Sharon Jones on teh PBS

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
If your local PBS station carries the show Austin City Limits, an episode featuring Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings will be premiering November 4. I actually ran across it accidentally, as there's supposed to be an episode featuring Roky Erickson coming up, but I couldn't find it on the a href="http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=1" target="_blank"1Austin City Limits site./a1b,121b,121img src="http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/jusbidnis/hoityx.gif"1

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I just watched the Roky erikson DVD, You're gonna miss me. What an Excellent DVD. You feel bad about Roky, and his mother. What a talented dude, with a tragic story. More people should check out that film. b,121b,121- spidey

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121If your local PBS station carries the show Austin City Limits, an episode featuring Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings will be premiering November 4. I actually ran across it accidentally, as there's supposed to be an episode featuring Roky Erickson coming up, but I couldn't find it on the
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I thought the Roky Erickson show already ran. In any event, I missed it (he hasn't been on network television in over 40 years!!), so if it will be rerun, I'd like to know...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I just watched the Roky erikson DVD, You're gonna miss me. What an Excellent DVD. You feel bad about Roky, and his mother. What a talented dude, with a tragic story.
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121When the flick came out, it was right when he started making public appearances again, so it was good to see that despite the documentary, he appears to be doing much better.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I just watched the Roky erikson DVD, You're gonna miss me. What an Excellent DVD. You feel bad about Roky, and his mother. What a talented dude, with a tragic story. More people should check out that film.
    b,121
    b,121- spidey
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I Netflixed it. It was great, but yeah, you do end up feeling pretty bad for the man.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I just watched the Roky erikson DVD, You're gonna miss me. What an Excellent DVD. You feel bad about Roky, and his mother. What a talented dude, with a tragic story. More people should check out that film.
    b,121
    b,121- spidey
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I Netflixed it. It was great, but yeah, you do end up feeling pretty bad for the man.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121just watched this last week, myself. that dude has one of the greatest voices ever. his brother is the dude for helping get his life in order.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'll be watching election returns on the 4th. Unless they declare it for Obama as soon as the polls close.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I just watched the Roky erikson DVD, You're gonna miss me. What an Excellent DVD. You feel bad about Roky, and his mother. What a talented dude, with a tragic story. More people should check out that film.

- spidey

I Netflixed it. It was great, but yeah, you do end up feeling pretty bad for the man.

just watched this last week, myself. that dude has one of the greatest voices ever. his brother is the dude for helping get his life in order.

Just saw this last night, definitely on some multiple-level

--Roky's mom is crazy
    --Roky is burnt out and really crazy
    --Roky's brother is crazy
    --Roky's other brother is burnt out

SPOILIER

Roky's brother goes to court to get Roky on some meds to help his schizophrenia, helps him combat that disease a bit. Fast forward a few years and Roky's brother moves the two back to Austin and, in his own DIY addendum to the documentary, says "mental disease does not exist," that it is simply something that can be cured by a good diet, rest and exercise. As if the young boy came 180 degrees into his crazy mom's philosophy. Which is not a bad way of life... if you're not crazy.

Really great to see Roky seemingly doing a whole lot better, but I walk away thinking that there is a lot of mental disease in his family and that that sort of disease definitely does exist. But what a bizarre turn of events by the end of it.