"Old Rare New" Record Store/Book-R

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "The first comprehensive look at these important institutions"b,121b,121Hasn't this been happen on the internet for years? You could just print all the Soul Strut record store threads and have it bound.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121"The first comprehensive look at these important institutions"
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121ayo

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It got sorta tepid reviews in the Waxidermy thread about it.b,121b,121http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=17961&highlight=rare+book

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    From Cool Chris:b,121b,121"It was kind of a let down for me. b,121I was pretty involved in helping out with the S.F. content of the book,and although there were some nice words said about some local stores,and a nice bit dedicated to Village Music(the all time Best Bay Area shop R.I.P)-it was kinda lacking.The many Photos of Amoeba and Aquarius(Both good stores)were kind of a bummer.Aquarius does not really sell records at all,and Amoeba might as well be Tower at this point. b,121They were filming a Documentary at the same time as researching this book,so hopefully they will make up for some shortcomings there. b,121I wish they talked to some more REAL heads and less Devendras..... b,121This book really could have been something special if they took a little more time with it and simply found more archival photos of Old stores,or even the older shops that are still around. b,121Not trying to be negative.I actually really liked the people involved with this project.It's just a subject close to my heart I guess."

• someone please post about the documentary if it comes out. they came to my house and interviewed me. One of my friends in London knows them and told them to talk to me. I thought they wanted to film people with record collections/musicians. We talked about that a bit, but mostly ended up talking about me working at Amoeba. b,121b,121I told them to go to Groove Merchant and gave them Chris's info. I didn't know they were making a book too. b,121b,121The guy was asking me about my space echo, which I hadn't used in awhile, and I tried to show him how it worked and I couldn't get any sound to come out. I fumbled with it for a few minutes and felt embarassed. Right after they left I cleaned the tape heads and it all came back like new.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I wish they talked to some more REAL heads and less Devendras.....
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121oh yeah i remember laughing after reading that quote on spermidermy and thinking he had coined a new phrase for Chads with dreaded beards and nipple rings.

• Just got a copy the other it's a cool coffee table piece, but i wish they had interviewed more guys from the US and showed some other US stores.

• I really liked it actually. A little light on, but a good read all the same.