minorities getting the blame

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
I'm not even going to go into the slime attack from the McCain/Palin team over the last few days. Palin in front of a beerhall putsch crowd screaming "terrorist!" "treason! and "kill him!" in reference to the Democratic presidential nominee. Nor will I spend any time on the infamous "that one" remark from last night's debate, which seemed like a "meds running low" moment from McCain. We should all be inured to this by now. If the Republican Party can't bring about a Permanent Republican government, they're going to brand everyone not on their side as Permanent Others. b,121 But this "a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/20080924/cm_ucac/theygaveyourmortgagetoalessqualifiedminority" target="_blank"1hate piece" from Ann Coulter really breaks some new ground.b,121b,121Bailout Blame Game Unfairly Targets Minoritiesb,121b,121Leave it to conservatives to inject a racial component into the current economic crisis. Over the last week, leading conservative commentators like Charles Krauthammer, Ann Coulter, Lou Dobbs, and the Wall Street Journal editorial page have been trying to blame the crisis on minorities getting subprime mortgages.b,121b,121The conservatives blame the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977, which was enacted to address a practiced called ???redlining,??? in which banks deliberately withheld credit from minority communities in the ???60s and ???70s. The act was intended ???to encourage depository institutions to help meet the credit needs???in low- and moderate-income neighborhoods.???b,121b,121Conservative commentator Ann Coulter has written that the CRA has fostered granting loans based on ???nontraditional measures of creditworthiness, such as having a good jump shot or having a missing child named ???Caylee.??????b,121b,121While Coulter???s words can be dismissed as crudely racist, they echo a line of thought that asserts that since many of the subprime mortgages were given to minority borrowers, this ???affirmative action??? measure is at the root of the current crisis. But this attack on victims of predatory lending is as flawed as calling Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama a terrorist.b,121b,121First, if the CRA was crafted over 30 years ago, why is it that only now subprime mortgages have created a crisis? Secondly, most of the disastrous subprime loans were made by mortgage brokers and disreputable lenders unregulated by the CRA. Third, according to data from the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act, white and affluent borrowers took out 58 per cent of higher-cost loans, with blacks and Latinos accounting for 18 per cent each.b,121b,121Just last week The New York Times reported that the Nehemiah housing program, which provides housing for minorities in that city???s outer boroughs has reported 10 defaults on 3900 households in the last 27 years. Hardly what you???d call an irresponsible group.b,121b,121The true culprit in our current financial crisis is the policy of the Bush administration that rewrote rules for our lending and banking institutions that have enriched high-rolling financiers and bankrupted powerless average Americans. Current regulations allow institutions to charge higher fees to sell debt if loans fail, giving them an impetus to create the conditions for default in the first place.b,121b,121These facts have implications for the recently signed bailout package, in which the government has agreed to purchase blocs of toxic subprime mortgages whose values are decreasing as a result of the crisis. The bailout also includes little aid to homeowners still trying to pay the predatory loans.b,121b,121Now more than ever, it is clear that this country needs to reassess its domestic economic policy in a way that serves the majority of its hard-working citizens, rather than blame them for the excesses of a privileged few.

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The above is a post from ed moralesb,121b,121f*cking lou dobbs never stops with his hate of immigrants and "others"

• The Republicans started to introduce this meme last week. I saw some congresswoman from Minnesota on MSNBC and she rattled off that whole bizarre scenario and the anchor just sat there and didn't challenge her at all. I'm in my living room yelling at the TV like a moron...

• Slate's economics editor, Daniel Gross, published a piece rebutting this nonsensical theory this past Monday.b,121b,121b,121a href="http://www.slate.com/id/2201641/" target="_blank"1http://www.slate.com/id/2201641/

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121We should all be inured to this by now.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I hope not.b,121I understand not wanting to dwell on all the shit that's happened recently or rehash it, but I hope I never become accustomed to it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I saw some congresswoman from Minnesota on MSNBC and she rattled off that whole bizarre scenario
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Michelle Bachman? a href="http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/03/19/michelle-bachman-is-one-crazy-person/" target="_blank"1That bitch is cray-cray.b,121b,121And that's not even getting into her a href="http://www.eleventh-avenue-south.com/archives/000491.html" target="_blank"1hiding in the bushes to spy on a gay-rights rally.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    these republican women could almost form a superhero right wing nutjob clanb,121b,121michelle, bay and sarah : GOP galsb,121b,121it was refreshing to see a hardened republican woman take them downb,121b,121Michelle Laxalt on LK yesterdayb,121look, I think -- I can't believe the tone of this conversation. Here we are, three conservative, loyal Republican women. And we are talking about a female who could be the vice president of the United States of America.b,121b,121In my estimation, she is being used unfairly as a tool by a team who, by the way, do not even support, nor does their candidate, equal pay for women for equal work. So if she is going to be the traditional vice presidential attack dog -- which I concur with Bay, that's very much a traditional role -- why didn't her male running mate, i.e. the candidate himself, man up and speak to those issues, calling his opponent essentially unpatriotic, calling him a terrorist?b,121b,121I'm sorry. This is not the Republican Party that Bill Buckley, that Paul Laxalt, that Ronald Reagan raised me on. And I don't believe the American people like this kind of dirty politics. If they can't win fair and square, they shouldn't trash the other guy.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I saw some congresswoman from Minnesota on MSNBC and she rattled off that whole bizarre scenario
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Michelle Bachman?
    b,121
    b,121And that's not even getting into her
    a href="http://www.eleventh-avenue-south.com/archives/000491.html" target="_blank"1hiding in the bushes to spy on a gay-rights rally
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121That's the one, with a smile on her like a Cheshire Cat...