Movie-strut: Choke

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
img src="http://pubpages.unh.edu/~laj8/choke.jpg"1img src="http://fierce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/choke.jpg"1 b,121b,121This movie was WELL worth the ten bucks. b,121b,121Sam rockwell Kills it. b,121b,121Clark gregg did a great job adapting the book, and acting in the film. b,121b,121The Rape scene is PHENOMENAL. b,121b,121HIGHLY reccomend this flick.b,121b,121- spidey

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    ugh, really? i thought this was one of the worst films i've seen this year, and I've seen 200-300 new films this year.b,121b,121and not because of the "edgy" content either. I thought the acting was terrible, even from rockwell (who I usually enjoy).

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121ugh, really? i thought this was one of the worst films i've seen this year, and I've seen 200-300 new films this year.
    b,121
    b,121and not because of the "edgy" content either. I thought the acting was terrible, even from rockwell (who I usually enjoy).
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Eh, you didn't like it. I really liked it. The film I can't wait to see is Blindness, but this has been by far one of the best films I've seen all year. b,121b,121What have you liked from this year?b,121b,121- spidey

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121ugh, really? i thought this was one of the worst films i've seen this year, and I've seen 200-300 new films this year.
    b,121
    b,121and not because of the "edgy" content either. I thought the acting was terrible, even from rockwell (who I usually enjoy).
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Eh, you didn't like it. I really liked it. The film I can't wait to see is Blindness, but this has been by far one of the best films I've seen all year.
    b,121
    b,121What have you liked from this year?
    b,121
    b,121- spidey
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121yeah, sorry if that came across as a diss, to each their own, I just couldn't get into this one at all. b,121b,121I LOVED the novel Blindness, probably one of my top 10 of all time. The film disappointed me, maybe inevitably given how much I loved the novel. But still I liked Blindness (the movie) a lot better than Choke (the movie -- haven't read that book). b,121b,121My favorite films this year have been mostly indie titles with very little distribution like Medicine for Melancholy and Chop Shop, and foreign films like Reprise and 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. But I've liked plenty of Hollywood films -- Dark Knight, Burn After Reading, etc.

• i heard they took all the original elements of the book out and made it into a crappy sex comedy.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 The Rape scene is PHENOMENAL
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1 b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/155.gif" alt="" 21

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    The commercials I see all over hulu.com are horrible. Terrible premise, horrible acting, terrible cinematography, terrible make-up (looks like no one is wearing any). I have no interest in this at all.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121The commercials I see all over hulu.com are horrible. Terrible premise, horrible acting, terrible cinematography, terrible make-up (looks like no one is wearing any). I have no interest in this at all.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121It's all good Beverly Hills Chihuahua sounds more like your steez. b,121b,121- spidey

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121 I thought the acting was terrible, even from rockwell (who I usually enjoy).
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1gotta img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cos3ve.gif" alt="" 21 this.was a real disapointment.

• I saw the trailer and thought it looked kind of bad. I would love to be totally wrong since I did enjoy the book.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 and Chop Shop, and foreign films like 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Those are both good films, so I don't want to appear negative. But I was left a bit underwhelmed by both. Chop Shop actually proved to me why the Italian neorealists and Kiarastomi/Panehi are so good; despite ostensibly not much happening, the sense of drama is always strong. Chop Shop just wasn't that compelling to me.b,121b,121And 4 Months, I think I said this to bassie around the time the film came out-- the film is well-made, no question, but formally it was too close to the Dardennes brothers' style (whose best films are far superior anyway).

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Tell No One."

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I foolishly always considered the book basically unfilmable but was still interested in seeing what they did with this as I really enjoyed the novel. I'm hoping that the trailer is portraying this as a light hearted romp to avoid scaring people off watching it and the film itself is less "Confessions of a tour guide" and much more in tune with the novel's dark side?

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 and Chop Shop, and foreign films like 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Those are both good films, so I don't want to appear negative. But I was left a bit underwhelmed by both. Chop Shop actually proved to me why the Italian neorealists and Kiarastomi/Panehi are so good; despite ostensibly not much happening, the sense of drama is always strong. Chop Shop just wasn't
    that compelling to me.b,121b,121And 4 Months, I think I said this to bassie around the time the film came out-- the film is well-made, no question, but formally it was too close to the Dardennes brothers' style (whose best films are far superior anyway). b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I hear what you're saying; I've seen a lot of films that I liked this year, but maybe not any 5/5 perfect film experiences (and over the last few years I have seen films that felt near-perfect to me, like Falkenberg Farewell, Zodiac, and Syndromes and a Century). b,121b,121But I guess I liked both Chop Shop amd 4 Months a bit more than you did. Panahi's one of my favorite filmmakers (although Offside felt a little compromised to me), so no argument there; I far prefer his best films to Chop Shop. But the Dardenne's thing is feeling a little tired to me by now, and I thought 4 Months had an energy of its own. For one thing, I feel like the Dardennes are well-intentioned liberals making social-issue stories, whereas 4 Months had an in-the-trenches autobiographical veracity that really elevated it in my opinion.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121 But the Dardenne's thing is feeling a little tired to me by now, and I thought 4 Months had an energy of its own. For one thing, I feel like the Dardennes are well-intentioned liberals making social-issue stories, whereas 4 Months had an in-the-trenches autobiographical veracity that really elevated it in my opinion.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yeah, I wasn't that crazy about Lorna's Silence, so I see what you're saying about "well-intentioned liberals making..", but stuff like The Son and Rosetta are way too idiosyncratic to be called "social-issue stories". As for Panahi, I agree on Offside. Good, but not his best by a long shot. I actually think my favorite is White Balloon, that and Where is the Friend's House? make for a hell of a one-two punch. Anyway, I gotta check out some of the other films you mentioned. b,121b,121Back to Choke...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I haven't read the book, but saw the movie, and liked it a lot. Didn't notice anything smelly about the acting.b,121b,121Took my mom to see it with me. Whoops.b,121b,121...its funny, literally five minutes ago I just finished reading 'RANT' which was by the same author. It proved to be a good head trip.