Howl's Moving Castle (Japanime related)

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I took the seed yesterday to see this movie after stumbling on a trailer online. We both liked it a lot, really sweet movie. The imagery was amazing, Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli don't dissapoint. It got me thinking about all the anime I watched in college. Apart from classics like Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll, Akira, etc, what anime do you all recommend?Also what do you think of Disney distributing Miyazaki's movies? Personally I'm glad its getting wide distribution because they are great movies, but I wonder if they have asked Miyazaki to tone it down? Also I wonder how the film differs from its original Japanese version? anyways, the film was enjoyable, good for kids too.

Comments

• ericeric 155 Posts
    fantastic movie (like most gibli productions) even if i did'n get everything,the story is a bit foggy(i saw it in ov,english subtitled)
    Can wait to have it on dvd.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I havent seen this. Curious, do you think its a good movie to take a first date too? Or is it a bit to 'far-out'? I loved Spirited Away though.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    if she like that type of anime.Otherwise you will look like a pussy to her (just kidding)

my girl like it alot,and i'm no pussy fosho

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There was a show on Moving Castle on U.C. Berkeley's college station. They said there's no real difference between the dubbed and Japanese version. Nothing I've heard said that Disney told the guy to tone down his movies either for distribution in the U.S.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I havent seen this. Curious, do you think its a good movie to take a first date too? Or is it a bit to 'far-out'? I loved Spirited Away though.

It's not as far out there as Spirited Away, and some people might not find it as exciting. I was more attracted by the animation than the story line itself.
    Has anyone read the book that the movie is based on?

• parenparen 537 Posts
    this is a cute film. i prefer monoke or spirited away even kiki's delivery or earlier pieces. bale providing the voice-over of the lead character was sorta jarring (and annoying) to me at first (but then again so was claire danes, in monoke)... then a friend pointed out that bale is a sorta-homo badass in many of his films, which is right on target for the howl's character. point taken.