That pesky rez from plastic lined inner sleeves

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I guess everyone knows what I'm talking about.b,121b,121Records that have been kept in plastic lined inner bags for years start to gradually assimilate the plastic, creating a matte film on the surface of the vinyl. Makes the record look grey and dull and creates a permeating background noise that is usually bearable but still an annoying earsore.b,121b,121Is there any way to recover such a record to its original state?b, 21I have a couple that suffer from this plastic symbiosis.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Blue Note used a plastic inner in the 70s that does this. I rarely see this problem on non-BlueNotes. b,121b, 21Most times I hear no noise associated with the discoloration. b,121b, 21Plastic inner sleeves must die. b,121b, 21A more common problem is a piece of grit getting on the record. The plastic sleeve assures that the grit will be ground into vinyl, causing scratches. Epidemic in British imports. b,121b, 21Usually cleaning with my nitty gritty improves the appearence and sound of plastic discolored records.