Oregon peeps - what's up with your voting?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
a href="http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/in-oregon-turnout-is-down-but.html" target="_blank"1http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/in-oregon-turnout-is-down-but.htmlb,121b, 21I also didn't realize you guys all vote by mail. So how does that work? Everyone gets sent a ballot?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121a href="http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/in-oregon-turnout-is-down-but.html" target="_blank"1http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/in-oregon-turnout-is-down-but.htmlb,121b, 21I also didn't realize you guys all vote by mail. So how does that work? Everyone gets sent a ballot? b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121We are all mailed a ballot. They went in the mail on the 14th. b,121b, 21If your ballot can not be mailed, or is lost in the mail, you can go to county elections and vote a provisional ballot. b,121b, 21In Multnomah county we use optical scan ballots, fill in the bubble like a standardized test. b,121b, 21Ballots can be mailed back, but must be RECEIVED by Nov 4th. b,121b, 21You can also drop your ballot off at a local library, election office or other drop site. Campaigns will also collect ballots for you. b,121b, 21I will not mail in my ballot. I consider the stamp an unconstitutional poll tax. b,121b, 21I typically wait until Nov 4th to vote and take my ballot to elections. b,121b, 21This year I voted within days of receiving the ballot. b,121b, 21Campaigns get a list every morning from the secretary of state letting them know who has (or more importantly hasn't) voted yet. Then they hound supporters who have not voted to get their ballots in. Makes for a very efficient GOTV. b,121b, 21I initially voted against vote by mail. I like the civic unity that comes from everyone going to their precinct polling spot and voting on the same day. b,121b, 21Vote by mail has proven to be very successful. We have lots of ballot measures every time around. You can sit down at the proverbial kitchen table and go over the voting pamphlet and read every initiative, study the soil conservation board candidates and take your time and do it right. Turn out is up. Problems are few and far between. b,121b, 21Optical scan is the most accurate (next to hand counting) voting method and should be the national standard. b,121b, 21More info than you wanted?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Nope, that was great. Appreciate the breakdown.b,121b,121So how come the liberal parts of OR aren't turning out?

I'm surprised to see turnout is down. Obama has 16 field offices here with a serious GOTV effort. b,121b, 21My guess is liberals are voting in the same numbers, and conservatives are not voting. b,121b, 21It looks like the more liberal areas are voting in higher #s the conservative areas, but turn out is way down over 4 years ago. b,121b, 21538 suggests that it is because 4 years ago we were a swing state with multiple visits from the candidates, and this year we are being ignored. b,121b, 21Also the non-Stop negative Merkley/Smith Sizemore/Unions and Erickson/Whatshisname ads have people turned off. b,121b, 21Also 4 years ago the ballot initiatives energized a lot of people. This year they are just confusing. b,121b, 21The Republicans have succeeded in suppressing the Republican vote I think. I hope it is a national trend.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21b, 21Also the non-Stop negative Merkley/Smith b,121b, 21b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121This has been non-stop comedy since the day I arrived.b,121b,121I voted by mail via Nevada this year becuase I figured my vote was more important there than here.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Nope, that was great. Appreciate the breakdown.b,121b,121So how come the liberal parts of OR aren't turning out? b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I am a registered Democrat and just turned my ballot in yesterday. The national ticket was easy as was most of the state level stuff. I spent more time on the initiatives and the way down ballot folks (mostly non-partisan county and judicial races).b,121b,121On a side note, I will say that I voted for a Republican for the first time since the early 90s on the state level, he was clearly the superior choice this time around.b,121b,121Undecideds/Democrats:b,121I will bet that a lot of these folks are waiting to mail or drop off their ballot because some are still sweating some of the down ballot candidates and initiatives. The Merkley/Smith race has been really slimy on both sides and that makes people unsure who to vote for in that race.b,121b,121Metro-Area Republicans:b,121Having visited the local Portland McCain office (I went to get lawn signs for an elderly neighbor who's previous signs had been defaced) and the Republican energy and volunteer effort was super low. Poor Kelly (the woman in charge of the office) tried to get me to phone bank for them. I saw only one elderly lady was manning the phones while I was there.b,121b,121I expect that Republican turnout will be low this year in Oregon. We don't have a anti-gay initiative to drive the base to the polls. Not many Republicans I know are jazzed about McCain and quite a few have said the Palin VP pick will make them sit this one out or vote Obama.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21b, 21On a side note, I will say that I voted for a Republican for the first time since the early 90s on the state level, he was clearly the superior choice this time around.b,121 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What f*cking Republican are you voting for? b,121b, 21b,121/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21Undecideds/Democrats:b,121I will bet that a lot of these folks are waiting to mail or drop off their ballot because some are still sweating some of the down ballot candidates and initiatives. b,121 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121 b,121This is what's up with me and the Mrs. Fritz or Lewis? I met Fritz. She's nice but a little stupid/socially awkward. We're going to fill out the ballots tonight.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b, 21b, 21On a side note, I will say that I voted for a Republican for the first time since the early 90s on the state level, he was clearly the superior choice this time around.b,121 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What f*cking Republican are you voting for? b,121b, 21b,121h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Try State Treasure little bro. Oregon is going to need someone with a deep resume and I am sorry but our Dem candidate came up short this time. It happens. Deal.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Since everything has been explained, I'd like to take a moment to say that Gordan Smith is a smug, conniving, greedy, sociopathic scumbag.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121On a side note, I will say that I voted for a Republican for the first time since the early 90s on the state level, he was clearly the superior choice this time around.b,121 b,121b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121What f*cking Republican are you voting for? b,121b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Try State Treasure little bro. Oregon is going to need someone with a deep resume and I am sorry but our Dem candidate came up short this time. It happens. Deal. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121GTFOOHWTBS, Westlund is cool. You need to stop reading the voter pamphlet and shit. I'll see tomorrow at the office. We need to discuss the project costs in further detail.

• Just finished my ballot, and I will turn it in at an official drop off spot instead of mailing since we are so close to the election. It was really an easy year for voting, most ballot measures were easy to decide upon. b, 21 This year there was only one that I had trouble with, Measure 57. I am curious as to how other Oregon strutteurs felt about this one. I personally am opposed to mandatory minimum sentences, I would prefer to give judges more say in sentencing. But I understood that measure 57 was an alternative to a far more draconian minimum sentencing measure (61), and by passing 57 we could be sure that 61 would not stand even if passed. So I reluctantly voted for 57, but now I kind of regret it.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Since everything has been explained, I'd like to take a moment to say that Gordan Smith is a smug, conniving, greedy, sociopathic scumbag. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121He's no Ron Wyden.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Just finished my ballot, and I will turn it in at an official drop off spot instead of mailing since we are so close to the election. It was really an easy year for voting, most ballot measures were easy to decide upon. b, 21 This year there was only one that I had trouble with, Measure 57. I am curious as to how other Oregon strutteurs felt about this one. I personally am opposed to mandatory minimum sentences, I would prefer to give judges more say in sentencing. But I understood that measure 57 was an alternative to a far more draconian minimum sentencing measure (61), and by passing 57 we could be sure that 61 would not stand even if passed. So I reluctantly voted for 57, but now I kind of regret it. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. I voted yes on the good one and no on the bad one, but like you I resent having to do it that way. b, 21b, 21I voted no on the top 2 elections thingy. Did some people vote yes?

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Since everything has been explained, I'd like to take a moment to say that Gordan Smith is a smug, conniving, greedy, sociopathic scumbag. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121He's no Ron Wyden. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Ron Wyden was just a flaccid weenie.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121Just finished my ballot, and I will turn it in at an official drop off spot instead of mailing since we are so close to the election. It was really an easy year for voting, most ballot measures were easy to decide upon. b, 21 This year there was only one that I had trouble with, Measure 57. I am curious as to how other Oregon strutteurs felt about this one. I personally am opposed to mandatory minimum sentences, I would prefer to give judges more say in sentencing. But I understood that measure 57 was an alternative to a far more draconian minimum sentencing measure (61), and by passing 57 we could be sure that 61 would not stand even if passed. So I reluctantly voted for 57, but now I kind of regret it. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. I voted yes on the good one and no on the bad one, but like you I resent having to do it that way. b, 21b, 21I voted no on the top 2 elections thingy. Did some people vote yes? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I voted no as well. I felt that it would marginalize third party candidates even more because inevitably only democrats and repubs would make it to the top two. I am however intrigued by the idea of having open party nominations, and its interesting to me that some states have closed party nominations and others open.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121SNIP>b, 21 This year there was only one that I had trouble with, Measure 57. I am curious as to how other Oregon strutteurs felt about this one. I personally am opposed to mandatory minimum sentences, I would prefer to give judges more say in sentencing. But I understood that measure 57 was an alternative to a far more draconian minimum sentencing measure (61), and by passing 57 we could be sure that 61 would not stand even if passed. So I reluctantly voted for 57, but now I kind of regret it. b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah. I voted yes on the good one and no on the bad one, but like you I resent having to do it that way. b, 21b, 21I voted no on the top 2 elections thingy. Did some people vote yes? b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I felt that both measure 57 & 61 sucked. I understand why the legislature put 57 on the ballot to draw votes away from 61 which sucks worse. So, I voted no on both. My worry is both will pass which is the worst of all worlds.b,121b,121Basically the only measures I voted yes on were 54-56. Everything else was a definite no. Any measure that has Bill Sizemore's name on it is dead to me. He is a cancer on the body politic of Oregon.b,121b,121Sizemore = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" /1

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I voted for better cages at the zoo. The only upside to the mandatory minimums was the required drug treatment provision. I vote against the top two measure as well. The one I am really stuck on is the permitting one. I f*cking hate the permit bureau but this is probably not the best way to deal with that problem. Fritz or Lewis? I went with Lewis because I like what he has done with Ethos. In any case it's hard to tell which would be a good administrator.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,121b,121Sizemore = img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bucs.gif" alt="" /1 b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" /1 X 1 bazillion

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121The one I am really stuck on is the permitting one. I f*cking hate the permit bureau but this is probably not the best way to deal with that problem.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Although I haven't yet had to apply for permits to do anything to my house, I have heard that getting permits can be frustrating and expensive. That said, this measure seems to be a stab at removing public oversight of housing safety. The most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is the use of an arbitrary dollar amount as the threshold under which permits would not be needed. So the cheaper the materials and labor one uses on a project, the less likely there would be a need for a permit. Oh wait, the most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is that its a Sizemore measure. 'Nuff said.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The one I am really stuck on is the permitting one. I f*cking hate the permit bureau but this is probably not the best way to deal with that problem.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Although I haven't yet had to apply for permits to do anything to my house, I have heard that getting permits can be frustrating and expensive. That said, this measure seems to be a stab at removing public oversight of housing safety. The most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is the use of an arbitrary dollar amount as the threshold under which permits would not be needed. So the cheaper the materials and labor one uses on a project, the less likely there would be a need for a permit. Oh wait, the most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is that its a Sizemore measure. 'Nuff said. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Look I admit my issues with the bureau of buildings shouldn't come into play but the run around I got this summer was just mind boggling. Why do I need a vent fan in my kid's basement playroom? Because the pre-existing windows are too small. Things seem to have gone pretty well for the 80 other f*cking years that it has been in use. Logic is not in operation down there.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The one I am really stuck on is the permitting one. I f*cking hate the permit bureau but this is probably not the best way to deal with that problem.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Although I haven't yet had to apply for permits to do anything to my house, I have heard that getting permits can be frustrating and expensive. That said, this measure seems to be a stab at removing public oversight of housing safety. The most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is the use of an arbitrary dollar amount as the threshold under which permits would not be needed. So the cheaper the materials and labor one uses on a project, the less likely there would be a need for a permit. Oh wait, the most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is that its a Sizemore measure. 'Nuff said. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Look I admit my issues with the bureau of buildings shouldn't come into play but the run around I got this summer was just mind boggling. Why do I need a vent fan in my kid's basement playroom? Because the pre-existing windows are too small. Things seem to have gone pretty well for the 80 other f*cking years that it has been in use. Logic is not in operation down there. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121You are stuck on a Bill Sizemore initiative? GTFOOHWTBS. I don't care how much BS the Permit Bureau put us through this summer, I will disown your ass if you vote yes on any of his crap. You have lost all rights to talk smack to me about my vote for State Treasurer.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121The one I am really stuck on is the permitting one. I f*cking hate the permit bureau but this is probably not the best way to deal with that problem.b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Although I haven't yet had to apply for permits to do anything to my house, I have heard that getting permits can be frustrating and expensive. That said, this measure seems to be a stab at removing public oversight of housing safety. The most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is the use of an arbitrary dollar amount as the threshold under which permits would not be needed. So the cheaper the materials and labor one uses on a project, the less likely there would be a need for a permit. Oh wait, the most glaring sign that this is not a well thought out ballot measure is that its a Sizemore measure. 'Nuff said. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121Look I admit my issues with the bureau of buildings shouldn't come into play but the run around I got this summer was just mind boggling. Why do I need a vent fan in my kid's basement playroom? Because the pre-existing windows are too small. Things seem to have gone pretty well for the 80 other f*cking years that it has been in use. Logic is not in operation down there. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121You are stuck on a Bill Sizemore initiative? GTFOOHWTBS. I don't care how much BS the Permit Bureau put us through this summer, I will disown your ass if you vote yes on any of his crap. You have lost all rights to talk smack to me about my vote for State Treasurer. b, 21b, 21h,121font class="post"1b,121b,121I have already disowned you silly ass, foolio. Plus, I vote against the measure (albeit with some trepidation).

Wu, what about how many shady contractors there are out there. Someone hires them to do work, "But keep it under $35,000, OK?" So the contractor uses shoddy materials and does a slap-dash job. If it's not done with permits, can the homeowner still hold the contractor responsible if something goes wrong down the road, like faulty wiring setting the house on fire?b,121b,121The permit process is ridiculous, I've heard little but horror stories about it. But clearly doing away with it altogether, even if for a small job, isn't the answer. b, 21b, 21Also, everything I said about Gordon Smith goes double for Bill Sizemore.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The problem with the agency as it is structured now is that it only serves a regulatory function. The real solution to the problem is to revamp the permits office as a (mandatory) resource center that developers/remodelers would use to get things done efficiently and to code. It would still safeguard the public but offer more value. I'd be happy to pay for that kind service. Also, why don't the inspectors have access to the guys at the bureau when they are doing their inspections? It's maddening that they can tell you you need more ventilation because of new code requirements when you were told exactly opposite downtown when you pulled the permit. Cell phones/laptops are a wonderful thing, they should use them.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121 Why do I need a vent fan in my kid's basement playroom? b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Radon gas? You live just down hill from the highest radon gas levels in the city. b,121b,121You should thank them for letting you turn a basement room with no exit to the outdoors as the primary place for your children to play. Have you even thought about the fire safety issues involved in turning a windowless dungeon into your kids playroom. (I know you have already thought about all these things and are not a fool. But get real, most people are fools, and most who are not will act foolish if it means saving money.)b,121b,121Your beef is with the City or Portland's bureau permitting process. There is no doubt that the city's process is complex. Even more so there are a handful of assholes working there who go out of their way to make peoples lives miserable and who are unbelievable rude to boot. b, 21b, 21Sizemore's measure would not only impact the city's rules, but eliminate the most basic state building codes. b, 21b, 21Did you hear Sizemore and the firefighter on Think Out Loud the other night? The firefighter was talking about how in the late 70s woodstoves were nearly outlawed by the state because they caused so many fires and deaths. Instead it was determined that the stoves were not at fault but poor installation and venting. So stoves were coded and permitted. Stove installation cost less than Sizemore's measures so the code would be moot. b, 21b, 21He was also talking about how now when they go into a burning building they can make assumptions. Like that each room is properly sheetrocked to contain the fire. Assumptions like that would be out if this stupid thing passes. b, 21b, 21Anyway, I'm sure you understand all that and are just frustrated by the city's poor permitting process.

Every time we went downtown, or an inspector came to our place the first thing they would say is "This should be under commercial not residential". b, 21b, 21We would reply that they need to change our zoning first. b, 21b, 21Then we would proceed with residential. Happened every time at every step.