The Mega Record & CD Fair

erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
edited October 2008 in Strut Central
hey soulstrutb,121i am thinking of heading to Amsterdam for the mega record show in nov.b,121i have heard its out of hand.b,121i want to go get super high and dig all day .b,121is the convention a good time or mostly over priced stuff?b,121anyone gone before?b,121i am looking to bring some records and maybe trade stuff.b,121i think at the night owl and the seattle record show i will be selling some heat to fit the plane ticket.b,121is the convention worth the trouble?b,121share your knowledge here.b,121peace.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121i want to go get super high and
    dig sleep[/b] all day .b,121b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121hey soulstrut
    b,121i am thinking of heading to Amsterdam for the opening of a new mega coffeeshop in nov.
    b,121i have heard its out of control.
    b,121i want to go get super high and sleep all day.
    b,121is this new coffeeshop supposed to be good one or mostly over priced homegrown stuff?
    b,121anyone gotten stoned on their grass before?
    b,121i am looking to bring some of my moms juwelery and maybe trade it in for some dope.
    b,121i think at the night owl and the seattle record show i will be selling some heat to fit the plane ticket.
    b,121is this mega weed-saloon worth the trouble?
    b,121share your knowledge here.
    b,121peace.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1

• i will be up in smoke but no sleeping inb,121how can you sleep with this going onb,121img src="http://www.recordplanet.nl/images/recordfair/pictures/fotojb0711/400/1.jpg"1b,121has any soul strutter been to the show and can give some advice?b,121i am buying my ticket and appraising moms diamonds this weekb,121so i will be set.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    supposedly very high prices and one can do better on ebayb,121also with the dollar to the euro if you are from amerikkka you instantly loose 30-35% before you even get out of the gate b,121if yu are a loaded baller who has mad money to burn then its for youb,121also airfare to the EU spiked like 30-40% to add insult to injury

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    forget about trading. i showed super rare records to dealers. but they seemed to be pissed that i was trying to trade. i think sellers are not doing too good there. most rare records are OVERpriced. you have to talk to the dealers in order to get a discount. it's a little annoying, but in the end you can buy stuff for a reasonable price. i did well on sundays when most sellers will give huge discounts. b,121b,121i think the international days are over. mostly germans, dutch and french sellers. and i'd be worried about the exchange rate too. you might be shocked. b,121b,121i hardly found any unkown records. most dealers know what their stuff is worth and they bring their very best stuff. i had a good time looking at rare psych. i couldn't buy any (prices are craaaaaazy), but it was still fun. i remember that a french guy sold his private collection once. he must have made 5,000 euros within a few hours. b,121b,121so far, i couldn't really enjoy the ARC. you have to bring a lot of money in order to have fun. no soulstrutters there though. you'll be on your own.b,121b,121you have to know what you are looking for. it's not such a huge place, but you will have to decide on what to buy for those prices and what to leave behind. b,121b,121i like the atmosphere. i think i enjoy the utrecht bars and amsterdam more than the ARC though.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    my best find on the whole trip to utrecht last year was the one in germany. i made the best record bargain in a small town next to the autobahn. the day before the ARC. i came back home after the weekend and decided that i should have stayed home considering buying records! b,121b,121i had a blast in amsterdam though. thanks to some new-zealandish-soulstrut-moderhater-home-improvement-club-manager-lesbian-pron-king kinda guy and a smoking dutch cook there.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    one last thing:b,121b,121if you get in early early early on friday, you might find something cool without anyone else around. you get free coffee too! it's tough to get up early being on a vacation in holland though.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121forget about trading. i showed super rare records to dealers. but they seemed to be pissed that i was trying to trade. i think sellers are not doing too good there. most rare records are OVERpriced. you have to talk to the dealers in order to get a discount. it's a little annoying, but in the end you can buy stuff for a reasonable price. i did well on sundays when most sellers will give huge discounts.
    b,121
    b,121i think the international days are over. mostly germans, dutch and french sellers. and i'd be worried about the exchange rate too. you might be shocked.
    b,121
    b,121i hardly found any unkown records. most dealers know what their stuff is worth and they bring their very best stuff. i had a good time looking at rare psych. i couldn't buy any (prices are craaaaaazy), but it was still fun. i remember that a french guy sold his private collection once. he must have made 5,000 euros within a few hours.
    b,121
    b,121so far, i couldn't really enjoy the ARC. you have to bring a lot of money in order to have fun. no soulstrutters there though. you'll be on your own.
    b,121
    b,121you have to know what you are looking for. it's not such a huge place, but you will have to decide on what to buy for those prices and what to leave behind.
    b,121
    b,121i like the atmosphere. i think i enjoy the utrecht bars and amsterdam more than the ARC though.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I agree with most of the things said here. I usually bring a bag of record to sell or trade and it usually works out fine for me.b,121There's was a supercool seller from the Uk last time I went. I had a chat with him and he seemed very cool about the prices. Got a whole bunch of Blue Note's off him with a reasonable discount.b,121The friday is great but you need to have a sellers pass to get in.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121forget about trading. i showed super rare records to dealers. but they seemed to be pissed that i was trying to trade. i think sellers are not doing too good there. most rare records are OVERpriced. you have to talk to the dealers in order to get a discount. it's a little annoying, but in the end you can buy stuff for a reasonable price. i did well on sundays when most sellers will give huge discounts.
    b,121
    b,121i think the international days are over. mostly germans, dutch and french sellers. and i'd be worried about the exchange rate too. you might be shocked.
    b,121
    b,121i hardly found any unkown records. most dealers know what their stuff is worth and they bring their very best stuff. i had a good time looking at rare psych. i couldn't buy any (prices are craaaaaazy), but it was still fun. i remember that a french guy sold his private collection once. he must have made 5,000 euros within a few hours.
    b,121
    b,121so far, i couldn't really enjoy the ARC. you have to bring a lot of money in order to have fun. no soulstrutters there though. you'll be on your own.
    b,121
    b,121you have to know what you are looking for. it's not such a huge place, but you will have to decide on what to buy for those prices and what to leave behind.
    b,121
    b,121i like the atmosphere. i think i enjoy the utrecht bars and amsterdam more than the ARC though.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I agree with most of the things said here. I usually bring a bag of record to sell or trade and it usually works out fine for me.
    b,121There's was a supercool seller from the Uk last time I went. I had a chat with him and he seemed very cool about the prices. Got a whole bunch of Blue Note's off him with a reasonable discount.
    b,121The friday is great but you need to have a sellers pass to get in.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Sadmanrecords? That guy is super nice!!!b,121b,121Friday is the best day. There are ways to get a ticket for cheap. I would try to go there on Friday and Sunday.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    <-----------------b,121b,121b,121b,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" /1

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    -----------------
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerbang.gif" alt="" /1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121you destroyed b,121the soulstrut design with your new location! everything got b,121out of b,121b,121shape!

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Here is my take;b,121b,121Expensive. Ebay is cheaper, but the selection is second to none. There are obviously deals to be had (like anywhere) and overpriced (like anywhere) but on average most lp's would be higher then Ebay prices, even with shipping. b,121b,121If you want to get in early and are not a dealer, it's going to cost you around $100 USD for entry to the show, this is before you even buy an lp. If you pay the $100 you get full access on all days. You have to consider flight costs + hotel + $100 to get in and those are your base costs. I'm guessing well over 1k before you purchase your first lp.b,121b,121The EURO is smashing fools. There are also dealers who deal in POUNDS, which is much worse.b,121b,121I guess saying this doesn't mean much unless you know who/where to go, but some major dealing goes down on the Thursday. I went on a Thursday for the first time last trip after being invited. b,121b,121The convention itself is fun. You see a lot of rare stuff, you see dealers fighting, you see people screaming on each other in multiple languages. I've seen at least one fight each time I've gone on the Friday. Dealers breaking records on other peoples heads etc... One guy tried to jack a record and 4 dealers ganged up on him and beat him down. One German guy would not sell/let me look at lp's because he thought I was American... After I showed him my Canadian passport I got the green light etc.... b,121b,121Amsterdam is a fun place regardless, so I really look at the trip as part vacation to justify the costs.b,121b,121I'd say it's more of a fun thing then an investment. Austin show would be a better investment I'd think because the lp's are much cheaper and there are WAY more "deals" to be had.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i can tell you how to get in for 30 USD on friday. the ticket is then valid for the whole weekend. if you need some help... pm me.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I agree with most of the things said here. I usually bring a bag of record to sell or trade and it usually works out fine for me.
    b,121There's was a supercool seller from the Uk last time I went. I had a chat with him and he seemed very cool about the prices. Got a whole bunch of Blue Note's off him with a reasonable discount.
    b,121The friday is great but you need to have a sellers pass to get in.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121Sadmanrecords? That guy is super nice!!!
    b,121
    b,121Friday is the best day. There are ways to get a ticket for cheap. I would try to go there on Friday and Sunday.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Sadman records indeed! That's the guy. One of the cooler dealers I met last time.