nba coaching madness?!?!?

bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
anybody following this?the old:phil to the lakersthe unfortunate:pound for pound is booted outta detroitthe crazy:pat rilley from the top office to miami's court?discuss

Comments

• anybody following this?

the old:

phil to the lakers

the unfortunate:

pound for pound is booted outta detroit

the crazy:

pat rilley from the top office to miami's court?

i dont think riley will nix van gundy in order to head coach the heat. he would piss alot of people off. i think that shaq being one of them. he has an old school approach to people the way business is done. why all of a sudden does dude want to coach? cause they have a hugely potential team that could win consecutive banners? if so that is chopped and screwed.

phil could be good for the lakers but still not the key to their winning. the trade last week for kwame brown was interesting. that coupled with their 1st round draft and lamar odom could be a killer combo in a few years.

discuss

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'll take Flip Saunders.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I'll take Flip Saunders.

year of the darko

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Riley said in a televised interview "that he would leave his job, if he removed van gundy so he could coach the team". IMO I really don't think alot of Miami fans would care...Most of them couldn't name one player on the heat before shaq showed up. Me on the otherhand would be VERY pissed! Van Gundy has done alot for that team in 2 years!

• Riley said in a televised interview "that he would leave his job, if he removed van gundy so he could coach the team". IMO I really don't think alot of Miami fans would care...Most of them couldn't name one player on the heat before shaq showed up. Me on the otherhand would be VERY pissed! Van Gundy has done alot for that team in 2 years!

i completely agree. and think that riley has done a great front office job. i think real folks know this and still would be pissed. i think it is straight bitch move.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    the old:

phil to the lakers

only time will tell with this, but giving up Caron Butler was a BAD MOVE.

• coaching kobe, kwame and andrew bynum is going to shave a few years off phil jackson's life. lakers are taking many risks right now that could either pay off huge or make ownership/management look like geniuses.

larry brown in new york? i don't know. i'm not a huge fan. i feel like he gets too much credit when things go right and doesn't shoulder enough of the blame when things go wrong (read: olympics). what he put the pistons through this year was straight up unprofessional and unethical and i thought he did joe dumars and the pistons fans wrong. i guess i'll take him though, just for the defensive schemes.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i think the real burning question is what are the Bucks gonna do without him?

they fire terry and we get bogut as a #1 pick?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    coaching kobe, kwame and andrew bynum is going to shave a few years off phil jackson's life. lakers are taking many risks right now that could either pay off huge or make ownership/management look like geniuses.

larry brown in new york? i don't know. i'm not a huge fan. i feel like he gets too much credit when things go right and doesn't shoulder enough of the blame when things go wrong (read: olympics). what he put the pistons through this year was straight up unprofessional and unethical and i thought he did joe dumars and the pistons fans wrong. i guess i'll take him though, just for the defensive schemes.

Phil Jackson is the most over-rated coach in NBA history. I mean he's been given teams with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, and of course Shaq. I mean if you don't win some championships with teams made up of some of the greatest athletes the play the game then your just plain wack. Phil has never had to coach a lackluster team and next year is gonna be his first crack at it. I hope Phil falls flat on his face and gets called out finally for being nothng more than a mediocre coach.

Larry Brown however took a semi-good pistons team and turned them around, and I'll never forget that accomplished the greatest feat in NBA history, taking the clippers to the playoffs. Larry can safely retire now if he wanted to and be remembered as a great for serving a lifetime as a basketball coach and being successful time and time again. If he goes to the Knicks though I know they'll have a much better season then they did Herb (Williams).

Pat Riley was my God in the 80's and when he went to NY I instantly became a Knicks fan, when he pulled up stakes again my love went with him to Florida. I wanna see dude coach again and give Shaq what most likely will be his last chance to win another championship.

• guzzo - no offense, but that's a pretty simplistic way of looking at phil's coaching history. there's no debate that he inherited more talent than any other coach in the history of the nba, but his legacy will be as a coach who made great players legends. recall that shaq actually had a bad reputation before phil started coaching him as a player whose teams had a knack for getting swept out of the playoffs, and he couldn't contend with david robinson, olajuwon, ewing, et al. jordan, of course, was always part of contending teams but never dominated until phil took over. and even without jordan the bulls won 55 games. not bad.

brown has a long history of making mediocre teams good/better, but the pistons were already very, very good when he came along, and it's no secret that it was the rasheed trade that made them finals material. they didn't even really turn it on that season until the team had some time to come together with 'sheed. my main concern if brown comes to NY, though, is how much PT he'll give the young guys

• jaybreeziejaybreezie 161 Posts
    Mr. Sonic is not a Sonic anymore?

That's madness!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    coaching kobe, kwame and andrew bynum is going to shave a few years off phil jackson's life. lakers are taking many risks right now that could either pay off huge or make ownership/management look like geniuses.

It is a VERY good gig for Phil though.

If he can take next year's team to the 2nd round of the playoffs, he will be the greatest coach in nba history.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Mr. Sonic is not a Sonic anymore?

That's madness!
    Sucks!