Chocolate News = the new Chappell Show?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
embed FlashVars='videoId=185884' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'1/embed1b,121b,121embed FlashVars='videoId=187957' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/default/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='332' height='316' name='comedy_central_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'1/embed1

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm very skeptical+those weren't funny

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    David Alan Grier always seemed like more of a straight man (comedy-wise) anyway

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im watching this. I hope he has a talented cast to execute his ideas.

what

• What's Dave Chappell up to these days?

who?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This isn't good. b,121Undope

Undope

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Caught some of it tonight. From what I can tell it goes something like this.b,121b,121Chocolate News : Chappelle :: MadTV : SNL

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    isnt this guy in 'an american carol'

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    His Maya Angelou was a lot funnier when he did it on SNL.b,121b,121"Toucan Sam..."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121David Alan Grier always seemed like more of a straight man (comedy-wise) anyway b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121 A quality straight man is under-appreciated, but ask any member of the cult of Michael Cera, it requires a deft touch.

• man, that shit wasn't funny at all. CHAD VINDICATED

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121David Alan Grier always seemed like more of a straight man (comedy-wise) anyway b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121What? Give me example of him being a straight man.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Cat nip for Becky's freshman year sister and her friends.b,121b,121Isn't it pretty clear that people are looking for funny/smart programming right now?b,121b,121I'm not holding my breath for D.L.'s new (news) show on CNN, but it's got to be better than this.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121/font1Quote:/font1h,121b,121David Alan Grier always seemed like more of a straight man (comedy-wise) anyway b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121What? Give me example of him being a straight man. b,121b,121h,121b,121b,121That bit he did on In Living Color where he played the star of a fictional TV show called Sidekick...the black secondary character on a white detective program who knows all the answers, but is sorta one-dimensional and gets killed off before show is over. At one point, some sexed-up white woman puts the moves on him; he replies something like, "lady, if you haven't noticed, I'm black! I'm not supposed to have a love scene!" So, in that bit there, not only was he a straight guy, but he was more or less calling attention to it! I couldn't see Jamie Foxx pulling off a role like that...b,121b,121Now, Grier could cut up when he wanted to. I still smile thinking of Calhoun Tubbs, the bluesman, or that hall monitor with the club foot. But time and time again, he had a lot of gags where he was the setup guy for Damon Wayans, Jim Carrey and others to do their bits, usually playing some uptight or nerdy dude. And he did it well, often getting as much laffs as Carrey or any of the Wayans family. (For a non-ILC example, see his nice-guy character in the movie Boomerang, where Eddie Murphy steals Halle Berry out from under him...) So, I guess for that reason, I couldn't visualize him doing a show like Chocolate News. It seems like a role for somebody wilder and looser, like Damon Wayans or (more to the point) Dave "M.I.A." Chappelle.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I thought Grier was very funny when he hosted SNL, but this is not too good.

• MARQUEE>b,121STRONG>CHAD VINDICATED /STRONG>/MARQUEE>

/object1b,121b,121/object1b,121b,121David Alan Grier is funny

• David Alan Grier is funny... this show... or at least the first one was not.b,121b,121b,121Not a single funny skit.b,121b,121The N word auction was stupid.b,121The e-40 PSA's were stupidb,121The Maya Angelou shit was stupidb,121and the Last skit about the first black presidential candidate was stupidb,121b,121Horrible horrible show. I was glad to see some ass and such... but that was about all that was good.