The James Brown-Neil Young Connection

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Stray Gator bassist ('Harvest'), Tim Drummond, also played with James Brown's backing band the Dapps. According to the Neil Young biography 'Shakey', The Dapps may have taken they name from the sleeping pill Dapicetic. Even better Drummond got the Stray Gator name while hanging out with guitarist Jimmy Nolan watching Brown's band members staring at the sky while tripping on acid. "we'd say 'lookit him- he's looking at some gators, and her comes a stray".

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Stray Gator bassist ('Harvest'), Tim Drummond, also played with James Brown's backing band the Dapps. According to the Neil Young biography 'Shakey', The Dapps may have taken they name from the sleeping pill Dapicetic. Even better Drummond got the Stray Gator name while hanging out with guitarist Jimmy Nolan watching Brown's band members staring at the sky while tripping on acid. "we'd say 'lookit him- he's looking at some gators, and her comes a stray". b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b, 21 a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dap" target="_blank"1A more likely scenario for the naming of the Dapps.../a1

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Stray Gator bassist ('Harvest'), Tim Drummond, also played with James Brown's backing band the Dapps. According to the Neil Young biography 'Shakey', The Dapps may have taken they name from the sleeping pill Dapicetic. Even better Drummond got the Stray Gator name while hanging out with guitarist Jimmy Nolan watching Brown's band members staring at the sky while tripping on acid. "we'd say 'lookit him- he's looking at some gators, and her comes a stray". b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b, 21 a href="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dap" target="_blank"1A more likely scenario for the naming of the Dapps.../a1 b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121That's how I always thought of it too.

• Do you think that it is a coincidence that a Barack Obama ad is on the urban dictionary site for the term Dap? That is some targeted advertising!!!!! b,121b,121I am surprised another definition isn't Terrorist Fist Jab.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    probably common knowledge here, but Neil Young and Rick James had a band together in the mid-60s. Does any footage of this exist?b, 21b, 21read that neil young bio recently, loved about 600 pages or so. last 150 or so when author starts injecting himself into the narrative more were a lil much.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Does any footage of this exist?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Pretty common knowledge, there was a whole thread a ways back. Nope on the footage unfortunately, although there were unreleased recordings done for motown at the time.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Does any footage of this exist?b, 21 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Pretty common knowledge, there was a whole thread a ways back. Nope on the footage unfortunately, although there were allegedly unreleased recordings done for motown. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121i was a little disappointed in the NY bio that RJ didn't reappear after those initial years. I'd be interested to know how each felt about the other's career.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Does any footage of this exist?b,121 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121Pretty common knowledge, there was a whole thread a ways back. Nope on the footage unfortunately, although there were allegedly unreleased recordings done for motown. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121i was a little disappointed in the NY bio that RJ didn't reappear after those initial years. I'd be interested to know how each felt about the other's career. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I always wondered about that, too. As big a star as both men were, you think they would have re-crossed paths at some point to reminisce or something...I remember reading an interview where James admitted being bitter about the fact that it took him longer to make it than the other members of the Mynahs, so you'd think he would have reappeared in Neil's life just to say hey...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121I always wondered about that, too. As big a star as both men were, you think they would have re-crossed paths at some point to reminisce or something...I remember reading an interview where James admitted being bitter about the fact that it took him longer to make it than the other members of the Mynahs, so you'd think he would have reappeared in Neil's life just to say hey... b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121CSNY hired bassist Greg Reeves after Young bumped into Reeves and Rick James on Sunset (circa 1970). They had both just been fired from Ray Charles' studio group for rolling a doobie at a session. So I guess he saw Neil at least once after the Mynah Birds.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Does any footage of this exist? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121So far no, but with NY releasing his Archives[/b] box set in January (originally meant for next week, it has been pushed yet again, but better two months than two more decades), who knows what kind of hidden goodies he may reveal.b, 21img src="http://earcandy_mag.tripod.com/mynah-1.jpg"1b,121b,121I had read somewhere the Greg Reeves, the bassist who played on Deja Vu[/b], was a friend of Young's via James, and I guess one of the CSN guys (most likely Stills) had issues with James, since I think Young had wanted to bring him in (it might have been because Crosby and James shared some of the same drug and lady habits). So while we didn't get to hear from James for another few years, the connection had been there before anyone knew it. What amazes me is that Reeves lied about his age when he played the band, and revealed he was only 15 when he recorded, toured, and who knows what else with the band.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121They had both just been fired from Ray Charles' studio group for rolling a doobie at a session.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Which is funny, considering if you watch that Tom Dowd documentary, Charles is clearly smoking a joint. "Be sure to hide the roaches" indeed.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Does any footage of this exist? b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121So far no, but with NY releasing his Archives[/b] box set in January (originally meant for next week, it has been pushed yet again, but better two months than two more decades), who knows what kind of hidden goodies he may reveal.b, 21img src="http://earcandy_mag.tripod.com/mynah-1.jpg"1b,121b,121I had read somewhere the Greg Reeves, the bassist who played on Deja Vu[/b], was a friend of Young's via James, and I guess one of the CSN guys (most likely Stills) had issues with James, since I think Young had wanted to bring him in (it might have been because Crosby and James shared some of the same drug and lady habits). So while we didn't get to hear from James for another few years, the connection had been there before anyone knew it. What amazes me is that Reeves lied about his age when he played the band, and revealed he was only 15 when he recorded, toured, and who knows what else with the band. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121If I remember correctly from the NY bio (I just finished it, but 800 pages is a lot to retain), Young was very down with Reeves, both his personality and his playing. It probably was Stills who had issues, although probably not because of sharing Crosby's drug habits; at that point (again, if memory serves), Stills and Crosby were indulging equally, neither were full-blown addicts, and if anything Still's usage was more out-of-control. But Stills was so competetive with Young that he probably opposed any of Young's allies in the band. b, 21b, 21If I learned one lesson from SHAKEY, it's that those ARCHIVES probably won't come out in January.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121If I learned one lesson from SHAKEY, it's that those ARCHIVES probably won't come out in January. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It has been pushed to January 27, 2009, with an Amazon price of $301.99, and this is the Blu-Ray version. Originally it was going to be just Blu-Ray, but I had read that the reason for the delay was to be able to release it as standard red book CD's. At least the Sugar Mountain 1968 show will be released at the end of November, which is NOT going to be on the Archives[/b] box.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    There is no way in hell I would pay up front for Archives. I've been waiting since '91 for this shit. Seeing is believing. The real deal will be all of the Indigo sessions outtakes from 75-77. He rented the studio every full moon for 2 years or something. Bonkers.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121There is no way in hell I would pay up front for Archives. I've been waiting since '91 for this shit. Seeing is believing. The real deal will be all of the Indigo sessions outtakes from 75-77. He rented the studio every full moon for 2 years or something. Bonkers. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I'm sure fans would be happy if his albums were done in the same way Capitol did b1The Pet Sounds Sessions[/b], where you get a full album, perhaps a version of the album in a different mix, plus all of the unedited reels, outtakes, alternate takes, etc. Fortunately a good portion of unreleased NY is widely available on bootlegs, and yet if he released super deluxe editions of his albums, they would still do very well.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121They had both just been fired from Ray Charles' studio group for rolling a doobie at a session.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Which is funny, considering if you watch that Tom Dowd documentary, Charles is clearly smoking a joint. "Be sure to hide the roaches" indeed. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121yeah, but we're talking about a session.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121They had both just been fired from Ray Charles' studio group for rolling a doobie at a session.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Which is funny, considering if you watch that Tom Dowd documentary, Charles is clearly smoking a joint. "Be sure to hide the roaches" indeed. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121yeah, but we're talking about a session. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I think it was the manager who caught them not Ray.