What to do with $$$? Invest now, wait, run?

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
Market - now, later, never - your thoughts?b,121b,121I'm not putting money under the mattress, and with the interest rate cut again my ING interest is gonna hit 2%. F*ck that!b,121b,121BOFA has a small business CD incentive 7 months at 4%.b,121b,121Are any of you getting ready to buy? If so, what? I don't know shit about the market but 2% interest ain't cutting it for me. b,121b,121I do know about real estate and buying up Joe 6packs fuckups is starting to look more and more appealing. Bout to get on some ole Serfs and landlords shit. b,121b,121lets get paid. holler.

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    send some to me? :-)b,121b,121Nah honestly, if you got no conscious, I'd invest in nuclear energy consortiums. Or water management companies (thats the oil of the future).b,121b,121If not, i'd invest it in gold bullions and hold on to it, it will be worth a whole lot more as gold in the next few years IMHO.Property is also good, cus you can always rent it out or live in it.b,121b,121But the safest bet would be to invest it all in vinyl records!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    it really depends on how much risk you're willing to assume with your investment. if you're more on the conservative side, 4% isn't bad for a short-term thing (less than 5 years). If you're willing to assume more risk (and spend a shitload of time tracking/trading), playing with individual stocks in a volatile market can have its rewards. short sellers, holleur. i can't think of anything that's mid-level risk in the current market with a 10-15% growth rate that's actually stable right now. perhaps you could purchase euros and stuff them in your mattress.b,121b,121btw: thanks for the show in sd a couple nights back. the lil lady said it was good for her "first rap concert".

• Word, glad she had a good time. I am trying to invest that big old sunday night Casbah half full payout, NAHMEAN?!b,121b,121No but for real though - what do you make of this advice (again, i am not into high risk or timely tracking and moving, just looking for some good looks that will keep my capital bouyant with inflation):b,121b,121I'm continuing to buy good companies. I've been buying Nvidia ($3 a share in cash, $7 stock, buyout prospects), more GE (below Buffett's price), Franklin Resources (the top-performing stock from 1980-2008, even more than Berkshire ), State Street (solid bank being destroyed in the selloff), Mosaic (top fertilizer company -- I'm not of the camp that people will stop eating in a recession), Dry Ships (trading at a forward P/E of 2 and just expanded its fleet), Sirius (one exception to the rule of buying the best companies is to buy the absolute worst companies -- they bounce harder in a snapback), Goldman (below Buffett's price) and Juniper (a good proxy on the tech sector and has held up fairly well; I also think Cisco could buy it). Today, I'm going to start looking through the portfolios of Atticus Capital, T. Boone Pickens and a few others to see which of their holdings I can load up on. These are the best investors on the planet, and the whole idea of Stockpickr is to buy their stocks in moments like this, when you can get them at a severe discount. b,121b,121???

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    def. do your research into individual companies and what they actually produce before you invest a substantial amount into their stock. the one thing that strikes me as sound in that statement is the Mosaic stock tip-- there are several things that in the short-run, you can definitely count on to continue being in demand (and thus the stock remains stable/growing) during a recession-- and those items are consumer necessities. Especially given the current state of corn/ethanol production domestically, things related to agricultural production ie: fertilizers, commercial pesticides, etc. can be steady investments.b,121Check into smaller, independent banks and their financial offerings, if you're more risk averse. b,121b,121Personally, I would stay away from stuff like Franklin, Goldman, etc., given the simple uncertainty of their overall survival right now. I'd wait until they show consistent growth before jumping into that sort of thing.b,121Looking at large portfolios to see what others are investing in is usually a good strategy.b,121b,121I should note that I can't give advice from a personal standpoint, because i am not currently invested in the market. (I also lack a series 7 license, yikes!) I can give more general statements from a theoretical standpoint, since it's my background-- but take that for what it's worth... academics are never really wealthy.

• word, thanks man. fertilizer isn't sounding so shitty. I'm gonna hit the books on it.

• I say CD. 7 mo is nothing. you'll be glad you did it. cash is king.