Killed The MP3 Before You Got The LP

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Day brought this up in another thread recently and it's something I've noticed on my end recently as well.

I just started listening to "Rubaiyat" on mp3 this morning and realized how dangerously close I am to just stashing the LP if and when it comes my way. Did the same thing with "Osmium," although that's more of a mood record for me than one I played out pre-LP.

And for the most part, I'm pretty much against mp3ing my records and listening to them all day at work because I enjoy coming home to play them too much.

Anybody else experience this? What did/do you do about it?

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

And for the most part, I'm pretty much against mp3ing my records and listening to them all day at work because I enjoy coming home to play them too much.

Yep. I try to only record the raerer pieces that I don't want to over play (and possibly wan tot sell) and listen to those at work. More common records I leave just on wax. I have found that recording them definitely decreases play time.

But I like listening to music while driving the best, so sometimes I slip up and get on a recording binge.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This is the weirdest thread ever. You guys don't want to listen to a song because you do[/b] want to listen to it? Huh?!

Is listening to the thing on the record versus on the mp3 really that much of a different experience?

-e

This is the weirdest thread ever. You guys don't want to listen to a song because you do[/b] want to listen to it? Huh?!

Is listening to the thing on the record versus on the mp3 really that much of a different experience?

-e

Nope, it's about listening to the Mp3 in situations like work and car so that you get a little tired of the song. Then you don't play the record. Then the record is baseball carded and not being properly appreciated.

Was that not obvious?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts

Nope, it's about listening to the Mp3 in situations like work and car so that you get a little tired of the song. Then you don't play the record. Then the record is baseball carded and not being properly appreciated.

Was that not obvious?

Sure was.

I can definitely relate to this especially when it comes to 12"s, mostly hip hop & disco. They tend to only get played when we're having parties. In 5 years they will all be in VG condition... :-)

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    This thread is still weird to me.

This thread is still weird to me.

You do not seem to understand. That's ok. But leave this thread for those who want to make a contribution.

• Nope, it's about listening to the Mp3 in situations like work and car so that you get a little tired of the song. Then you don't play the record. Then the record is baseball carded and not being properly appreciated.

Was that not obvious?

Sure was.

I can definitely relate to this especially when it comes to 12"s, mostly hip hop & disco. They tend to only get played when we're having parties. In 5 years they will all be in VG condition... :-)

If you listened to the vinyl regularly, they'd be VG in 3 years instead of 5. Why wear it out if you don't have to?

Was that not obvious?

Sure was.

If you listened to the vinyl regularly, they'd be VG in 3 years instead of 5. Why wear it out if you don't have to?

Why own it if you don't listen to it?

• Mel_GibsonMel_Gibson 664 Posts

Why own it if you don't listen to it?
    Because of the pleasure derived from owning it. You must be in tune with yourself and somewhat honest with yourself to realize and admit that this factors into the equation.

• the thing is, you're not going to get sick of truly great records. some warbly koto yelping funky bassline bullshit like rubaiyat is real easy to play out. if you're getting sick of listening to it on the computer, chances are you're not really feeling it that much.

but some shit is definitely too heavy to just listen to casually, and that's a different category. my most rewarding listening comes from records that demand i pay attention.

at the end of the day, you're always going to come back to the music that is impossible to play out, no matter what format.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Look, I can give you the pleasure of deading this entire thread, by handing over the keys to your Ashby.

Hurry please, before I actually get sick of listening to it.