scenes and making references to other movies in Wired this month, in their "mash-up" issue. They put it in the context of remixing (there are also articles about the Avalanches, Amphibians custom kicks, Gorillaz, and people who make custom golf carts and this really rad Delorean / Bronco monster truck car thing). I'm not a Tarantino fan so I didn't read it but you might find it interesting.

Oh and I have that Quentin single too. "I'm not an MC" is kind of dope.

good read that issue of Wired was

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    Tarantino's a genius

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Quentin's on his wayyy

Quentin's on his wayyy

Quentin's on his wayyy with another J and its oooooooooooooooooo-kayyyy.

What a track!!

Anyway..............

I dunno, Tarantino is a bit like us Strutters in a way.. paying homage to the old skool steez, but putting some new spin it too.

Jackie Brown was the BOMB, especially for all the Coffy-ness about it.

And his style of cinematography... its all good really.

• Tarantino's a genius

Double

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm not the biggest QT fan... But, even with the so called "rip off" stuff, I still think he's one of the most important directors of the last 15 years. There are very few original idea's out there. Most of everything is borrowed or the idea is taken from something else. Influences are everywhere. To me Tarantino has a bit of a knack of using these influences and making them his own. Plus, I do like how he brings back attention to actors/actresses that were forgotten or never got an once of respect.

Shit, nobody was talking about spaghetti westerns anymore... Until he brought out Kill Bill.

Not the greatest... But important all the same...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Jackie Brown was the BOMB, especially for all the Coffy-ness about it.
    It's the only I really liked.

I dunno, Tarantino is a bit like us Strutters in a way...
    he also has been known to use the n-word gratuitously, needlessly and in an attempt to be down.

i think he is over-rated. took amazing elements from blaxploitation, Hong Kong action, French New Wave and yakuza flicks and watered them down for the general public. cinema-lite.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    sorry to be such a disspointment...
    i'm not calling tarantino a genius...regardless, no ones answered the question, yet. why do you think its more socially acceptable for tarantino to 'sample' than a producer?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm not the biggest QT fan... But, even with the so called "rip off" stuff, I still think he's one of the most important directors of the last 15 years. There are very few original idea's out there. Most of everything is borrowed or the idea is taken from something else. Influences are everywhere. To me Tarantino has a bit of a knack of using these influences and making them his own. Plus, I do like how he brings back attention to actors/actresses that were forgotten or never got an once of respect.

Shit, nobody was talking about spaghetti westerns anymore... Until he brought out Kill Bill.

Not the greatest... But important all the same...

He is probably the best genre director around right now. What I like about him is what also drags his films down occasionally, which is the constant film references sometimes at the expense of the story. As a movie buff it is fun, but does not hold up as well under a second or third viewing. 'Jackie Brown', which was his most straightforward film, IMO, holds up best because he really focuses on the characters and the narrative. He takes the time to tell a good Elmore Leonard story, but with Tarantino dialogue, and I think it's easily his best film.

That said, Kill Bil 1+2 was his most fun flick to see in the theatre for me, but they lose impact the second time round because there is so little gravity to the proceedings. It's Tarantino's 'Big Trouble In Little China'.

sorry to be such a disspointment...
    i'm not calling tarantino a genius...regardless, no ones answered the question, yet. why do you think its more socially acceptable for tarantino to 'sample' than a producer?

let's see...Hip Hop/Rap music is arguabley the most successful music genre going right now, and much of the production relies on sampling or re-using musical ideas/riffs/grooves from the past, from all kinds of sources. Who is this group of people who find 'sampling' socially unacceptable? Seems like that's what's driving most everything these days.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Seems like that's what's driving most everything these days.

music, film, all[/b] art forms. yes theres innovators, but everyone has there influences...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    not to digress, but...
    with RZA producing most of the soundtracks for the two kill bill movies, i figured it'd be some ghost dog, dark shit, but it seemed like all he did was sample ennio morriconne's pretty common compositions... and every time some shit was about to go down, it was "murder rap" by above the law. his movies made me really happy back in the day, but after FOUR ROOMS...?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    his movies made me really happy back in the day, but after FOUR ROOMS...?

i liked four rooms. especially quen quens section. it was all just out there.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    they lose impact the second time round because there is so little gravity to the proceedings. It's Tarantino's 'Big Trouble In Little China'.

whoah there. = John Carpenter eats QT.

On the other hand, he must be doing something right, because everyone loves him. I can't be mad at him for that.

Really? Is this no reason to be mad at someone? Because everyone loves him?

they lose impact the second time round because there is so little gravity to the proceedings. It's Tarantino's 'Big Trouble In Little China'.

whoah there. = John Carpenter eats QT.

I love both 'BTILC' and John Carpenter, I just meant that QT was persuing his 'kung fu movie' w/Kill Bill in the same way that Carpenter was w/BTILC.
    In my opinion, Little China is a better story and a more fun film, but I think they both succeed in their goal. But they are both cartoons, not meant to be weighty films. Nuthin' wrong with that, but in Kill Bill's case things are so over the top that once you see it once, there is little to revisit.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the thing that irks me about Taratino is his recycling of old soundtracks....he uses tracks from "Truck Turner" and "Tough Guys" for example, when the guys who recorded that stuff are still around and capable of recording new stuff that is along the samelines. In fact the "Movement"(the band that recorded "tough guys" and "truck turner") just did the score for "Hustle and Flow"(for some reason the OST contains none of that music, just the rap tracks). Why reuse soundtrack music when the source is still out there? Willie Hall could use the work.

regardless, no ones answered the question, yet. why do you think its more socially acceptable for tarantino to 'sample' than a producer?

Maybe because this is a music-oriented board and a lot of the posters here don't recognize blatant movie rip-offs the same way they recognize blatant music rip-offs.

And is it really more socially acceptable for tarantino to 'sample' than a producer? It's only in places like soulstrut land that we condemn producers for over-sampling or not sampling creatively or respectfully. Keep in mind that most of the general public does find it acceptable for producers to rip-off tracks because much of the general public doesn't even recognize that it's happening.

And to the extent that even the general public accepts QT's rip-offs more readily than Puff Daddy's, it's because most people recognize Sting's "Every Breath You Take" when they hear it sampled (it was a huge commercial hit/not released that long ago) and they don't necesarilly recognize City on Fire when they see that ripped off.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I love John Carpenter older works... But to tell you the truth, nuthin' in the last while has been anywhere near his older stuff. I mean... Ghost of Mars is one of the worst films I've ever seen. What has he done in the last 10 years? Vampires, Escape from L.A., Village of the Damned... Don't get me wrong tho... He is a wicked director. Just not liking anything for the last while.

And BTILC has always been one of my fav films...

Speaking on Qt,

Did anyone like True Romance?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I love John Carpenter older works... But to tell you the truth, nuthin' in the last while has been anywhere near his older stuff. I mean... Ghost of Mars is one of the worst films I've ever seen. What has he done in the last 10 years? Vampires, Escape from L.A., Village of the Damned... Don't get me wrong tho... He is a wicked director. Just not liking anything for the last while.

Speaking on Qt,

John Carpenter is one of the few directors in history that remade a movie and it is better than the original...The Thing.

*I know, I know the famous "Scarface" is better than the OG, but it was considerably rewritten, but "The Thing" is almost a straight remake.

And to the extent that even the general public accepts QT's rip-offs more readily than Puff Daddy's, it's because most people recognize Sting's "Every Breath You Take" when they hear it sampled (it was a huge commercial hit/not released that long ago) and they don't necesarilly recognize City on Fire when they see that ripped off.

Maybe I am missing something, but the general public LOVES stuff like Puffy sampling 80s hits,etc, and hell, I love him completely lifting Jeff Lorber for shit like "Crush on You" or 'Between the Sheets' for "Big Poppa"!

Who are these people this thread is speaking of??!!??
    Sampling is loved and accepted and paid for allla the damn time!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

a little hokey - but that fight scene when Particia Arquette just won't stay down is pretty amazing and satisfying to watch.

Speaking on Qt,

John Carpenter is one of the few directors in history that remade a movie and it is better than the original...The Thing.

*I know, I know the famous "Scarface" is better than the OG, but it was considerably rewritten, but "The Thing" is almost a straight remake.

Naw,while I agree that Carpenter's is the superior flick,the OG and the remake are plenty different. The OG had women in it, completely different abilities of the alien,etc. All kinds of Red Scare subtext in Hawks' original film that Carpenter had no use for and completely tossed out. Nothing straight about that remake.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    In Jackie Brown, besides the soundtrack it was the little details, like the scene where Max Cherry is driving Jackie Brown home from jail and you see the gear selector move to Drive, then Jackie slides the window down and it cuts to a side-on view.... adds so much coolness to an otherwise boring scene.

Then theres the whole split screen thing immediately afterward.

I suppose the choice of music for the particular scene was well done too, like when Max Cherry struts out of those changing rooms with the bag to the sound of Ayres' Aragon - it was the most fitting sound ever.

QT is probably the most mainstream contemporary dude to make features of the insignificant nuances that take place in everyday scenes.

I haven't seen Kill Bill and I don't really rate Pulp Fiction either. Dusk Till Dawn was crap as I remember.

Maybe I am missing something, but the general public LOVES stuff like Puffy sampling 80s hits,etc, and hell, I love him completely lifting Jeff Lorber for shit like "Crush on You" or 'Between the Sheets' for "Big Poppa"!

Who are these people this thread is speaking of??!!??
    Sampling is loved and accepted and paid for allla the damn time!
    `

Tha`s what I`m saying - most fools do accept sampling, indeed jock sampling, I was just trying to come up with an example of when the average mass market non-soul strutter might have had a clue as to when a song is being blatantly ripped off. most people don`t even recognize it when it`s happening.

a little hokey - but that fight scene when Particia Arquette just won't stay down is pretty amazing and satisfying to watch.

But how can we forget Gary Oldman`s tour de force?

Or brad pitt's for that matter...?