What's up with Guinness label?

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I only have one of this, and it looks like a bootleg. I mean, no liners notes, no nothing. Were all they releases like this?Thanks!

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Hmmm, my only Guiness record had a regular cover (no liner notes though) and a well designed label on the vinyl. Looked like budget label pressing without huge liner notes or an actual line-up of all musicians. The label had the composers' names on it. Nothing special. Did not look like a bootleg.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    this topic gets recycled every year or so. Guiness was setup by some NY dude to evade taxes. The real artists on alot of em may not even be the real dudes, and the label runs the gamut of High School schleck to hard funk to vocal jazz and shitty country rock.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    this topic gets recycled every year or so. Guiness was setup by some NY dude to evade taxes. The real artists on alot of em may not even be the real dudes, and the label runs the gamut of High School schleck to hard funk to vocal jazz and shitty country rock.

oh, sorry, i might have cunfused that label with another?!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Some releases are semi-bootleg in that the artists were unaware of their release - demo tapes just getting pressed up to intentionally not be sold and/or get destroyed

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Hmmm, my only Guiness record had a regular cover (no liner notes though) and a well designed label on the vinyl. Looked like budget label pressing without huge liner notes or an actual line-up of all musicians. The label had the composers' names on it. Nothing special. Did not look like a bootleg.

That's exactly the look of mine. By the way, it's Carlos Franzetti "Graffiti". Latin jazz/disco/funky thing. According to popsike it must be raer.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    By the way, it's Carlos Franzetti "Graffiti". Latin jazz/disco/funky thing. According to popsike it must be raer.

yes, and yes it is raer, other raerities on the label include the Newban albums and the Ben E King (anyone ever heard this?)

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Carlos Franzetti "Graffiti". Latin jazz/disco/funky thing. According to popsike it must be raer.

I bought mine for $4, a friend kept it at his house for a few months during which time a UK dealer offered him $100 for it, I've seen it on bigtime collector wantlists, and seen it on eBay with a $100 minimum bid. It's gotta be a $150+ record.

It sucks though.

So I traded it to some German guy for the BLACULA soundtrack which is worth only about $50-$80, and haven't regretted it since.

BTW I know DigDug has a copy too, so I'm wondering - is GRAFFITTI really that raer?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    It sucks though.

Yes, it sucks, but it has it's funky moments. I'll keep my copy because Franzetti is also argentinian, and I have this nerdy goal to have every argie jazz record ever pressed.

I can tell you: it is raer down here.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    By the way, it's Carlos Franzetti "Graffiti". Latin jazz/disco/funky thing. According to popsike it must be raer.

yes, and yes it is raer, other raerities on the label include the Newban albums and the Ben E King (anyone ever heard this?)

I've had the Ben E King, it's pants.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    From what I understand, almost all of the releases on this label are from demos that were solicited to majors but never released. Many (most) were issued without the artist/band's knowledge. I've found a number of these while hunting around, so they must have had at least minor distribution (maybe straight to the cut-out bins). Many actually have pretty cool front cover art, though pretty plain back cover designs. The same people who did this label also did another called Dellwood (same packaging style).

Here's a link to a Guiness label discography:

http://gravediggervideo.com/guinness.html

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    http://www.geocities.jp/tfgroove/tfsroom.htm

photos of guiness lp's found here. also if you go back to the homepage another scan area has mad guiness.

tax shelter records.

I have Jasmine and Love People?? on Guinesss.. both are flame

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Carlos Franzetti "Graffiti". Latin jazz/disco/funky thing. According to popsike it must be raer.

I bought mine for $4, a friend kept it at his house for a few months during which time a UK dealer offered him $100 for it, I've seen it on bigtime collector wantlists, and seen it on eBay with a $100 minimum bid. It's gotta be a $150+ record.

It sucks though.

So I traded it to some German guy for the BLACULA soundtrack which is worth only about $50-$80, and haven't regretted it since.

BTW I know DigDug has a copy too, so I'm wondering - is GRAFFITTI really that raer?

dude you traded a $200+ record for a $20 record?!?!?!?! OUCh!

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    blacula is probably much better than graffiti. but then again graffiti has the sick fara faucett cut n' paste artwork with graffiti drips on her shit. that is tight.

my homie in chicago would chicago style you for that record.

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    also the drummer in newban went on to form atlantic starr, in case anyone cares.

the newban 2 has to be the best record on this label, although i haven't heard all the fire ones yet. like mad cliff. what is that one like ?

dave

I heard the Formula IIV or whatever before and that is also firaawwwwwwwwww

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    formula 1. i got a copy right now for sale. it's not really the greatest thing in the world. nice drum break a couple funky disco cuts.

thats not the one Im thinkin of then. Maybe it had ghost in the title?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    blacula is probably much better than graffiti. but then again graffiti has the sick fara faucett cut n' paste artwork with graffiti drips on her shit. that is tight.

Seems to me they are equally rare. So the difference in value is likely to balance out over time.

Dan

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Seems to me they are equally rare. So the difference in value is likely to balance out over time.

Dan

if that popsike hit is any indication there is a HUGE gulf in prices there, but I have no doubt blacula is a far better record so thats not neccessarily a bad trade

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    but dude, maybe musically it isnt a bad trade but you the values are too different. coulda traded that graffiti for somethin raer AND good like "Is It Because Im Black" or somethin

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts
    I just wonder which one have been reissued (US or JAP) with the original label?

I know about:
    Newban (jap & us)
    Newban 2 (jap & us)
    James Conwell (jap)

any more?

I just wondered because I recently got a Jasmine for cheap with and (old) white inside cover.
    It looks different than all my other Guinness which have a (old) brown cover.
    And the Japanese reissues have a thick (new) white cover.
    Has anybody got a copy of Jasmine that looks like mine? I wonder if it is an original - it looks like a boot.