standing in the shadows of mowtown (almost rr)

spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
standing in the shadows of mowtown[/b] i just watched this documentary last weekend. the story of the funk brothers.here is the plot summary from imdb: In 1959, Berry Gordy Jr. gathered the best musicians from Detroit's thriving jazz and blues scene to begin cutting songs for his new record company. Over a fourteen year period they were the heartbeat on every hit from Motown's Detroit era. By the end of their phenomenal run, this unheralded group of musicians had played on more number ones hits than the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones, Elvis and the Beatles combined - which makes them the greatest hit machine in the history of popular music. They called themselves the Funk Brothers. Forty-one years after they played their first note on a Motown record and three decades since they were all together, the Funk Brothers reunited back in Detroit to play their music and tell their unforgettable story, with the help of archival footage, still photos, narration, interviews, re-creation scenes, 20 Motown master tracks, and twelve new live performances of Motown classics with the Brothers backing up contemporary performers. i thought the documentary was brilliant. kind of the buena vista social club story of mowtown. the documentary told the story of the band, the individuals, a little of the label and the peroid as well as contained live footage of the funk brothers reunion shows, with artists like me'shell ndeg??ocello, ben harper, bootsy collins, joan osborne, and one other dude. it was cool to see them playing live though i wasnt really feeling any of the singers versions of the songs. i thought the band's stories were very well told.did anybody else see this? i couldn't find a related post on the board.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

did anybody else see this? i couldn't find a related post on the board.

That's because it came out at least a couple of years ago. I saw it and I enjoyed it.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    yeah it came out in 2002. i searched the whole archive and couldn't find anything. but maybe it doesn't go all the way back. figured since somebody mentioned "they call me bruce" in another thread; talking a two year old movie wouldnt be a complete little dude move.

I don't think the archives go back very far. I've searched for threads from this year that aren't there anymore.

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    loved it, own it...
    just a little disappointed in the celebrity (and i use that word very loosely) performances. coulda left those out all together.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Just added it to my netflix queue.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

That's because it came out at least a couple of years ago. I saw it and I enjoyed it.

We had a long thread. Back in those days long was 2 pages. I remember I was the only one who liked all the singers.

Dan

We had a long thread. Back in those days long was 2 pages. I remember I was the only one who liked all the singers.

Dan

Was it you me and Asprin who saw it together? I can't remember now.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Mowtown? LOL

Dan

Was it you me and Asprin who saw it together? I can't remember now.

I know Ms Wolf was with me, I can't remember who else.

Dan

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    The Funk Brothers will be performing this Sunday at Stern Grove in San Francisco, part of the city's FREE concert series.

My girl and I are getting there early to try and hold down some picnic space; if anyone is interested in hanging out, snacking, and drinking before the music, holler...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    yeah, Twoply, Dan, Asp and Dan's Hommie... or maybe that was "Scratch" ...

yeah, Twoply, Dan, Asp and Dan's Hommie... or maybe that was "Scratch" ...

I think Scratch was the one I saw with you, Bam and my friend Butler.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    If you liked Standing In The Shadows, you should also see Only The Strong Survive, I thought it was very good.

you should also see Only The Strong Survive, I thought it was very good.

I thought some of the performances were great. The interviewer/filmaker was terrible. The artists had no relation to each other, and he had no idea what to ask.

Dan

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    i thought the parts where they interviewed the "star" artists and the funk brothers together could have been left out too. watching me'shell or ben harper try to ask them questions or talk about them seemed like a stretch.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    loved it, own it...
    just a little disappointed in the celebrity (and i use that word very loosely) performances. coulda left those out all together.

Couldnt they just have gotten Martha & The damn Vandellas to sing Heatwave with the funk brothers?!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    standing in the shadows =

only the strong survive =

• snosno 332 Posts
    I remember looking at the end credit sequence and scratching my head over the writer of the book, one Alan "Dr Licks" Slutsky...I was going, "Oh, so he's the guy who did all those Yngwie Malmsteen guitar transcriptions back in the days." (Granted, he also put out a few funk/soul/rnb rhythm guitar style books).

As for Only the Strong Survive, could someone please tell me if the intervewer is one of the directors of the film? I would find it hard to believe that the embarassingly fanboy-like behaviour of the interviewer is the same guy who directed "The War Room" or "Startup.com".

As for Only the Strong Survive, could someone please tell me if the intervewer is one of the directors of the film? I would find it hard to believe that the embarassingly fanboy-like behaviour of the interviewer is the same guy who directed "The War Room" or "Startup.com".

I was under the impression that Fanboy was the director. I think this is a case of a talented well meaning director making a misguided fanboy movie as a labor of love. I can't belive that some people think this is hardasF.

Dan

i thought the parts where they interviewed the "star" artists and the funk brothers together could have been left out too. watching me'shell or ben harper try to ask them questions or talk about them seemed like a stretch.

Agreed.

If you are responding to my comments on the interviews I was refering to Only The Strong Survive. The Shadows was overall very good.

Dan