The Mad Hatter, The Lone Ranger & Jack Sparrow.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
Oversaturation yes, but tell me you aren't excited to see each one of these movies! Okay, maybe not Pirates 4, but still...b,121b,121/font1
font class="small"1Quote:
/font1
h,121
b,121[i]Johnny Depp has been cast as The Lone Ranger in the upcoming Jerry Bruckheimer produced adaptation of the classic old-time radio and early television show created by George W.1Trendle. Depp will play a masked Texas Ranger in the Old West who rights injustices with the aid of his native American assistant, Tonto. He gallops along on his white horse Silver.1The character???s signature quote is ???Hi-yo, Silver, away!??? Pirates of the Caribbean writers Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio have been writing the script. No start or release dates have been announced.
b,121
b,121Depp must have signed a multi-picture deal with the studio, because it was also announced that the actor would play The Madd Hatter in Tim Burton???s 3D part live-action, part computer animated adaptation of Alice???s Adventures in Wonderland. Principal photography is set to begin in November, with a March 5th 2010 release date previously announced. Concept art from the film was shown, showing the classic Alice in Wonderland scenes done in Tim Burton style, complete with curved and slanted corners. Everything is really stylized. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb have huge heads, and are shaped like upward missiles.1None of the characters look like a dramatic departure from the traditional designs.
b,121
b,121At the conclusion of the presentation, Walt Disney Studios Chairman Richard W.1???Dick??? Cook announced ???How about another pirates movie!???? signaling that Depp was now signed for Pirates of the Caribbean 4.
b,121
b,121
b,121
b,121
h,121
font class="post"1

Comments

• don't forget he may still be the riddler....???

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Depp's in grave danger of sucking public affection dry if he continues in this fashion. I'm all for him getting his money but I really don't know if I can sit through another performance of his which is based entirely on quirky ticks and the three above all lend themselves to this approach.b,121b,121I'm trying to remember the last time I saw Depp in a film where he blew me away with his acting rather than a comic performance and I'm struggling.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121don't forget he may still be the riddler....???
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121please no

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Depp's in grave danger of sucking public affection dry if he continues in this fashion. I'm all for him getting his money but I really don't know if I can sit through another performance of his which is based entirely on quirky ticks and the three above all lend themselves to this approach.
    b,121
    b,121I'm trying to remember the last time I saw Depp in a film where he blew me away with his acting rather than a comic performance and I'm struggling.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121ok not really blew me away but I thought that creepy one with the corn was good, at least until the end...Secret Windowb,121b,121Finding Neverland was dope and Donnie Brasco was pretty damn good too.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    wheres1the dead man deppb,121b,121I have not (and will not) watch this sweeney todd shitb,121b,121but what i hate most i him getting praise and awards for stupid roles like thatb,121b,121caricatural acting for dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzb,121 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ehhzu7.gif" alt="" 21

/font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Depp's in grave danger of sucking public affection dry if he continues in this fashion. I'm all for him getting his money but I really don't know if I can sit through another performance of his which is based entirely on quirky ticks and the three above all lend themselves to this approach.
    b,121
    b,121I'm trying to remember the last time I saw Depp in a film where he blew me away with his acting rather than a comic performance and I'm struggling.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121ok not really blew me away but I thought that creepy one with the corn was good, at least until the end...Secret Window
    b,121
    b,121Finding Neverland was dope and Donnie Brasco was pretty damn good too.1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I haven't seen Secret Window or Neverland but agree he was decent in Brasco and that was probably about the last role I can remember him really acting in rather than gurning. Sad that it's going back around ten years to get that.

• Tim Burton needs to fall back on the remakes.1He should stick to doing his own thing -- the Willy Wonka and the Apes remakes both blew, big time.1b,121b,121Of course, the entire entertainment industry needs to fall back on the remakes as well -- especially ones that you are pretty sure won't even be close to being as good as the original.b,121b,121That said, a Lone Ranger film sounds like1it might be OK.

Sleep Hollow's probably the only live action Tim Burton film I have enjoyed since Ed Wood and even that felt like he was beginning to tread old ground.

• I thought Sleepy Hollow was pretty good, too.1As saccharine as it was, I actually enjoyed Big Fish for the most part. I thought it was a pretty solid father-son movie. b,121b,121But yeah, Burton has fallen off the wagon.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sometimes being an incredible art director makes up for being an otherwise so-so filmaker/director - I think this is the case with Burton.b,121b,121Maybe Depp is trying to channel Chaplin or something.b,121b,121I like how awkward and out-of-place he and Vanessa Paradis are at the awards shows.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    When are people gonna realize that Depp is decent actor and not great.b,121b,121Im so sick of the hype.

Depp always looks like he's channelling his inner teen at awards shows. b,121I much preferred him when his on screen acting was all about understatement rather than turning everything up to 11. b,121I think I will die a happy man if I can avoid watching any more Burton films set in a fairytale version of reality featuring Depp in pale make up.