No housing slide in San Diego

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
Sure, some houses have sat on the market for weeks or months, but houses that are reasonably priced and move in ready are getting snatched up in days. Maybe in other parts of the country houses are selling for dirt cheap but this is what I see happening here.b,121b,121b,121Joe wants to sell his piece of shit house. 2 years ago it would have been worth 600 thousand, so thats what he wants now. Nobody buys, so he lowers it to 500. Still nobody buys, so he lowers to 450, but thats it. He's not about to actually lose money on the place, so rather than fixing it up and pricing it to sell he's going to sit there. He doesn't HAVE to move, so he'll just wait it out.b,121b,121On the hand there is Frank, who just got a job out of state and needs to move ASAP. He paints his house, fixes it up, puts in new carpet and fresh grass, and then prices it at the same price as Joe's piece of shit down the street.b,121b,121b,121Cletus is out house hunting and looks at Joe's house, plus 5 other houses that are all pieces of shit that have been sitting on the market for months now. He is depressed until he sees Frank's beautiful house. He decides that's the house for him, but after being on the market only 1 day the somebody else has already made an offer. So Cletus along with many other people who want to buy a house are left sitting around waiting for another "Frank". And in the meantime go look at shit houses from people who aren't really that motivated to sell.b,121b,121So houses are still expensive, and (the nicer ones) are still selling. Its just not the buying orgy that it was a year or two ago.b,121b,121Thats how I see it anyways.

Comments

• That doesn't really take into account the amount of money Frank invested to make his house sellable. Chances are, he may have in fact lost money.b,121b,121Sometimes employers will help out with that too.b,121b,121You saw a nice house for a good deal - it probably should've been more but the owner was in a jam. Not surprising it sold. Anything that's priced competitively in this market will still move... it's just that people like Joe can't afford to price their house at what the market will support (less than what he paid) or invest the money into it to make it sellable.

• I bought in San Diego this year and pretty much every place I bid on would have multiple offers after the first day....you gotta be really really on it. Check Redfin everyday to see which places pop up....be ready to submit a bid that day if you really want. The place I ended up getting had 11 bids in 3 days and people willing to go waaay over list price > 60K over list in some cases.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Sayin.... only shitty houses are sitting on the market for more than a few days.b,121b,121b,121And now I have to be worried that the banks will have no money to give me a loan.b,121b,121I don't NEED a house, I just want one, and I was hoping that this crisis would make it easy for me to get a house. Like during the depression I bet houses were really cheap. Except that I don't want this country to go into a depression. I just want a cheap house that is also badass.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My lady and I have been following the market closely here in SD. We're looking to buy in July when our lease is up in the place we're in. I have to admit, I'm seeing some really amazing deals. There are still plenty of people that are holding on to their prices, but their homes aren't selling. I'm seeing lots of people at open houses. You looking to buy soonish? I think it's going to get better for the next year. As the economy gets worse people are going to have to forclose/short sale. People are having trouble getting loans. The market should start to flood with homes. The deals are certainly out there.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    No slide in Houston either, thanks to big oil being based here.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    We've been looking at a couple 3 on 1 places for less than $500,000. You have to have renters on the property, but when we ran the numbers, it seems like the only way to pay less per month than we're paying now, and still own.

• I hear you brother....San Diego houses that are < 400K, in decent condition and in a good neighborhood are gone, out the door in a week (if they even pop up at all). Most that I viewed under 400K still needed quite a bit of work as well. Less than 350K = forget it. Good luck with your search.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121 I just want a cheap house that is also badass.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121ha, no such thing. if it's cheap, you'll be spending a lot of time/money to make it badass. That's the nature of the game.b,121b,121b,121I use Sdlookup.com to browse for houses in SD. It has most of the MLS listings that are available to realtors. You can do a search by neighboorhod.b,121b,121a href="http://www.sdlookup.com/Browse_MLS-2-San_Diego_City" target="_blank"1http://www.sdlookup.com/Browse_MLS-2-San_Diego_City/a1

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    60K over list in some cases. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Did you use redfin to buy? Would you recommend it? I've not heard about it until now.

• I did submit several offers using their site however I would not recommend their services in this type of aggressive climate...you really need someone who you can call and email everyday...everyhour (in my humble opinion). My agent was a monster who really made my deal happen. I recommend using Redfin to find new listings as they come on the market..I still check it almost everyday just to see what is out there. It is a great tool. I was finding the places before my agent in most cases....or calling her about listings that had just posted. If I can impart any of my limited knowledge let me know....I would be glad to help.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    we check MLS listings every day.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    This lady's got a good website:b,121a href="http://www.marymctsoldme.com" target="_blank"1www.marymctsoldme.com/a1b,121b,121You can get new listings and have them custom tailored to your needs. Also, delete houses from your list, mark them as favorites, etc.

• Talk about Barrio Logan, please. I may be there with a few hours to kill soon.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Please watch how you use the words "barrio logan" and "kill"....b,121b,121b,121Just Kidding.b,121b,121Barrio Logan is an interesting place. If you've never been then Chicano Park is really cool.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Cuatros Milpas restaurant is a must. Only open til 2 or 3 pm. Get anything that sounds good. Be prepared to wait for 20 minutes if you show up between 11-1.

I think the next couple years would be a great time to start looking at condos downtown. They've been building those like crazy for the last five years or so. And many that broke ground before or during the housing crisis still have not come on the market. So basically they are and will continue to flood the downtown condo market while demand is plummeting. Supply WAY up and demand WAY down. I bet those things will be going for cheap in the next year or so.b,121b,121And remember that housing slumps happen from the bottom up. There are still many homes at the high end of the market that have not felt the effects yet, but that is coming.b,121b,121Plus I believe that in 2007 the population in SD actually decreased (presumably since housing prices have become out of reach of many people). So yeah, another factor pushing demand down.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Condo prices are down and will continue to go down in the gaslamp. Problem is who wants to pay a $500 extra a month in HOA fees...

Condos historically are the head of the whip; first to crash, first to recover.