who in the music biz has actually stayed retired??

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited July 2005 in Music Talk
the Emenem 'retiring thread' got me thinking. Which artists (of any genre) has announced a retirement and actually stuck to their guns?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the Emenem 'retiring thread' got me thinking. Which artists (of any genre) has announced a retirement and actually stuck to their guns?

David Bowie...oh, wait, no.....

I think he holds the record though at something like at least 4 'retirements'.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    It's really too soon to tell, but Garth Brooks has been out of the public eye as long as there's been a 2000's.

Patti Smith was retired for years, but she was smart - she didn't announce that she was quitting show business, she just went underground till people noticed she was gone. None of this Jay-Z business where you make a big deal out of retirement yet we still see your photo in the newspapers every day.

It's really too soon to tell, but Garth Brooks has been out of the public eye as long as there's been a 2000's.

Patti Smith was retired for years, but she was smart - she didn't announce that she was quitting show business, she just went underground till people noticed she was gone. None of this Jay-Z business where you make a big deal out of retirement yet we still see your photo in the newspapers every day.

yeah, garth Brooks has really only done charity events and had his face in the papers cuz he married Trisha Yearwood. Dude's gotta have royalties comin'outta his bathroom faucet every morning, the number of records he's sold. He don't have to do shit.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Garth Brooks has been out of the public eye as long as there's been a 2000's.

cheers to that.

yeah, garth Brooks has really only done charity events and had his face in the papers cuz he married Trisha Yearwood.

and even then i dont recall anyone talking about it like they would have ten years ago when they were the hottest shit going in country music (when was trisha's last hit, anyway?)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, the "announcing you're retiring" thing is really just a "hey, look at me!dont forget about me, make sure you keep up with the other shit I will be doing!" A bunch of silly bullshit.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    scott walker

jacques brel - he only retired from live performances but at leat he stuck to it.

scott walker

Well, didn't Scott do TILT and a film soundtrack, or has he retired since then? I think he's just a very private, reclusive guy. It's a wonder he ever threw himself into show biz enough to even become sorta famous, let alone the huge star he was in the 60s. Good timing I guess.

well two records in the last 25, both of which being radical departures from you're previous body of work sounds kindal ike retirement to me.

he hasnt performed live in decades either.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Cat Stevens

• When was the last time James Brown put out anything?

When was the last time James Brown put out anything?

The hardest working man in showbiz still tours practically full time, in addition to TV and film cameos. He is the living embodiment of "FULL TIME WORKER", at least since Ray Charles passed.

• When was the last time James Brown put out anything?

The hardest working man in showbiz still tours practically full time, in addition to TV and film cameos. He is the living embodiment of "FULL TIME WORKER", at least since Ray Charles passed.

damn JB is ganKsta

i think Cat Stevens has put out a couple Arabic joints and a spoken word childrens book thing.

but i guess since he changed his name its effectively career #2

i can't beleive it took me this long:

Captain Beefheart

nada, zip, zilch since the retirement.

• i always thought too short's retirement was kinda funny. that was like the shortest retirement ever.

also cat stevens was about to come out of retirement and was on a flight back to the US from europe. i guess the flight was suppose to go through boston and was diverted to maine because of his muslim background/terrorist ties. he was supposed to record for some nashville label i believe. sorta sad.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Captain Beefheart

I think he put out a song last year, it was only like 30 seconds long. True Beefheart style haha.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    retire from music? IMPOSSIBLE!

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    Bill Withers??

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    skeeter davis...

too bad too, her hits was the shits.

Captain Beefheart

I think he put out a song last year, it was only like 30 seconds long. True Beefheart style haha.

he is also really really sick with MS...dude has a good excuse

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Captain Beefheart

Ha! "fuck a musician retiring, unless he's crippled or dying or something."

Captain Beefheart

hug a nut paychump

skeeter davis...

too bad too, her hits was the shits.

when did she retire? i thought she kept right on performing until the day she died

• i guess the flight was suppose to go through boston and was diverted to maine because of his muslim background/terrorist ties.

Exactly what terrorist ties are those?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    i guess the flight was suppose to go through boston and was diverted to maine because of his muslim background/terrorist ties.

Exactly what terrorist ties are those?

The link is to fox news (i know, i know), but the actual story comes from Associated Press (not much better admittedly).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dang, i just googled that shit, and yer right... you got me on some other shit two-weeks ago too. all i've got to say now is...
    and...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    dang, i just googled that shit, and yer right... you got me on some other shit two-weeks ago too. all i've got to say now is...
    and...
    So whatchoo sayin, Pickwick wears spandex??

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Captain Beefheart

hug a nut paychump

AWESOME.

This site is about discussion. If you can't deal with opinions contrary to yours, maybe you should take another 24-hour "vacation". Isn't that kind of like a time-out?

Captain Beefheart

hug a nut paychump

AWESOME.

This site is about discussion. If you can't deal with opinions contrary to yours, maybe you should take another 24-hour "vacation". Isn't that kind of like a time-out?

oh yes sir Mr. Paycheck, yes sir, I will do as you say, I forget how much you know about everything...thanks for clearing that up.

If you remember correctly, I am sure you do, you know everything, I split form here for about a week when someone threatened to kill me because of my opinion on a sports team(and you being a total prick)...just sayin'