Do Americans Buy Rare Records on eBay??

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
This is an honest question for all you eBay sellers.I dabble in selling, only really when I come across some real raers or if I'm desperate for drug money.Just had a set of auctions end for a few semi-raer funk 45's...just like every set of rare records I have sold on eBay, not one of the high bidders was from the US. Now, I'm aware of the various reasons for this, but still, I have to wonder - has anyone ever sold a $200 45 to someone in the US? Has a "yank" ever beat out someone in Japan for that $300 RVG West 33rd Blue Note 1st press?? Ever???

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    [email]f@*k[/email] eBay.

Its all about GEMM.

just keeedin...

sayin. the shipping cost on eBay is hectic for a chinese brudda like me !

• I'm from France.

Most of the stuff "strictly for breaks or loops use" I sell, like rare libraries, go in USA (some european too, mainly UK people).
    Japanese don't give a F*** no more for that type of records, only buying freakbeat, french vocal pop, jazz brasilian influenced scat and things commonly described as "cheesy" in the USA.

I think people in US mostly do trades to grab expensive records.
    Japanese dudes are used to spend money for records, yankees aren't!

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    DAMN. Same here. Just sold two 45's for a nice amount of dough and both were from the UK. I get a lot of overseas buyers now that I think about it. Shit gets drastic.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Japanese don't give a F*** no more for that type of records, only buying freakbeat, french vocal pop, jazz brasilian influenced scat and things commonly described as "cheesy" in the USA.

Except that one of my funk 45's last night was sold to Japan...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Japanese dudes are used to spend money for records, yankees aren't!

...and the French are used to bidding but never paying.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Most of the European records that I'm selling are being bought by US customers, and most US records are being bought by Europeans.

All my top rare records go to Japan or the UK. Very few rare libraries go to the US.

So I guess people are using eBay for records they can't buy in their country/place. European record shops don't sell Funk 45s. I guess that's why all of us Europeans are buying Funk 45 on eBay.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'd say my experiences with french bidders have been on the whole positive - maybe 10 prompt payers for every zero feedback deadbeat.

american bidders probably would like those same raers that uk & japanese cats are winning, but domestic green just doesn't go far enuff thanks to our depreciating currency.

little timmy digalot just ain't prepared to drop bills on eddie bo 45s

• Japanese dudes are used to spend money for records, yankees aren't!

...and the French are used to bidding but never paying.

aaaah, the good ol' frenchie diss line... It's been a long time!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'd say about 80% of the $50 and up records I sell go overseas. Most US buyers I get buy cheap stuff that I would think they could just walk out their front door & find anywhere...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    This is an honest question for all you eBay sellers.

I dabble in selling, only really when I come across some real raers or if I'm desperate for drug money.

Just had a set of auctions end for a few semi-raer funk 45's...just like every set of rare records I have sold on eBay, not one of the high bidders was from the US. Now, I'm aware of the various reasons for this, but still, I have to wonder - has anyone ever sold a $200 45 to someone in the US? Has a "yank" ever beat out someone in Japan for that $300 RVG West 33rd Blue Note 1st press?? Ever???

Yes, i have sold records for $200 + to buyers in the US both on ebay and off.

Yes, 80 - 90% of my 45 sales go to the UK, France, Japan, and sometimes Italy.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

So I guess people are using eBay for records they can't buy in their country/place.
    Probably the most sensible use for eBay.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    type of shit sold:

soul funk disco rares

lps/12s/45s

50% uk

10% japan

10% germany

10% usa

10% netherlands

3% australia

3% canada

3% brazil

something like that.

italy factors in somewhere....also gets the most confused country award.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    type of shit sold:

soul funk disco rares
    lps/12s/45s

50% uk
    10% japan
    10% germany
    10% usa
    10% netherlands
    3% australia
    3% canada
    3% brazil

something like that.

where's france at? you gotta have france on that list with the BOOOOOOGIIEE

God bless those jazz loving Japs & those who sail with them!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    beware the only slur your allowed to use on this site is "fag"

beware the only slur your allowed to use on this site is "fag"

sorry

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    yeah you're right.

flance. flance is taking fucking over. i send nuff packages to the fraunch. france would be like 20-30% of the gayme.

fuck it i need a pie chart. where is my demographic team at???

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    yeah you're right.

flance. flance is taking fucking over. i send nuff packages to the fraunch. france would be like 20-30% of the gayme.

fuck it i need a pie chart. where is my demographic team at???

• most I ever got for a record($250) was from DJ Duke(legendary house/disco dj) out of California...but I feel ya, I get SICK of filling out those damn custom forms for shipping out of the States. (not that im complaining$$$)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    most I ever got for a record($250) was from DJ Duke(legendary house/disco dj) out of California...but I feel ya, I get SICK of filling out those damn custom forms for shipping out of the States. (not that im complaining$$$)

Yeah, see, that's sort of what inspired the thread - not hatting on anyone/anyplace, it was just sitting there last night as my auctions ended, almost wanting to cross my fingers and plead, "please, Lord, just one domestic buyer - just one??" I know it's all part of the game, and without the international pool, none of us would be getting these gaudy amounts of $$$ for records most people could care less about, but just once I'd like to slap a 45 in a mailer, charge my $2 domestic shipping and send it off, instead of having to find out how much it costs to send registered mail to Tasmania...not to mention the extra worry about will the packages even make it there! Those wait-2-months-get-20-"where's my rackord?"-emails only to have it arrive safely 9 weeks later scenarios are a real bum-out.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Selling from Australia, Japanese customers probably buy about half my records all up. The next biggest buyer would be UK customers, followed closely by US.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    No.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    No.

he's right, I think with the exception of foreign valuable LP's. I think its the same principal that gets some many japanese and euro's to buy US LP's

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    of my selling on ebay seems only 25% went to us buyers peace, stein. . .

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    From a strictly UK perspective, the reason for this is because you just can't pop down the local store and find fair priced rare records here. The daily finds threads are testament to that, dudes in the us are pulling stuff that you probably have a million in one chance of finding in the field over here. I've seen threads on here that criticise Recordkingz and Dj Friendly etc for their prices, but really that's probably the going rate over here. Unless you luck out at a charity shop, you going to have to pay big for collectable pieces. There's been a long history of obsessive UK record collectors that have just sucked the market dry, so I guess ebay is the only way that dudes have access to this kind of thing. Record fairs over here are usually also crazy expensive, so if you don't want re-ishs you're gonna need deep pockets.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    type of shit sold:

soul funk disco rares

lps/12s/45s

50% uk

10% japan

10% germany

10% usa

10% netherlands

3% australia

3% canada

3% brazil

something like that.

where's france at? you gotta have france on that list with the BOOOOOOGIIEE

Lately, it seems Australia has a bit more of the pie than that.........In my opinion, the Netherlands should also get a bigger piece as well as Japan. Reduce the UK to 30%. Add France and a small piece for Italy, then you're good for the business I've been getting.